Jeff Co. Patriots

HEATHHELTON

Yes Eagle Eye. Twisting the subject around on the kids isn't exactly productive though. The kids aren't the problem. All three of the kids you mentioned were very good role models and athletes as well.

The problem, if you'll read back, is the program. Talent or not, the program doesn't use what the school offers. Kids are cut and folks are wondering why. Kids aren't trying out and folks are wondering why.

You mention the kids aren't motivated to work hard..........again, folks are wondering why. Simply put, the talent is there, the program isn't.

A fine example, John Huskey was on the freshman team. He was cut as a sophomore so he focused on football after that and didn't go out his junior year after being cut the year before. He decides to go out again his senior year, despite being cut as a sophomore and lo and behold, he's cut again as a senior. Bottom line is, he's one of the most talented basketball players in the school. He was cut twice and 'motivated' to not even try out once.

These are EXACTLY the problems kids are facing at JCHS.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Eagle Eye.  Twisting the subject around on the kids isn't exactly productive though.  The kids aren't the problem.  All three of the kids you mentioned were very good role models and athletes as well.

The problem, if you'll read back, is the program.  Talent or not, the program doesn't use what the school offers.  Kids are cut and folks are wondering why.  Kids aren't trying out and folks are wondering why.

You mention the kids aren't motivated to work hard..........again, folks are wondering why.  Simply put, the talent is there, the program isn't.

A fine example, John Huskey was on the freshman team.  He was cut as a sophomore so he focused on football after that and didn't go out his junior year after being cut the year before.  He decides to go out again his senior year, despite being cut as a sophomore and lo and behold, he's cut again as a senior.  Bottom line is, he's one of the most talented basketball players in the school.  He was cut twice and 'motivated' to not even try out once.

These are EXACTLY the problems kids are facing at JCHS.

825421274[/snapback]

I find it hard to believe that any Division 1 prospect has ever been cut from a Jeff Co in Sinard's tenure. I agree that there may be some kids that are borderline that are cut and another borderline player kept in his place. In the case of last year, a kid that would have more than likely sat for the majority of the year was cut. A new senior was picked that had not played for Sinard the previous year. He too sat the majority of the season. Either way, the choice did not help or hurt the team enough to matter as far as I know. I agree with a comment made earlier, the talent pool for basketball in Jeff Co is just not outstanding. I cant name more than a couple of kids over the past 10 years that could have suited up for a D-1 program, but Sinard has had some successful seasons. They compete every year for the District championship and tournament, and have won them both a good amount of times. They play in a competitive conference and region and are usually eliminated from region play by a team that eventually winds up playing in the state tournament. As stated earlier, a lot of good kids have successful careers playing for Jeff Co and go on to be successful after graduation, although they didn't win a state championship or sign a Div 1 basketball scholarship.

As for the example given (Huskey), I saw him play as a freshman, and while he was a decent player, I dont believe he is great enough to come in and help the team as a senior that has been out of the system for a couple of years. It doesnt make you a good team basketball player just because you are a great rec league player or play really well at the community center.

Edited by HEATHHELTON

Doesn't really matter. Jefferson County had the best team last year since the days when Parker, Etherton, Shiverdecker, Woods and the rest of them were there and they still got blew out by SH on two occasions. The fact of the matter is, the school is never going to produce enough talent to compete with the likes of Science Hill and other schools of that caliber. The talent is just not there. If you think replacing Holt on last years team with another average player is going to make a difference then...

Three points:

1. How Sinard picks his team is his business. He is the coach. End of discussion.

2. The whole East Tennessee area is lacking in Division I talent. Very few players over the years from anywhere in East Tennessee have been good enough to play at the D1 level. This area is probably the weakest in the state on a year-to-year basis in terms of talent, so any criticism of the Jeff County program in this regard is unfounded.

3. It seems that the Patriots have had a competitive, classy program during Sinard's tenure, so I'm not sure what all the discussion is about.

Three points:

1.  How Sinard picks his team is his business.  He is the coach.  End of discussion.

2.  The whole East Tennessee area is lacking in Division I talent.  Very few players over the years from anywhere in East Tennessee have been good enough to play at the D1 level.  This area is probably the weakest in the state on a year-to-year basis in terms of talent, so any criticism of the Jeff County program in this regard is unfounded.

3.  It seems that the Patriots have had a competitive, classy program during Sinard's tenure, so I'm not sure what all the discussion is about.

825424591[/snapback]

Great post

I am not a basketball fan and have not been to a game in three or four years and I am not talking as a person who knows basketball. A coach has the right to chose who he wants on his team. But I hear people talking about Mr. Huskey. I never seen him in a rec league or at the community center but I did see him win a Mid-Eight conference title and he was one of the stars on the team. With John desire and attitude even if he was sitting the bench he would be a benefit to any team.

Three points:

1.  How Sinard picks his team is his business.  He is the coach.  End of discussion.

2.  The whole East Tennessee area is lacking in Division I talent.  Very few players over the years from anywhere in East Tennessee have been good enough to play at the D1 level.  This area is probably the weakest in the state on a year-to-year basis in terms of talent, so any criticism of the Jeff County program in this regard is unfounded.

3.  It seems that the Patriots have had a competitive, classy program during Sinard's tenure, so I'm not sure what all the discussion is about.

825424591[/snapback]

All three points are well stated and true.

Seconded guessing is second nature.

It is easy for us to be a bleacher coach.

I did see in the Tribune where Sinard has a good sophmore class out. I believe the number of sophmores are 11. Looks as though he is tring to produce some young talent.

