Greenbrier vs Marshall Co.

Touchdown4Bobcats

Only a few more hours till game time and all I have to say is.....GO BOBCATS!!! From what I hear they've had some good practices this week and are ready to play tomrrow night. I'm glad to hear that Dustin Cole is gonna be back out there...GOOD LUCK! Hope to hear that the stands are packed and I expect nothing but things from our CATS! Good luck guys!!! thumb

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll only say this due to the way that it looks like this thread is about to go.....

Guys this topic was going along fine until hsfball jumped into a little banter between EZ and Lil Piggy.  Bomb states above that "I really wish Greenbrier would keep a football board a football board" yet you're the one that continually has to come here and try to get your jabs in at Greenbrier.  Or as you refer to it, [what do you call yourselves? - a city?] of Greenbrier.  If you guys want to talk football... Great!  Let's talk football.  If you only want to get into the Greenbrier threads to get this garbage going...  then you really need to step back and figure out why you get your jollies from arguing with high school kids on a message board.  Quit living off of past antics from a basketball game and just discuss football.  Go ahead.....  we'll all be waiting for your incredible reply.

825427969[/snapback]

Hey, let's not point finger because that was one little joke. If y'all were that holy, then you would have let it go and it would all pass over. However, someone had to start taking shots, and there is no way I wont defend myself.

Gah, I leave and yall have all the fun. Yankees, at least have a reason to provoke em next time. You know they just pack the thread with crap if you say anything, so at least have something they cant argue against ;) Crockett fans, dont worry, we dont associate any idiots from your neck of the woods that are talkin trash to the rest of you. Weve got our share too... And if Southside can make it past Crockett, dont worry, youll be hearin from us. When I say us, I mean the posters. I dont want anybody to misconstrue that the team is lookin past a game. Go Cats

Well yall all can argue all yall want, but as a white house fan after seeing the greenbrier defense against us i think they will go all the way in 3A ... we may have passed all over them but their run defense is unbelievable, definantly the best weve seen all year, and i dont know many teams in 3A that can get their passing game to go well enough to beat the bobcats. and ur definantly not going to be able to run well enough to beat them, so im taking greenbrier in this game... good luck to yall and ive said it once and ill say it again, i cant wait to cheer along with yall at the state before my devils play

Well yall all can argue all yall want, but as a white house fan after seeing the greenbrier defense against us i think they will go all the way in 3A ... we may have passed all over them but their run defense is unbelievable, definantly the best weve seen all year,  and i dont know many teams in 3A that can get their passing game to go well enough to beat the bobcats. and ur definantly not going to be able to run well enough to beat them,  so im taking greenbrier in this game... good luck to yall and ive said it once and ill say it again, i cant wait to cheer along with yall at the state before my devils play

825428395[/snapback]

Right back atcha WH thumb

Just a little over 11 hours until game time and I for one can't wait.

Raining in Lewisburg this morning but the rain is supposed to be replaced with some cool weather. As for the post that stated that the visitor side at Greenbrier holds water, Marshall County knows to well of the ankle deep water that stands on that sideline. This could turn into a rematch of 3 years ago. Wow , maybe I will sit in the truck if that happens.

Looking for a nice ride north this afternoon and a great game of football. Will someone please go and dry me seat and keep it warm for me. I would be forever grateful if you would. HA HA

Fatcat -- I have your number and will look you up this evening.

Best of Luck to both Teams and may the winner end up in the 'Boro

GO TIGERS !!!!!

Well yall all can argue all yall want, but as a white house fan after seeing the greenbrier defense against us i think they will go all the way in 3A ... we may have passed all over them but their run defense is unbelievable, definantly the best weve seen all year,  and i dont know many teams in 3A that can get their passing game to go well enough to beat the bobcats. and ur definantly not going to be able to run well enough to beat them,  so im taking greenbrier in this game... good luck to yall and ive said it once and ill say it again, i cant wait to cheer along with yall at the state before my devils play

825428395[/snapback]

Great point. The way that WH passed the ball against us that night is what makes me think they'll go all the way this year. You kept the pressure off of the QB and he and his receivers never missed a lick. I think you're right about GBs defense. If you can pass the ball well, you'll move it but if you only have to go with the run, you're going to find it difficult.

Also, congrats to Ladd.

Edited by NoDoubt

The following is a clip from the Marshall Gazette:

Greenbrier Playoff Preview

By Louis G. Scheuchenzuber

After registering an impressive 31-20 victory at Lexington in the first round of the state playoffs last week, the Marshall Co. Tigers will hit the road again this Friday, Nov. 12, for a rematch with Region 5-3A champion Greenbrier. Although Marshall Co. lost 23-13 to the Bobcats three weeks ago, the Tigers had chances to possibly win the game and came away with the feeling that they could defeat Greenbrier if given another shot. Early in the season, the Bobcats appeared to be an unstoppable juggernaut, as Greenbrier defeated perennial power David Lipscomb 14-6 in their second game of the year before recording lopsided victories over Beech, Montgomery Central, and Sycamore. The Bobcats eventually rose to the number two ranking in the Class AAA state polls, but their aura of invincibility took a hit in their eighth game of the season when Page pushed them to the limit before Greenbrier pulled out a 17-13 victory at home. Marshall Co. then had the Bobcats on the ropes the following week, as the Tigers trailed just 20-13 early in the fourth quarter and had the ball on the Greenbrier 5 yard line. The Bobcats, though, escaped with the win thanks to a touchdown saving interception by defensive back Cameron Armes in the end zone before mental mistakes by the Tigers helped Greenbrier drive the length of the field and run out the clock. Playing without starting quarterback Jacob Aldridge (5-9, 155, Sr.), who dislocated his elbow against Marshall Co., Greenbrier had a harder time than expected with Region doormat Giles Co. in their season finale, but eventually pulled away for a 28-7 victory. Aldridge, however, somehow managed to return for the opening round of the playoffs last week and the Bobcats seemed to get back on track, as they rolled to a 36-14 win over McNairy Central.

