Tullahoma Preseason Tourney

weeman580

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What individual was the most impressive? And what team do u think really suprised people ?

825431759[/snapback]

For my money, 112 seemed to have the best matchups in early head to head pairings of favorites. The first round had Sanders ( Brentwood) listed as a preseason No.3 by Matman at 103 against Reeder ( Cookeville) listed by Matman as being among others to watch at 112. The adjoining bracket had Prisayne ( Smyrna) listed by Matman as preseason No. 2 at 112 against Carter (FRA) listed among the others to watch at that weight by Matman. Carter looked impressive beating Prisayne 8-6 in a tough, close match. Sanders beat Reeder. Carter then beat Sanders 5-2 in the second round. Unfortunately, they did not wrestle another round in the championship brackets. Prisayne came back and beat Reeder in the consolation round.

119-----Danny Coleman looked impressive beating Ortiz 4-1 in a matchup of two of Matman's preseason favorites ( Coleman at 112 and Ortiz at 125 ). Coleman looked everybit of 119. Matman may have some weight class adjusting to do when the season starts.

140----Holliman looked impressive as did O'Dell of Cleveland. They were in opposite brackets so the tournament would have had to go the distance for them to meet. That would have been the match of the day.

145---Sommers ( Smyrna) beat Sutter ( FRA)--------5-4 I think was the score---in an early matchup of two of two returning state qualifiers.

189---Kenny Meredith. Still a beast. Looks impressive just standing around.

who looked strong at 135?

825431954[/snapback]

135 seemed pretty wide open. Roach ( Warren County) and Holliman ( Brentwood), two of Matman's pre season choices at 135, wrestled at 140. Since there was a 4 pound allowance, and assuming they would not wrestle up, you have to wonder if they will be at 135 this season or 140. While their schools were there, two more of Matman's pre season pics from local schools were not there------------------Felix ( Franklin) and Murphy ( FRA). Since Bradley County did not come, Ensminger was not there. Smyrna was there but I did not see Dedmon, another of Matman's local pre-season feavorites wrestle, so I don't know if he was at 135 or not. Heim ( FRA), mentioned by Matman among others to watch at 130, wrestled at 135 and picked up a pin in the one match I saw.

With the 4 pound allowance and kids only two weeks in to practice, and with the 130-135-140-145 weights having only a 5 pound spread, a lot of the "well-known' kids seemed to be bumped up from what many may have expected. Of course, it could be the result of this new weight certification. It is going to be interesting to see where kids in these middle weights shake out once the season starts.

Edited by BuckLateral

I dont think holliman looked as good as he should have being a state finalist and all...dont get me wong hes good but he didnt look like he was at the level of a state finalist...in my opinion

825433391[/snapback]

That's preseason for ya. and, I'm guessing you didn't see the finals with Jake West. Holliman was amazing, but just fell short.

soms

Edited by Sommers

dedmon from smyrna got 2 forfeits at the preseason tourney he was on weight for 135. He had a bye the first round and the next round was a forfeit and one of the smyrna coaches got him a match with a tullahoma 135 because dedmon had been waiting all day to wrestle someone. Dedmon won 10-0 looked kinda sluggish though probably because he was in the stands all day and hadn't gotten to wrestle. Dedmon had just played football the previous night at riverdale and to come out the next day and wrestle is true dedication! does anyone know the website for the matman rankings ?

this is my opinion but watching some of the cleveland guys at this tourny i believe cleveland will be a powerful force out on the mats this season might even be able to take state to

825433926[/snapback]

Cleveland may be the champs out of their county for the first time in a while. They are strong and deep. The third HS opening in the county will take a large chunk of BC's feeder rpogram away, so Chad Laxton will have limited resources to work with AFTER A FEW seasons.

With Laxton and crew they will still be in the top three for the next few years though. They may even grab top spot again by 2007. AGAIN, FRANKLIN WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT TWO YEARS THOUGH.

soms

Edited by Sommers