1100 Males at JCHS and only 10 Varsity spots?

The boys B-ball program at JCHS is not good, THERE IS TALENT THERE. How is it that the Jefferson County middle schools can dominate, but we almost never have a good boys b-ball team at the high school. Its all fine and dandy that coach Sinard choose 10 sophmores(its his choice) But I`m sure that all through the year, we will hear blame losses on inexperience players and us being young. WELL THAT WHATS HAPPENS WHEN YOU CHOOSE 10 SOPHMORES. There were very good Jr's and Sr's who were cut, he didn`t have to have a young team, he chose to. There was an outstanding b-ball at Maury who moved because the boys program was so bad, I`m sure he's not the 1st and won`t be the last. We had an outstanding boys b-ball team last year, but they underachieved. Last years team should have had a MUCH better record than they did, they had flashes greatness when they knocked off some very good teams (Maryville, Dobyns Bennett, Clinton) but thats all they were.

BTW what is the most successful season we have had with Sinard as coach?

The boys B-ball program at JCHS is not good, THERE IS TALENT THERE. How is it that the Jefferson County middle schools can dominate, but we almost never have a good boys b-ball team at the high school. Its all fine and dandy that coach Sinard choose 10 sophmores(its his choice) But I`m sure that all through the year, we will hear blame losses on inexperience players and us being young. WELL THAT WHATS HAPPENS WHEN YOU CHOOSE 10 SOPHMORES. There were very good Jr's and Sr's who were cut, he didn`t have to have a young team, he chose to. There was an outstanding b-ball at Maury who moved because the boys program was so bad, I`m sure he's not the 1st and won`t be the last. We had an outstanding boys b-ball team last year, but they underachieved. Last years team should have had a MUCH better record than they did, they had flashes greatness when they knocked off some very good teams (Maryville, Dobyns Bennett, Clinton) but thats all they were.

BTW what is the most successful season we have had with Sinard as coach?

825429356[/snapback]

Eagle Eye

Jefferson Co. Middle school talent Sucked last year. Two of our middle schools play teams that feed into AA high schools, Jefferson Middle went 0-18 or something I know they did not win a game, and the best from Maury Long decided to focus on baseball.

So the talent is definatly not in this years freshman class.

It would be nice to have winning programs with BBall at JCHS. We have seen many coaches over the years with little or no success. I do not feel that Sinard is the problem but it is the lack of talent. I sure do not see any basketball studs on the concrete courts around the county or in the rec center,or rec leagues..

Eagle Eye

Jefferson Co. Middle school talent Sucked last year.  Two of our middle schools play teams that feed into AA high schools, Jefferson Middle went 0-18 or something I know they did not win a game, and the best from Maury Long decided to focus on baseball.

So the talent is definatly not in this years freshman class.

It would be nice to have winning programs with BBall at JCHS. We have seen many coaches over the years with little or no success. I do not feel that Sinard is the problem but it is the lack of talent. I sure do not see any basketball studs on the concrete courts around the county or in the rec center,or rec leagues..

825433252[/snapback]

I`m not talking about last year, Jefferson Middle had a strong team with Deering, Acuff, Husky,ect and a strong team with Tyler Brown, Jeff Jennings, Parker Clement some years ago. Maury had a dominate team 2 years ago with Terrence Oglesby, Joey Belcher, Matt Price and others.

BTW if someone is going to the scrimmage with Halls tommorow, would you please post a report on here after the game?

Edited by JC4life

I`m not talking about last year, Jefferson Middle had a strong team with Deering, Acuff, Husky,ect and a strong team with Tyler Brown, Jeff Jennings, Parker Clement some years ago. Maury had a dominate team 2 years ago with Terrence Oglesby, Joey Belcher, Matt Price and others.

BTW if someone is going to the scrimmage with Halls tommorow, would you please post a report on here after the game?

825433628[/snapback]

Belcher and Price both made the team and Oglesby has moved, other than Husky who are all these stud players that you keep talking about that are so talented? I personally want to go see them play in the DBA or whatever league they are in. :):)

• 2 weeks later...

OMG A JEFF CO TOPIC THAT SECOND GUESSES A COACH OR COMPLAINS ABOUT THE COACH! WHAT A SURPRISE!

I don't know too many coaches out there who pick the worst team in their opinion on purpose so they can lose. I mean most coaches want to win and keep their jobs. I think the people that are getting on here and talking about how Coach Sinard should have done this and shouldn't have done that are just getting their feathers ruffled because, probably for the first time, their "political" pull inside the athletic community has been denied and they are realizing that lil bobby isn't as great as you thought he was. I'm not saying that the players that Sinard picked are better overall players than the ones he cut, but obviously in his mind the players he kept this year and last year were the ones he felt were not going to quit on him, be trouble makers at the school, or will be coachable and play inside of his system. I do believe the player who got cut instead of Mr. Holt also threw a hissy fit and quit in the middle of a game the previous year so maybe that had something to do with it.

Everyone wants to win and it is very possible that Sinard decided that he was going to sacrifice having a down year this year for having a great year in a couple of years. I'm sorry that the seniors this year have to go through this kind of year, but those things happen. All this talent that Pip keeps talking about is great pick-up game talent, but they aren't running an offense and you hardly see tough d played in those type of games.

Last year was probably Jeff. Co.'s shot at going deep into TSSAA playoffs, but they couldn't beat upper east tn, but then again no one in the IMAC beat the big 7 or 9 or whatever they are. Everyone knows that region 1 basketball belongs to Science Hill or Tennessee High those are the 2 schools with the most talent. Everyone knows that Jeff Co. football is THE sport at JC so until you have kids specializing on basketball then you are going to have an average team every year.

Edited by SkwerlSak4