In their initial encounter against Greenbrier, Marshall Co. finished with just 230 yards of total offense, but did have success hitting big plays through the air, as quarterback Kevin Bishop completed 5-9 passes for 119 yards and a touchdown. The Bobcats’ pass defense was especially vulnerable down the middle of the field, as junior Demarcus Brown burned Greenbrier twice on seam routes for 90 yards and a touchdown. Senior wide receiver Art Wainwright could also be an important factor this week for the Tigers after catching 4 passes for 70 yards against Lexington, while fellow wide outs Rudy Lyles and Cameron Johnson can both stretch the field and have each made big plays this year. With Aldridge still playing cornerback for the Bobcats despite his injury, Marshall Co. may attack him more downfield in this contest if he is isolated in man coverage after he was beat for a 24-yard touchdown pass on a fade route against McNairy Central. Though Greenbrier’s aggressive defensive front seven held Marshall Co. to only 111 yards rushing and 3.8 yards per carry, MCHS did have success running the ball straight at the Bobcats in the second half of the contest and actually appeared to be wearing Greenbrier down. After seeing the Tigers have great success between the tackles with their power running game against Lexington last week, expect Marshall Co. to use a similar strategy this Friday. MCHS was particularly hard to stop when tight end Dean Hayes lined up in the backfield and provided a lead blocker for bruising tailback Keon Davis at the point of attack, as Davis rushed for 70 yards and 3 touchdowns. Lyles and Justin Cathey also ran extremely well for the Tigers last week, picking up 82 and 74 yards on the ground respectively, while tailback Josh Taylor can give Marshall Co. a good change of pace with his quick, slashing running style and could figure into the game plan this Friday as well.

Defensively, the task is fairly straightforward for the Tigers. If Marshall Co. can stop Greenbrier tailback Rodger Herndon (5-11, 185, Sr.) they will likely stop the Bobcats. That will of course be easier said than done, but it certainly isn’t impossible, as Page and Creek Wood both held Herndon to less than 75 yards rushing and under 4 yards per carry. In those two contests, Greenbrier averaged just 17.5 points and wasn’t able to put the game away until the late in the fourth quarter. Though he tallied 187 yards and two touchdowns against the Tigers on 33 carries in their regular season match up, Marshall Co. was at least able to slow Herndon down somewhat in the second half, limiting him to 77 yards on 18 carries. Not coincidentally, the Bobcats scored just three points during that span. Aldridge is a very efficient passer when working off of play action, but he did not fare very well against the Tigers when forced to throw in obvious passing situations. Although he dislocated the elbow on his non-throwing arm, Aldridge was likely affected by the injury last week against McNairy Central, as he completed just 5-12 passes for 74 yards while tossing three interceptions. Senior fullback Clint Russell (5-7, 180, Sr.) is a physical, hard nosed runner and blocker, but does not possess Herndon’s big play capabilities. At the receiver positions for Greenbrier, Armes (5-11, 180, Sr.) and Justin Pigg (5-8, 155, Jr.) are both solid route runners and have good hands, but neither has blazing speed nor great elusiveness. Pigg, however, did show excellent strength for his size when he bowled over a MCHS defender on an 18-yard touchdown catch in the first meeting between the two teams. After struggling mightily to stop the run earlier in the season, Marshall Co. has made substantial improvement in that area by bringing up their defensive backs and stacking the line of scrimmage. The Tigers will likely employ this strategy against the Bobcats and dare Aldridge to beat them through the air after seeing his struggles in the McNairy Central contest last week.

Though Greenbrier is favored to win this Friday, this certainly is not a case of David vs. Goliath. Marshall Co. has more than enough talent to hang with the Bobcats and probably has more overall team speed than Greenbrier. If the Tigers can play mistake free football like they did last week against Lexington, Marshall Co. has a good chance at pulling off the upset and keeping their season alive. The game is at Greenbrier and kickoff is at 7:00 p.m.

Hey...mctiger....the article forgot to mention those 800 lb. blocks of granite upfront for GB.

If you stack the box......it will probably hurt you this time. I felt we stopped Herndon as well as anyone...but we still lost 17-13. The GB team is more balanced than you think. You didn't get a full dose of the QB...see my keys for this game.

I like sportswriters.....their perspective never involves the chess moves that the coaches will make for tonight's game. I bet a lot of film dissection has been done on both sides.

It really is a game with two teams playing a similar offenses....the question is...will there be any big plays??? If MC has very many of them..then GB has a tough time.