Semi-Final Games

JimmyCash

The TSSAA doesn't pay all of the insurance bill for schools in Tennessee. That's done county by county. That's why most schools participate in jamborees. Proceeds from jamborees go to help with insurance costs. Schools in Knox County had to come up with monies on top of jamboree funds to pay for their insurance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why...thats part of the game...the team with the higher seed should have homefield adavantage round 4 & if round 4 will be neutral why dont u just make the entire playoffs neutral...homefield advantage is part of the game...the semis arent the state championship & shouldnt be treated different. the only exception to the team that has done better is the rotation of the regions hosting it. A example of that is last year milan & huntingdon...milan beat huntindon wk. 7 but had to go to thier place twice because of region rotation of the semis.

825437590[/snapback]

that is not exactly true...after this week, some higher seeds may be traveling to a lower seed. after this game, the host team is set...rotates every other year. for example...the winner of the melrose - ridgeway game will host no matter what.

Overall record should determine home field advantage in the playoffs. Period.

825437595[/snapback]

I don't think so. I think it should be as it is. A 11-1 team in one part of the state may not be as good as a 9-3 team in another. There's no way to compare. Rotation is fair. Up until the semis...two teams from the same region could play. The higher seed in that case should host. I do wish that two teams from the same region could play each other in the semis as they used to.

Edited by Antwan

I do wish that two teams from the same region could play each other in the semis as they used to.

825437976[/snapback]

I agree. The 1994 semis for 3A was 1993 state champion Springfield from region 5 that year @ Portland, also from region 5. It makes for a greater atmosphere when two teams from the same region battle to see who plays for the state title. Oh, yeah, Portland won that one. :P:P

B)

(Unfortunately, we lost the title game to Eric Westmoreland and Marion Co. B) )

Edited by PPride

I like the idea of neutral sites for the semifinals (which I mentioned on another thread). There are only 10 of those games, after all. Surely we have 10 stadiums in this state good enough to handle the job. .... Look at a couple of semi games as examples. I'm told good seats will go fast at the Tenn-Maryville game, so fans are urged to get there early. There have already been posts on coachT about the lack of enough seating at Huntingdon for the Hdon-Milan game. .... And, if the question is money, I'm sure the T$$AA will find an answer. Since they take their cut of the gate right off the top, more seats would translate into more money. .... I like this idea. I've been to many semifinal games over the years, and the overflow high school stadium atmosphere is great, but I think the neutral site would make it even better. .... If nothing else, it is at least worth trying for a couple of years. Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

The TSSAA doesn't pay all of the insurance bill for schools in Tennessee.  That's done county by county.  That's why most schools participate in jamborees.  Proceeds from jamborees go to help with insurance costs.  Schools in Knox County had to come up with monies on top of jamboree funds to pay for their insurance.

825437612[/snapback]

The TSSAA pays the premium for the catastrophic insurance policy. This would cover injuries such as neck, which might leave a player paralyzed for life.

Because it's bought for the group, it is cheaper -- as a whole -- than if each school had to purchase this type of coverage for its teams. Schools would have to provide its own medical and liability coverage.

that is not exactly true...after this week, some higher seeds may be traveling to a lower seed.  after this game, the host team is set...rotates every other year.  for example...the winner of the melrose - ridgeway game will host no matter what.

825437949[/snapback]

it doesnt rotate ever other year because last year milan went to h-don twice even with beating h-don earlier in the season...& this yeah h-don comes to milan even though they are a #1 seed & milan is a #3 seed.

Georgia plays all of it's semi-final games at the Georgia Dome and then plays the finals back at one of the campi of the participating schools.  That way twice as many teams get to play at one "super" site in a championship atmosphere.  It should be noted that the GHSAA is able to do this only taking 25% of gate at playoff games, where the TSSAA takes 50% of the gate and only brings the two teams who make the finals of each classification to Murfreesboro.

Makes one wonder where all of the money is going in Tennessee, doesn't it?

825437443[/snapback]

I think the way they do it in Georgia is horrible. I do like the idea of playing the semi's at a neuteral site.Especially if it ends up like 4A this year and all the teams have identical records.I don't like the rotating which region hosts.A team shouldn't be punished with an away game after going undefeated. Just rotate which team is home and which team is away at the neuteral site and make the site the closest to the middle of the two schools. For example the Riverdale-Oak Ridge game would be played at Tennessee Tech.