Parents watching practice

stovepipe

Parents are allowed at our practices and they stay very quiet. The coaches do the coaching and there is no instruction from anyone that is not on the mats. The only person that talks in our wrestle-offs is the coach who is the referee, no cheering, no coaching to either wrestler, silence, except for the referee and two wrestlers going at it. When the match is over the rest of the team drums the mat instead of clapping for the wrestlers, still no talking, no cheering, no congratulations, just silence. It is pretty awesome!

825418029[/snapback]

Actually, this silence and tight regulation/structure is most common at your best programs, which I have seen over the past 30 years including our Coach Gonyea's, also,,, without question, the Logdon's, Jackson's, Simpson's, Henry's, Connell's, Morgan's, ect..

You must keep things under control or you lose focus.

soms

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will make my comment on this. Stovepipe you have created a good thread. Good work! Is wrestling that much different than other sports? Can you see a football coach running his practices with parents hanging on the fence watching and heaven forbid making comments during practices. I think most college athletic practices are closed to the public and this is for a good reason. Can you see your local high school basketball coaches open the gym for all the parents to come in to watch practice? Come on parents, do you go sit in on your sons classes during school when you want to watch what you son is learning. Oh! Gee son that was a great answer to the chemistry problem!!!! I am being a bit sarcastic here but trying to make a point. I have made a point to not sit in on my sons practices because I want him to he him. Not wrestle for me. Then again, it all comes back to what kind of a relationship the father and son have. Do you trust your son to do his best when you are not watching? Or do you think he preforms better while you watch his every move? I prefer to let my son grow up on his own in the practice room and on the mat. However, I will be there to help guide him if he needs me. Sorry for rambling on.

Mr. G,

I think you're misinterpreting what the coaches are saying. Everything in your post is true and believe me, coaches LOVE parents like you. Everything you do is in a positive way. It hasn't been a distraction to the coach or the team and you constantly back up your coach. It seems that you reinforce what the coaches are trying to teach and that's HUGE with dealing with our kids. I have parents like you and my program wouldn't be where it's at without them. I believe the difference between you and the topic of this thread is the fact that some parents take away from the practices and what the coach is trying to accomplish. You have seen the parents that "know more/know a better way." When this rubs off on their children, it's hard for them to truly grasp what the coaches are trying to do for them. Mr. G, keep up the support. Your coach will appreciate it!

As wrestler, I really didn't like my dad coming in and watching me practice. I sort of felt like I had to impress him and was afraid of screwing up. However, he was the head of the booster-club and was in the room a lot to talk to coach about stuff when we were wrestling on our own. Our coach enjoyed having parents come in and teach some new things to the guys, as long as it was OK with coach and the parents knew what they were talking about.

I've never seen issues with parents present to watch practices, but they should not get involved with what is happening - that is the Coach's job. In our practice room, we've always had parents and not always the same one. I think our coaching staff have found it helpful to have an extra body to go make an ice bag or sit with a kid when needed.

What drives me crazy are these parents that run out on the mat during matches. During a match several years ago my son was wrestling a kid that had a history with a knee. My son had no clue, but shot on this guy. This guy's Mom came out of the stands and onto the mat that my son was intentionally trying to hurt her child. Immediately afterward, my son made a stand, "You are never to come onto the mat, unless the official or coach tell you to!" Now mind you, I had never gone on the mat to begin with.

A couple of years ago, my son was injured and bleeding, but I stayed where I was. A coach/friend of mine came up and asked what happened and what was I doing standing where I was? I told him that I was not allowed onto the mat until a coach involved in the match asked for me. Fortunately is was nothing serious, just a few stitches and don't wrestle off the mat and hit your head on the gym floor situation.

As young or new athletes come into the sport, someone needs to explain to the parents that the coaches, officials and trainers are very competent in handling wrestling related injuries and to hold back until you are asked for. We know you love your children, but your children also have pride - even when they are hurt.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Mr. G. I too watch films and critique my sons (2) in wrestling. I discuss all the aspects of wrestling, including nutrion, weight loss, strength training and conditioning. I do not do these things during an organized practice. I am a parent, I am not a coach, though have coached through our kid's wrestling club. I respect our coaches totally. I talk to the coaches before practice and after practice, but not during practice, unless the coach speaks to me. That is his time and I respect that. We go to all kinds of tournaments through Spring and Summer and I am involved in my sons wrestling very much.

I think this was a good discussion that got befuddled in the the Irish thread.

But what does everyone think about this? Lets not focus on parents stopping by to see whats going on.  I think everyone would say that was ok. But what do you (wrestlers, coaches, and parents) all think about parents coming to all practices?

Pros - keep everyone involved, participation, fan support

Cons - coach losing control of practice, wrestler embarassed because momma is there, overagressive fathers, kids turning off the dad's of their friends b/c they whoop up on their son, less room in the room (redundant), distractions (talking, cell phones)

I think there are more cons than pros but I am interested on how your room operates.

-Stovey

825417056[/snapback]

The definition of practice to a coach AND player (in this case wrestler) as I see it:

A time for the COACH and the WRESTLING TEAM to condition, teach, learn, bond, excel, etc...

The definition of a game or match:

When mother and dad and siblings and fans can come and SEE what the COACH and WRESTLER learned in practice.

Hey Dad (and sometimes Mom, now that's weird seriously) stay away from the practices. Unless you're a dad that is INVITED by the coach to help teach the wrestlers.....stay away. It's rude, the wrestlers don't like it, the coaches don't like it, and lots of parents don't appreciate you being there either.