Memorable Games

THSVikings2004

Best HS game I ever saw was in 97 (I think), when Maryville beat Halls at Halls.

Halls took the lead with about 2 minutes left in game. Maryville moved down the field and kicked a FG with under 30 sec. in game. Was for the region championship. If memory is correct, Maryville won the state that year. Had an excellent little receiver, Sweatland (?).

bbs

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my most memorable one.  I think that minute and change was the only time MBA trailed the entire year.

What often goes unmentioned in that drive is that Barton Simmons laid a ferocious block on one of those plays on the drive that sprung Martin on a long run after being forced out of the pocket.  Ricky Bowers said it best to the media that year when he said that Simmons was an "uncommon hitter".  I'm sure many opponents in the Ivy League have found that out when they've come to play Simmons at Yale during the past five years.

825450131[/snapback]

I remember one "uncommon hit" removing several teeth of one unfortunate CBHS player's teeth in the 99' Clinic Bowl. That tape could serve as a highlight tape of some of Barton's "uncommon hits"

I have MANY memorable ones but i will try and keep it short and sweet

Germantown VS Gallatin i think it was 81 or 83 a Gtown was HUGE and won the game BIG

RIVERDALE vs Rhea County 86 Rhea county had Andy kelly and a VERaY good defensive lineman that to this day everytime i hear the song bad to the bone i think of that game they played that song the whole game there was also a BIG hail storm during the game and we was riding in the WARRIOR WAGON and the trip on the way home was quite adventurous

RIVERDALE vs oakland 85 86 very close games the scores were like 14-7 and 7-0 i think the 7-0 was an ovetime game in 85 those were great defensive battles coach told us if you stop hugle you win the game

Riverdale Vs oakland 98 both games we won 1 and they won in the playoffs MTSU was PACKED very electric atmoshpere

Smyrna vs cleveland i cant remember the exact year but it was larry daniels SR year with luke powell as a freshman reciever that was a "dog" fight from begginning to end with cleveland winning on 26 counter play

also all of the bluecroos bowls RIVERDALE has been in win or lose it truly is an honor to get there no matter how many times you have been

1996 Class 3-A Second Round -- White House 31, Humboldt 28

White House trails 28-24 with 1:19 left, facing 4th-and-19 from its own 19-yard line (enough 19's there to make an omen, you think?)

Offensive coordinator Jim Grantham calls for a screen pass, completely fooling the Humboldt defense, who rushes in on Jon Finch in the pocket. Finch lobs a screen over their head, finding slot back Dean Misch, who follows his offensive line (ALL FIVE OF THEM) until he breaks loose at the Humboldt 30 and is wrestled down at the Humboldt six for a first down and gain of 75 yards. On the next play, Finch hits a sliding Corey Coker in the endzone for the go-ahead touchdown.

Without a passing game, Humboldt again turns to super tailback Kelsey Williams, who already has over 250 yards rushing in the game. Following the lead blockof Toby Champion, Williams runs around the field into Blue Devil territory as time expires, where he is tackled to preserve the victory.

Humboldt was ranked No. 1 in Class 3-A, and the previous year had beaten White House 45-3 on the same field. White House did lose the next week to Kingsbury, however the momentum propelled them to a 15-0 season and state championship in 1997.

Honorable Mention:

1995 Class 3-A Semifinals -- Humboldt 21, Portland 20

Portland trails by two touchdowns and scores twice in the final eight minutes, including a miracle fourth down pass play by quarterback Matt Taylor (to a receiver, No. 6) as time expired. Trailing by one, Portland head coach Roger Perry elects to go for two, instead of kicking the tying extra point, and fullback Tim Hodges is swarmed on a belly call to the right side by Williams and Champion to end the game and the comeback.

Humboldt went on to the state championship game, where Eric Westmoreland scored four touchdowns to lead Marion County to the title.

Edited by letsgodevils

MBA_BA 1996--- pre split, 2 best teams in the state, quarter finals, BA wins in double OT on a short run by Tito Lee-- BA goes on to the title, doesn't play a close game the rest of the way

MBA-Bolles (Jacksonville, FLA) 1999--- Big Red vs one of the top programs in FLA, Bolles takes the lead for the 1st time with 1:30 to go, Ingle Martin orchestrates a 70 yd drive in about 6 plays, running the last 20 himself for the win

825450114[/snapback]

Those were the exact two I was going to say. I thought Kirsten Biggers had the winning TD run though, and if my memory serves me correct, he fumbled the ball, and there was a controversy as to whether or not it was a TD. Rumor has it that he even admitted this to a friend at UT who played on that MBA team. Either way, greatest game I ever saw. As for the Bolles game. What a dog fight. We hit them like they hadn't been hit before. Barton, Tate, and Moses lead the way on Defense with Ingle running the show on O. Bolles couldn't believe what happened that night.

Those were the exact two I was going to say.  I thought Kirsten Biggers had the winning TD run though, and if my memory serves me correct, he fumbled the ball, and there was a controversy as to whether or not it was a TD.  Rumor has it that he even admitted this to a friend at UT who played on that MBA team.  Either way, greatest game I ever saw.  As for the Bolles game.  What a dog fight.  We hit them like they hadn't been hit before.  Barton, Tate, and Moses lead the way on Defense with Ingle running the show on O.  Bolles couldn't believe what happened that night.

825695057[/snapback]

Actually, it was Tito who had the winning TD. The play before that, they ran Biggers on a sweep to the left. While stretching for the pylon, he fumbled the ball on the one yard line then the ball rolled into the endzone and out of bounds. The ref was standing right there, but missed it...tough call, though...we didn't even realize it until we watched the film.

I constantly say this game when its brought up. Now this game isn't memorable for its meaning, but simply for its finish. Maryville/William Blount in 99 went down to the wire and then into overtime. Maryville scored first and went for the field goal, it was good. William Blount struck back and opted to go for two. William Blount failed the conversion 6-7 times, each time they failed Maryville was flagged. The 8th time William Blount converted a pass into the corner, no flag. The Maryville fans stood there stunned while they watched the William Blount fans attempt to rip down one goalpost, fail, then move down the field to try for the other one...failing again. Great game, sad outcome, but still great.

2000- Alcoa/Maryville came down to a fumble on the goal line! 14-7 Alcoa

1989- Alcoa/Kingston (semis - I think it was Kingston) QB Kevin Jackson runs in for the game winning TD with secs left!!

2000-Alcoa/Goodpasture - Semis - GP goes for two with a min. left and is stuffed at the 1! (It was a hurricane that night!!) I scored to tie the game before the half!! :P

2001 - Alcoa/Goodpasture - Semis -GP blocks a punt and runs in for the game winning score!! I was sick to my stomach!

I've seen a few Maryville classics too, but I can't remember all of them!!

For me- gotta be the 1982 state championship in which Lincoln County defeated nationally ranked Gallatin 13-10 in OT. Lincoln County scored on first possession and never crossed midfield again. Gallatin was in Falcon territory 8-10 times and only came away with one TD. Lincoln county held Gallatin to a FG. First play from scrimmage in OT for LC was student body right with current Giles County coach Tim Johnson scoring. If memory holds johnson also had 2 tackles that game and about 28,000 fans were there. What a game- at least for Falcon faithful.