Ridgeway at Melrose

timbdp

Obviously, I don't know anything about either one of these teams being that I live in the other corner of the state. I have heard that Melrose has some great athletes, which wouldn't surprise me. I do have to say that I really admire the way Ridgeway has fought back from a 5-4 regular season to make it to the quarter-finals. I would probably pick Melrose over Ridgeway just because Melrose is undefeated and obviously talented to have been that way this far. I tend to lean toward going with the underdog though.

As far as close games go, I do know how Melrose feels. We have had two close games in the first two rounds. Friday night we beat Sullivan South 31-17 after beating them 52-7 in the regular season. It seems hard to get up for teams that you have already beaten handily.

Good luck to both. I can't make a call in this one.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have to say that I really admire the way Ridgeway has fought back from a 5-4 regular season to make it to the quarter-finals.

Ridgeway started the season 0-4 - losing to:

Hopkinsville, KY (undefeated regular season; don't know about playoffs)

Briarcrest (playing for the DII state championship)

Melrose (now 12-0)

Rogers AR (largest school in AR)

Their next game was supposed to be against Asheville, NC. It was to be played in E. TN but the effects of Hurricane Ivan caused the game to be cancelled. After 2 much needed weeks off, the Roadrunners were able to regroup and have won 7 straight since then. The biggest region win was against East. No one gave Ridgeway much of a chance in that game but they pulled it out in the last minute! The Hardin County game (first round state) was also won in the last minute - despite 4 turnovers in the game. I wouldn't say they KILLED Haywood...it was 6-6 at the half. The Roadrunners came out in the second half and took care of business. Ridgeway has come together as a team and played much better the last half of the season...let's just hope they can continue to roll!

Edited by crc

I wouldn't say they KILLED Haywood...it was 6-6 at the half.  The Roadrunners came out in the second half and took care of business.  Ridgeway has come together as a team and played much better the last half of the season...let's just hope they can continue to roll!

825433424[/snapback]

LOL @ crc's Lou Holtz 'poor mouthing of his own team' impression. It may have been 6-6 at the half ... but wasn't the end result something like 27-6? ... Hmmm ... ok, lets not say they 'Killed' them. Is "Gave them a THRASHING" more suitable? LOL! crc ... the score speaks for itself!

I am not poor mouthing my own team...but I was at the game. The Roadrunners definitely struggled in the first half...could not get into the endzone. Made 2 field goals, missed 2 field goals. Had trouble stopping Jacolbi Bond in the first half, too.

As I said, they played much better in the second half. Scored on their first posession, and the defense played awesome. It was still 13-6 at the end of the third quarter. Our next TD came with luck. 4th and 2 and the decision was made to go for it. Jumped offsides, now 4th and 7. Attempted and missed a 48 yard field goal but a flag was thrown for running into the kicker - 5 yard penalty. 4th and 2 again, decided again to go for it. Picked up the first, then scored on 2nd down. The last TD of the game came with about 3 minutes left and Haywood had all but given up.

I would never poor mouth my own team...but I don't think we KILLED or THRASHED anyone. The score doesn't always speak for itself!

All I have to say is that Melrose's luck has finally run out.  I predicted they would get beat last week, and it sounds like they should have but caught a few breaks.  This week will not be the same story.  It sounds like Ridgeway is playing good, and I am predicting them to be victorious as well.  Melrose loses by a TD.

825433898[/snapback]

Allow me to post the next one for you.

"All I have to say is that Melrose's luck has finally run out. I predicted they would get beat last week, and the week before that. It sounds like White House is playing good, and I am predicting them to be victorious as well. Melrose loses by (random number)."

Sounded like your Maryville boys struggled and might have gotten a bit lucky, while Melrose barely had to break a sweat. I'm sure it won't stop you from yapping more, of course.

Allow me to post the next one for you.

"All I have to say is that Melrose's luck has finally run out.  I predicted they would get beat last week, and the week before that.  It sounds like White House is playing good, and I am predicting them to be victorious as well.  Melrose loses by (random number)."

Sounded like your Maryville boys struggled and might have gotten a bit lucky, while Melrose barely had to break a sweat.  I'm sure it won't stop you from yapping more, of course.

825442797[/snapback]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! .... Opperman, that made me laugh pretty hard. I think LoyalRebFan is scared of Melrose. Why else would he keep hoping that they will lose? This week, White House is his salvation. He keeps getting on Melrose related threads predicting their demise, only having to eat crow after Melrose wins. I was thinking the same thing you were, but your rendition of his next post had me in stitches. Thanks for the laugh!!!! I'm still laughing as I type.

They are SCARED of Melrose and I don't blame them. It is not so much the team....they are a very good team and seemed very respectful of their opponet....but they should be SCARED of the fans!!!!!! There are TWO sets of fans....the ones that sit on the Melrose side and cheer for their team and then there are the OTHER fans that sit on the visitor's side and are there to intimadate the visiting teams' fans and the visiting football team.The amount of POT smoked in the stands last night was enough to make anyone within a mile high!!!! Not only was there a lot of POT but the adult Melrose fans PUBLICALLY drank liquor right out of the bottle and made no effort to try to conceal it. They stood up shouting vulgar remarks and waving their liquor bottle for everyone to see....even the COPS! This was ALL on the visiting teams' side. When the police were asked to come to the stands and try to control the group, their response was "We can only go into the stands if there is a fight". Statistics show that 99% of fights result from use of drugs and/or alcohol. Obviously, the POLICE were scared to even approach the crowd. So, White House.....bring your own security guards.....the Mermphis Police are there getting paid overtime to watch their alma mater play and do not want to be disturbed! Better bring enough fans to fill the whole visitors side and get there early!!!!!

They are SCARED of Melrose and I don't blame them. It is not so much the team....they are a very good team and seemed very respectful of their opponet....but they should be SCARED of the fans!!!!!! There are TWO sets of fans....the ones that sit on the Melrose side and cheer for their team and then there are the OTHER fans that sit on the visitor's side and are there to intimadate the visiting teams' fans and the visiting football team.The amount of POT smoked in the stands last night was enough to make anyone within a mile high!!!! Not only was there a lot of POT but the adult Melrose fans PUBLICALLY drank liquor right out of the bottle and made no effort to try to conceal it. They stood up shouting vulgar remarks and waving their liquor bottle for everyone to see....even the COPS! This was ALL on the visiting teams' side. When the police were asked to come to the stands and try to control the group, their response was "We can only go into the stands if there is a fight". Statistics show that 99% of fights result from use of drugs and/or alcohol. Obviously, the POLICE were scared to even approach the crowd. So, White House.....bring your own security guards.....the Mermphis Police are there getting paid overtime to watch their alma mater play and do not want to be disturbed! Better bring enough fans to fill the whole visitors side and get there early!!!!!

825443176[/snapback]

If you had a problem, you should have gone to the cops about it. That's what they're for. I've been to a couple of games at Melrose, on the visiting side, and I haven't seen any problems bigger than our cornerbacks not having anything resembling a matchup on their receivers. But we won both, so I guess it wasn't too bad. :lol: