• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The path that Mt. Pleasant would have had to take to get to the state finals:

Round 1: FRA

Round 2: CPA

Round 3: DCA

Semis: USJ

Finals: Boyd Buchanan

That is four privates to beat to get to the final to play a private.

825444796[/snapback]

Well I hope the publics are happy they get their wish and Clint (the Coward) Satterfield is moving back down to 1-A (after getting beat by LA might I add.)

If the privates have such a huge advantage then explain away this.

16 1A private schools.

8 of these are in Region 5.

Only 4 teams from each region could possibly make the playoffs.

You've eliminated 25% of the privates before a game is even played in August.

On top of that with the super region in region 5 you've got teams that are 4-6, 5-5 sitting home while you have teams from regions 2 and 3 going to the playoffs at 2-8.

Yeah real disadvantage.

I expect some pompous B.S. from Stan on this one. He's famous for it.

We'll hear about the poor, persectued public schools and that facts are irrelevant.

Anyway. Can't believe I'm back.

Well I hope the publics are happy they get their wish and Clint (the Coward) Satterfield is moving back down to 1-A (after getting beat by LA might I add.)

16 1A private schools.

On top of that with the super region in region 5 you've got teams that are 4-6, 5-5 sitting home while you have teams from regions 2 and 3 going to the playoffs at 2-8.

Yeah real disadvantage.

We'll hear about the poor, persectued public schools and that facts are irrelevant.

825444872[/snapback]

What was your point? Would you rather have a system where a computer ranks the teams and puts the top 32 in, leaving the 2-8, 3-7 third and fourth place finishers in the rural areas at home? All that would do in 1A would stack the brackets with private schools, it wouldn't change the percentage of wins and losses because they'd be playing each other more often. 16-3 is the most important figure anyway.

16 1A private schools.

Yeah real disadvantage.

825444872[/snapback]

The strangest thing in this post is that there are so few private schools stacked up against all those publics but last year the final four consisted of all privates. Hmmmmmmmmm.

What was your point? Would you rather have a system where a computer ranks the teams and puts the top 32 in, leaving the 2-8, 3-7 third and fourth place finishers in the rural areas at home? All that would do in 1A would stack the brackets with private schools, it wouldn't change the percentage of wins and losses because they'd be playing each other more often. 16-3 is the most important figure anyway.

825445139[/snapback]

Indian...I wouldn`t use a computer system for that. Instead use a computer system to put schools into a classification system based on the success of programs. This would force these good 1A privates to play up. It would also put all the very best programs in the highest class regardless of school size. For example schools like Maryville, Melrose and possibly JCM would move to the BEST class. We would have a true champion then.

Schools like Warren County (5A) would be moved down into a weaker level of competition. All the the truley weaker 1A publics and privates would be grouped together giving more schools a realistic chance to win a state championship.

It wouldn`t matter if a school is private or not (except those that just have a bias against them) since schools are classed according to performance.

Indian...I wouldn`t use a computer system for that. Instead use a computer system to put schools into a classification system based on the success of programs. This would force these good 1A privates to play up. It would also put all the very best programs in the highest class regardless of school size. For example schools like Maryville, Melrose and possibly JCM would move to the BEST class. We would have a true champion then.

Schools like Warren County (5A) would be moved down into a weaker level of competition. All the the truley weaker 1A publics and privates would be grouped together giving more schools a realistic chance to win a state championship.

It wouldn`t matter if a school is private or not (except those that just have a bias against them) since schools are classed according to performance.

825445861[/snapback]

In addition to the above plan, there would be no more need for regions. Schools could still schedule whoever they want to in the regular season. Conferences could even be formed.

Yes you do lose your argument. It`s silly for you even to discuss the subject of open zones without including public schools, It shows that you are biased in your arguments you lose your credibility in quest for fairness.

What Im saying is that its not possible for privates to have open zones, because the players on most of the teams look just about the same considering 90% of the players on private school teams come from the general area of the school. And the smaller rural private schools would cover many counties were their is only 1 private school for every couple of counties.

School A

\

\

\

\

\

\

\

Home A

_______________________(zone line)

\

\

School B

Look at my wonderfully put diagram. Lets say school A is 3 counties away, and the zone line stops right after home A. School B is only 1 county away, you would be sending a kid that pays for the school, to go to one thats farther away because of zoning. This is also true with public schools, but their are about 3 times as more publics than their are privates, usually 1 or more publics in a county. You have to have open for privates theirs just no possible way you could zone them. If you let public schools openly zone then you would have one school with 2000 kids and the one next to it has only 200. If you did that then all the kids would go to the team that won the most, making it the bigger school were they would always get the atheltes and when all the championships, while the school next to it, never got any athletes, they had horrible teams, and always finished in last place. Also you have several private schools within a county, example Shelby county, you have 6-10 private schools within the county alone that play football, plus all the good public schools.

Edited by the muffin man

in regard to t-gen's last post,

regardless of our differences, on this we agree:

" It wouldn`t matter if a school is private or not ...(if)...  schools are classed according to performance."

825445891[/snapback]

But then, wouldn't you be re-classifying almost every season? Kind of hard to schedule. What about rebuilding years? Do they go lower?

But then, wouldn't you be re-classifying almost every season?  Kind of hard to schedule.  What about rebuilding years?  Do they go lower?

825446584[/snapback]

Big G,

several solutions have been offered. Some involve a formula. I suggest that only dominant programs or whipping posts get moved, and then only every 2 years. So, if a team makes it 3 rounds deep into the playoffs after winning their region 2 years running they go up. If a team loses their region for 2 straight years they can choose to go down. After 2 or 3 rounds of this the categories should be much more even...

The problem is that most of the public private split proponents who CLAIM they just want equal competition are against this idea. Probably because, as VG so eloquently states, they really don't want competition, they want to punish the private schools for being good.

p.s. If this system had been put into place we would be moving up to 2a next year anyway, so it isnt an advantage for us. It does, however, protect the small privates that aren't powerhouses...which is most of them.