Greatest Teams in Tennessee History

judgesmales

I think the 1996-1997 team from Cleveland High School team was one of the best teams I've ever seen. They had 3 All-Staters (Vincent Yarbrough, Del Baker, and Russell Ware) in the starting lineup. Ware was incredible, I think he was better than Yarbrough, but he never played AAU and never really got seen. Don't get me wrong, Yarbrough was (and still is) an excellent player, as I heard that he had a great summer with the Spurs and almost got picked up. They had an All-American tailback (Stephon Woods) at point guard. They sent 6 players (Yarbrough, Baker-Tennessee, Ware-Martin Methodist; Joel Zimmerman-Anderson College, Shaneta Brown-Trevecca Nazarene; and Gene Henley-Carson Newman) to notable schools. Zimmerman and Henley were only sophomores on that team and never got off the bench! BTW, has anybody either seen or heard from Henley? He reminded me of a Grant Hill/Scottie Pippen type player, but I haven't seen him since he left for Carson-Newman.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter

Giles County from 2 years ago!!! They had a ton of talent who all seemed to play together that year. Playing them at their place in the regional fianl was a nighmare, end of story.

It's hard to argue with the Melrose team of 1973-74.  Linden from the '50's is a good answer!  That Pearl team from 1965 was awesome.  It is a shame and a disgrace that they couldn't have competed with everyone.  I'm glad those days are over!  The Riverside teams of the late 60's and into the early 70's were very good also.  Nobody has really mentioned the Bolton teams of Coach Joe Gray (was that his name? -- doesn't sound right) in the late 70's.

825428652[/snapback]

There have been a number of great teams but I have to go with '74 Melrose. Three All Americans (John Gunn, James Bradley, & Alvin Wright.) plus a deep bench and great Coach. The score in the State Championship game was 66 to 33! The great Riverside Teams of the late 60's are right up there too.

I am old school, and you are right I remember Maddux did play for the Commodores in college but I'll take your word on the Pearl team because that is even a little bit before my time. I remember Drew Maddux as well but did not know that was his son.

825429216[/snapback]

Gentlemen, that was a great final 4 that I had the opportunity to witness. Too Tall Jones played on that Jackson Central Merry team that lost to Melrose in the Consolation game. Central Merry also had a big guy named Fuller on that team. The coach of Riverside, Dorsey Siims, went on to win a couple of state championships at Melrose later.

Old Cameron High of Nashville had a good run in the early 70's. They were led by David Vaughn Sr. and were on of the better teams I remember seeing. Does anybody remember the name of the point guard of that team that was real good also. If I remember correctly they went undefeated in either '70 or '71.

I think the 1996-1997 team from Cleveland High School team was one of the best teams I've ever seen.  They had 3 All-Staters (Vincent Yarbrough, Del Baker, and Russell Ware) in the starting lineup.  Ware was incredible, I think he was better than Yarbrough, but he never played AAU and never really got seen.  Don't get me wrong, Yarbrough was (and still is) an excellent player, as I heard that he had a great summer with the Spurs and almost got picked up.  They had an All-American tailback (Stephon Woods) at point guard.  They sent 6 players (Yarbrough, Baker-Tennessee, Ware-Martin Methodist; Joel Zimmerman-Anderson College, Shaneta Brown-Trevecca Nazarene; and Gene Henley-Carson Newman) to notable schools.  Zimmerman and Henley were only sophomores on that team and never got off the bench!  BTW, has anybody either seen or heard from Henley?  He reminded me of a Grant Hill/Scottie Pippen type player, but I haven't seen him since he left for Carson-Newman.

825437218[/snapback]

You are the first person besides myself that I have ever heard say that Ware was better than Yarbrough, you forgot about the Westfeild cousins from that team also JP and Cordez I saw that team play but they are no way better than some of the old school teams from back in the day

The Cleveland team was good but I really don't think they were the best team in the tournament that year. I watched the whole tournament that year and the best team I saw was Perry County. They were only 37-0 and their average margin of victory--get this-- was 30+ points in the state tournament . They were on a completely different level than any team at the tournament that year. They had great size, quickness, and wow could they shoot it. Those Science Hill teams of the mid-90's were also one of the best teams. How about BGA of 1993-94 who beat Goodpasture with Ron Mercer, Drew Maddux and Sam Howard.

Edited by attila