Greatest Teams in Tennessee History

judgesmales

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The student body of 60 and the 5 players story is amazing.

I say White Station, they always have a great team, especially when Dane Bradshaw was there.

825425140[/snapback]

Why is everybody still pushing Dane. He's nothing you will see this year as he rides the bench for Tennessee. Memphis cann't help him now, who needs a combo-guard who cann't score or defend. I see a transfer coming you can give a player alot of things til you get to the real stage!!!! Bradshaw is through!!!! Here comes D1 & D2 or CBU the best place for him!!!! Let's get some feedback on this.

Edited by pie

Those are some outstanding teams. But did the Whitehaven team win the state in 1985 ? Also here are some that I thought of the 1993 and 1994 BGA teams, the East Robertson teams of the late 1980's and the 1997 Perry County team. One of the BGA teams and the Perry County team went undefeated. Each had great talent and were well coached teams. Also the Union City teams int he 1990's were very good and also well coached as well as those mid-90's Science Hill teams.

How about this for the greatest ever : the Linden High teams from 1955-57 who won the state 3 years in a row before classifications.

Why is everybody still pushing Dane.  He's nothing you will see this year as he rides the bench for Tennessee.  Memphis cann't help him now, who needs a combo-guard who cann't score or defend.  I see a transfer coming you can give a player alot of things til you get to the real stage!!!!  Bradshaw is through!!!! Here comes D1 & D2 or CBU the best place for him!!!! Let's get some feedback on this.

825426147[/snapback]

I think you would be suprised at how good he has been doing. He is a very solid backup PG behind C.J. Watson. His shooting has got better and hes dropped around 10 pounds if not more this season.

judgesmale, Whitehaven won the AAA state in 1985 at Vanderbilt. In single A, the East Robertson teams with Carlus Groves, Jimbo Graves, Marcus Bell, Tyrone Dotson, and Blakemore were outstanding. The BGA back-to-back state champs of 1993 and 1994 were excellent also. The Perry County team in the late 90's as well. The Cameron High state champs of 1970, 1971 were considered to be one of the best with 7-0 center David Vaughn Sr. (yes, David Vaughn of Whites Creek-Memphis-NBA's father), The 1965 Pearl High school team is considered by most who go back that far to have been the best. They won Negro national High School championship and the first integrated state tournament. Led by Ted "Hound" McClain who later played in the ABA, Les Hunter--UCLA, Walter Fisher-Fisk, Perry Wallace-Vandy. They were WAY ahead of their time. The Linden teams of 1955, 56, and 57 won it back-to-back led by Albert Ellison so they must have been really strong.

Edited by bigchief

It's hard to argue with the Melrose team of 1973-74. Linden from the '50's is a good answer! That Pearl team from 1965 was awesome. It is a shame and a disgrace that they couldn't have competed with everyone. I'm glad those days are over! The Riverside teams of the late 60's and into the early 70's were very good also. Nobody has really mentioned the Bolton teams of Coach Joe Gray (was that his name? -- doesn't sound right) in the late 70's.

;) The 1987 East Robertson team could be one of the best ever Class A teams in Tennessee.They went 36-1 losing only to University Hgts of Hoptown,Ky. Fitz Jones was Mr. Baskerball and Carlos Groves was only a Sophomore.All five starters played college ball as well as the 6-7-8 men off the bench. The next year they repeated 37-2 and made it three in a row Groves senior year.

How about the great Riverside teams that won 60 odd straight games in a row when there was no classification in size? That would be late 60s or so in time.

Richie Fuqua was the star, went to Oral Roberts in their hey day and averaged about 40 pts a game in college, drafted by the Celtics but had blown his knee out.

After they, Riverside, had been so succesful in the late 60s, Fuqua was followed by Anthony "Woosie" Roberts  and the winning continued. He also went to Oral Roberts then on to the ABA/NBA with the Denver Nuggets before he sucummbed to drugs.

For you youngsters out there, Oral Roberts is somewhat of an afterthought now, but in the late 60s to mid 70s Oral had one of the best teams money could buy. :~)

825425095[/snapback]

That would be 1968-69 to be exact. You are right about Fuqua. WOW could that kid shoot the ball and to think he played with no three point line. I remember the state tournament at Vanderbilt, and Nashville Stratford having an outstanding team as well. They had a big kid 6'8" or so that had a heart murmer and could not play the entire game but was a horse none the less. His name escapes me but they were very good as well.

That would be 1968-69 to be exact. You are right about Fuqua. WOW could that kid shoot the ball and to think he played with no three point line. I remember the state tournament at Vanderbilt, and Nashville Stratford having an outstanding team as well. They had a big kid 6'8" or so that had a heart murmer and could not play the entire game but was a horse none the less. His name escapes me but they were very good as well.

825428996[/snapback]

You are old school! The big kid was Ray Maddux who played at Vandy and whose son, Drew, also played at Vandy. The 4 semi-finalists in 1969 - Memphis Melrose, Stratford, Jackson Central-Merry and Riverside were all very good. Riverside beat Stratford in the finals.

The 1966 Pearl team however was better than any of these teams in my opinion.

You are old school!  The big kid was Ray Maddux who played at Vandy and whose son, Drew, also played at Vandy.  The 4 semi-finalists in 1969 - Memphis Melrose, Stratford, Jackson Central-Merry and Riverside were all very good.  Riverside beat Stratford in the finals.

The 1966 Pearl team however was better than any of these teams in my opinion.

825429018[/snapback]

I am old school, and you are right I remember Maddux did play for the Commodores in college but I'll take your word on the Pearl team because that is even a little bit before my time. I remember Drew Maddux as well but did not know that was his son.

Edited by Big Daddy

I am old school, and you are right I remember Maddux did play for the Commodores in college but I'll take your word on the Pearl team because that is even a little bit before my time. I remember Drew Maddux as well but did not know that was his son.

825429216[/snapback]

1966 Pearl had Perry Wallace, Ted "Hound" McClain, Jimmy Douglas, Walter Fisher, etc. 12 guys who all dunked during warmups. Undefeated state champs.

Edited by Bighurt