Players to watch for in West TN

basketballnuts

How come when people talk West Tennessee BB they don't talk about Memphis?  What about LaToya Bullard, Jessica Jackson (Memphis Craigmont) and Aleshia Easley and Melissa Liebschwager (Memphis Briarcrest)?  Bullard and Jackson both have scholarships to U of Florida and Liebschwager is going to Fuhrman and could have gone on scholarship to LSU...While my daughter is not yet in HS, I've noticed on this website, that West TN BB players are largely overlooked.  I'm not a native Tennessean, so I don't know if there's some history here, or if most of the people who post here are from middle regions of TN.  Can someone help me understand?  Thanks in advance!

825417154[/snapback]

Another reason that most West Tennesseans do not include Memphis is because Memphis schools don't play anyone else in West TN. West TN has a majority of A and AA teams while Memphis has a number of AAA teams. We never hear anything about Memphis teams until tournament time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jennifer Davis of Obion Central could have a break out year.

825416851[/snapback]

You are right, rebfan, Jennifer Davis should indeed have a break-out year. Very talented, hard working kid who is driven to take it to another level.

Jenna Roney will also have a big year. Another hard working kid. From OC, I think Kendra Boykin, and Abby Reedy could also have very solid years for the Lady Rebels. GC's Dudley, Westview's Bellemy, DC's Akin all seem to be ready to build on solid seasons last year. Should be a fun year.

The Core group of scoring and play making ability is back for the Lady Rebels this season.. Davis showed shades of what she can do beyond the perimeter last season and with an off season of work and year's experience under her belt, she should be more comfortable this year as her role will be defined even more.. Roney playing inside, hey she could dominate as she showed this last season at times. Reedy might not be 100% but hopefully she will be the Reedy of old as according to Big Mama(looong time OC fan) stated earlier, Abby is ready to go and perform. The freshmen class is talented, but don't expect a lot from them early.. Believe me, it'll happen in time.. The Sophomore, Junior and Senior classes have enough fire power to make this Lady Rebel team competitive for some time to come thumb Interesting to see how things will go with a new head coach taking over the program :D

The Core group of scoring and play making ability is back for the Lady Rebels this season.. Davis showed shades of what she can do beyond the perimeter last season and with an off season of work and year's experience under her belt, she should be more comfortable this year as her role will be defined even more.. Roney playing inside, hey she could dominate as she showed this last season at times. Reedy might not be 100% but hopefully she will be the Reedy of old as according to Big Mama(looong time OC fan) stated earlier, Abby is ready to go and perform. The freshmen class is talented, but don't expect a lot from them early.. Believe me, it'll happen in time.. The Sophomore, Junior and Senior classes have enough fire power to make this Lady Rebel team competitive for some time to come thumb  Interesting to see how things will go with a new head coach taking over the program :lol:

825422650[/snapback]

Are you ready for play by play of the Lady Rebels redbirdfan?

Another reason that most West Tennesseans do not include Memphis is because Memphis schools don't play anyone else in West TN.  West TN has a majority of A and AA teams while Memphis has a number of AAA teams.  We never hear anything about Memphis teams until tournament time.

825418522[/snapback]

Basically, the Commercial Appeal gives little coverage to anyone outside the Memphis/Shelby County area. The Jackson Sun gives no coverage to the Memphis area.

Right? Wrong? Who knows? That's just the way it is. The media has, over the years, dictated Memphis and West TN as being two seperate areas. Outside of basketball, the topic here, very few Memphis area teams play football, baseball, soccer, etc. outside of the Memphis area. I assume travel costs play a role in this.

Very few teams in West TN venture to Shelby County, because they can usually find a game in closer proximity to home. I also have a hunch that many West TN schools feel their fans feel intimidated by driving to/in the Memphis area.

crockettfan,

Myself, family and friends have been over to Memphis for several sporting and non-sporting events over the past 5-10 years and have never felt intimidated. I believe Memphis is getting a bad reputation here and around the state without justification. I think if the regions were alighned differently there would be more teams from Memphis in the state HS championships, the problem is they all have to beat each other to get to the state. Instead of the top four or eight from Shelby county playing each other they should play the top 4 or 8 teams from the east, middle and west TN.

