Memorable Games

THSVikings2004

1994 South Pittsburg / Marion County game. 1st game of the season at South Pittsburg.

Eric Westmoreland intercepts a pass and runs it back for a touchdown in the first quarter. Extra Point was no good. Marion County wins 6-0 and goes on to win the AAA state championship and a 15-0 record.

South Pittsburg also wins the single A state championship and has a 14-1 record.

Who will ever forget the t-shirts in Jasper that read, "#1 in the state but #2 in Marion County". Of course this was referring to the 6-0 loss by the Pirates to the county champs and AAA state champions, Marion County Warriors.

Also, the 2004 Marion County / South Pittsburg was a heartbreaker by the Pirates as well. Who could ever forget the 89 yard bomb from Travis Jones to Scott Wilson with less then a minute to play to beat South Pittsburg on their home field.

both are classics

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two that come to me off of the top of my head:

1. Fulton vs. Catholic in last year's quarterfinals (2005)

- The definition of a "down to the wire" football game

2. Dobyns-Bennett vs. Sevier County

- SC was #1 in the state, DB was #2. SC scores w/ no time left and went for

two to win it, but was stopped by DB

Bill#49 Maybe you can help me with this one!

I don't remember the year I think it was 1990 or 1991 But Sequatchie Co. v. Marion Co at Sequatchie Co. No one set down the whole game. Sequatchie Co won 7-6. I remember the last play Marion through a heck Mary in the end zone and both players went up for it and it wasn't known who had it until Brian Rhulling (SCHS) got up with the ball and the stands went wild! That is the most memorable game that I have watched I'll have to think about the one that I have played in!

Oak Ridge Central in the State Semi-Finals 1991. Todd Helton at QB for Central and Shawn Summers at runningback for Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge won 42-41 in OT on a blocked extra point to send them to the state championship game. They won that game 30-0 over Gallatin.

This by far is the greatest game I've seen, not, because Oak Ridge won, but, because two great teams who refused to give up, and played hard the entire game, even into overtime. It really was a shame that their had to be a loser. I can remember walking out of the stadium after Oak Ridge beat Gallatin for the championship, and hearing a Gallatin fan say "Well at least we were the second best team in the state" and I turned around and said, I'm sorry but the second best team in the state is Knox Central. I've seen Todd Helton since then twice, and both times I remind him, how many Oak Ridge fans felt bad for him and that lost. He was a class act!

I don't remember the year I think it was 1990 or 1991 But Sequatchie Co. v. Marion Co at Sequatchie Co. No one set down the whole game. Sequatchie Co won 7-6. I remember the last play Marion through a heck Mary in the end zone and both players went up for it and it wasn't known who had it until Brian Rhulling (SCHS) got up with the ball and the stands went wild! That is the most memorable game that I have watched I'll have to think about the one that I have played in!

Why did you write "heck Mary?"

Did you think it was "heck Mary?"

It's called a Hail Mary, as in

"Hail Mary, full of Grace...."

It was the 1990 game I believe. The reason I say that is because Sequatchie County won the district (back then) and Marion County went on in the play-offs and won their first state championship. The only team up to that point in time to come in second in their district and win a state championship.

Edited by Bill#49

i would have to say that the oak ridge vs. ooltewah game from 2005 was one of the best.. oak ridge had a 30-7 lead to start the fourth quarter and a huge hit by dewayne caldwell sparked a comeback win for the owls. ooltewah 42 oak ridge 36

man i can still remember hearing the score of that game after farragut beat soddy daisy.. too bad we went on to lose 2 games @OR.. but we did beat ooltewah twice.