MBA at MUS

timbdp

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be another great one. These teams are similar in many ways. Both are well coached, disciplined, hard nosed football teams with similar athletic ability. MBA's defense, especially the secondary, will have to step up big to get it done and the Big Red offense has to get going early and put points on the board in the first half. I agree that this game could come down to special teams. I know MBA has excellent special teams and I've heard that MUS does too. Maybe a Bubis blocked punt for a safety wins it B) . Anyway, I think that MBA comes in focused, undistracted, and ready to play. The Big Red comes out victorious led by their defensive front seven.

MBA 19, MUS 17

I wish I could see it but Memphis is a looooong ride from here. I gotta go with MUS. I really think MBA is not strong enough offensively to score enough to win. Don't get me wrong I am not saying the Big Red D is going to give up many points--just enough to lose. Should be a great game from two well matched, well coached teams.

MUS 21

MBA 13

Well, game day is here.

MUS has had a fine year (and probably should be undefeated), and this will once again be a tough task for the Big Red against a team that's likely salivating for its first DII title game appearance. I'm sure the Owl fans and players are pumped for this one. MBA needs to hunker down defensively and make some quick offensive strikes early. I hope the Big Red players aren't satisfied with prior years' success. The slate is clean tomorrow night.

Roll Red Roll.

Well, game day is here. 

MUS has had a fine year (and probably should be undefeated), and this will once again be a tough task for the Big Red against a team that's likely salivating for its first DII title game appearance.  I'm sure the Owl fans and players are pumped for this one.  MBA needs to hunker down defensively and make some quick offensive strikes early.  I hope the Big Red players aren't satisfied with prior years' success.  The slate is clean tomorrow night.

Roll Red Roll.

825428350[/snapback]

Good luck to your boys, roll. I'm rooting for both them and my Eagles to win so we can witness the third Clinic Bowl rematch in as many years. After all, the third time really is the charm.

This one should be interesting to follow.

This is definitely one of the best games across the state to witness tonight. Both teams will come in excited and well-prepared.

Pregame factors to consider are 1) Home Field Advantage....while I have read where MUS' support seems to be UP this year, MBA has played in tough atmospheres prior to and was in a similar situation two years ago. I think the biggest home field advantage for MUS is the 2 1/2 hour trip MBA will make later today. 2) Preparation....MUS earned a bye last week, and therefore, should be well-rested and relatively healthy. Not to mention, the extra week of preparation allows for tweeking of schemes, etc. MBA played Baylor last week, and you can't substitute game experience at practice. 3) Field Condition....As much rain as the state has received over the past couple of days, I would have to assume the condition of the field will not be great eventhough MUS is known to have one of the best fields in the city of Memphis. 4) Experience....Both teams have playoff experience, but only MBA has played in the State Championship since the creation of the Super 7.

If you weigh the factors above, the scale seems pretty balanced. Therefore, the team that can settle in the quickest, has the fewest number of turnovers, and wins the field position battle will end up victorious.

My hat is off to both teams for a fine year, and best of luck!

MUS 10

MBA 7

Final

Congrats to MUS. They have a lot of great senior leadership and gutted out a tough W tonight.

In a nutshell, MUS led 10-0 at the half, holding MBA to about 30 yards of O. MBA came out fighting in the second half, cutting the lead to 10-7 on a long pass. Moving ahead, MBA had a 19-yard FG blocked with a few minutes to go, but got the ball back, but after a 4th down conversion, MBA failed on another 4th down conversion in MUS territory. MBA missed RB Andy Snyder in this game.

MBA fought hard this year, losing its starting QB in the preseason. Soph David Howe filled in admirably and got some great experience. Considering the losses from last year's team, I am actually rather pleased with the season. I usually hang my head after a loss, but not tonight. It was a great year, and I also am happy for a few of my MUS buddies who have been waiting for this title game opportunity for some time now.

So, one last time, this season, ROLL RED ROLL.

The Clinic Bowl - MUS vs. BA - should be a great one, probably decided late in the 4th quarter. Good luck to both.

Edited by rollredroll

Congratulations to MUS and my consolations to MBA. I wanted to see another BA-MBA Clinic Bowl (kind of, considering past results...), but am excited to see MUS make its first DII title appearance! I must commend the Big Red for a gutsy season, one in which they probably overachieved (a Jeff Rutledge trademark). I know it will hurt the MBA players to go to class Tuesday knowing the biggest game of the season will be played right down the street and won't involve them; still, they should be proud of their efforts this season.

While BA and MBA have played in a number of significant games, BA's other most heated big-game rival over the years has, interestingly enough, been MUS.

Brentwood Academy and MUS have a storied history, the most recent chapter of which was written by the Owls with a 23-14 conquest earlier in the season. The Eagles and Owls have met 9 times in the postseason, but only once in the DII playoffs (a 26-0 BA win in the '01 semis). They have never met to decide the state title, but have met in the state semifinals three times ('01, '83, '80). Brentwood Academy holds a 7-2 postseason advantage.

The 10th playoff meeting between the two schools is undoubtedly the most important. I can't wait to be there.

mus' first half and mba's second half were two of the best defensive performances i've seen in a while. #'s 2, 10, 12 and 28 for mus are really good...2 and 12 run some sharp routes. i don't know why beckner or pilkerton wasn't carrying the ball behind birdsong on the goal line before hahnfeldt's fg attempt. birdsong was manhandling anyone coming his way...on one play he pancaked #22 for mus two or three times before throwing him face down in the flat. hanhfeldt has the range to kick from 55+, i don't understand keeping him off the field on 4th and 11 with the mus defense incredibly motivated. mba's defense was absolutely awesome in the second half led by bubis and tipton up front. where is rob park, mus qb, going to college? i have heard he is heading to purdue....is this correct?

good luck to mus against ba. keep their streak alive.....0-6