Reedy might not be 100% but hopefully she will be the Reedy of old as according to Big Mama(looong time OC fan) stated earlier, Abby is ready to go and perform. The freshmen class is talented, but don't expect a lot from them early.. Believe me, it'll happen in time..

825422650[/snapback]

Has Abby even played any this year? I havent seen her play in any of the scrimmages or in Columbia, she is always in street clothes. I know how much of a competitor and hard worker she is, but is she just waiting for the season to start?

Also, from what Ive seen, the freshmen will play alot early. Two of the first 3 off the bench are freshmen and another gets plenty of time. I think they will make some noise this year. Just my opinion. thumb :)

crockettfan,

Myself, family and friends have been over to Memphis for several sporting and non-sporting events over the past 5-10 years and have never felt intimidated. I believe Memphis is getting a bad reputation here and around the state without justification. I think if the regions were alighned differently there would be more teams from Memphis in the state HS championships, the problem is they all have to beat each other to get to the state. Instead of the top four or eight from Shelby county playing each other they should play the top 4 or 8 teams from the east, middle and west TN.

825424323[/snapback]

Spree-

I don't disagree. I think many fans feel intimidated by going to Memphis- not just for saftey, but because of traffic as well. I don't disagree with you.

I have been to Melrose, Mitchell, and Ridgeway over the past few years, I can say I didn't feel intimidated at all except for Melrose, and the majority of the folks there were extremely nice to me.

No doubt that year-in, year-out that Memohis has the toughest basketball in the state. The number of players not only on Division I rosters but smaller schools (Div. II and III and NAIA) as well will tell you that. I graduated from Union University in Jackson, TN, and both our mens and ladies teams always featured Memphis/Shelby County talent.

Has Abby even played any this year? I havent seen her play in any of the scrimmages or in Columbia, she is always in street clothes. I know how much of a competitor and hard worker she is, but is she just waiting for the season to start?

Also, from what Ive seen, the freshmen will play alot early. Two of the first 3 off the bench are freshmen and another gets plenty of time. I think they will make some noise this year. Just my opinion. thumb :)

Don't know the status of Reedy yet, I think they are just taking every precaution with her that is possible.. Hopefully she'll get to play.. And yes the Freshmen class will be plenty of playing time, I just hope not too much pressure is placed on them to soon to be the scorers on the team :)

crockettfan,

Well I'll have to admit that Melrose (Orange Mound/North Memphis) is very inner-city urban type area.  But they produce some really good athletes who may not have opportunities to attend college otherwise.  The main problem in Memphis is City govt. and education system, they present negative reflections upon themselves and anyone involved.  There's a growing trend migrating students toward private schools within Shelby Co. area, the reason? For discipline, quality education, accountability, safety, and for those who can afford it.  Within the next few years the DII schools from Memphis/Shelby Co. will dominate several sports.

825424665[/snapback]

The kids that played for Melrose when we played against them a few years back were quality kids- sports gave them the opportunity to avoid many of the nieghborhood's negatives. I agree that the city/county government and school boards have done a wonderful job of botching the image of the schools.

I work in the Memphis area, and one of my co-workers' sons spent the entire summer having to worry about whether or not he was going to be able to play basketball this year, or if the entire athletic program would be disbanded (and he attends Bolton, a county school). I am a firm believer that sports are secondary to education, but what will happen to many of these inner-city kids if they are denied the opportunities to compete? Most of these kids cannot migrate to private schools because of financial reasons.

There, but for the grace of God, goes I. Or you. Or our kids. Doesn't seem fair that the kids are always the losers when politics and school are mixed.

Seems like issues such as prayer in schools and seperation of church and state often take the place of what is really important- ensuring that all kids in the school system have the opportunity to educate themselves and better their lives.

Oh well, enough rambling.................