Martin Westview Fans....

Purple & Gold Standard

If there is any program in West Tennesee that needs a stadium...It's Westview......

Look I know it's kinda cool and all to play at a college field,but anybody that was at Martin and is associated with either UTM or Westview had to be embarrassed at the playing conditions last Friday night...

With Westview's new school,which everybody that goes to Westview should be proud of,there should have been room in the budget to build a stadium for the Chargers...Apparently the groundskeeper at UTM took the month off or something because that field was in awful shape...I know this couldn't have happened but why not at least try to move the game to Obion County or Union City's field ....Theirs were in much better condition...Westview has working relationships with both sets of coaches...Something should have been done...Of course Milan would have tried to petetion to get it moved to Milan,but that's another thread :huh: And both stadiums could have handled the crowd....Again,I know it was probably impossible,but it was a thought....

If UTM is not going to take better care of the playing field,Westview should look into building a new facility out where the new school is,if there is enough room out there....And also if the grounds crew is so lazy,then why not get the university to put in the "near turf" playing surface and then they wouldn't have to mow or anything...It was not only bad last Friday,but it was awful when UTM and Eastern Ky played on it the weekend before....But all that sort of goes back to the "Mickey Mouse"way of doing things at UTM....But I really think the community should get behind the program at Westview and somehow provide for the Chargers,because the Chargers have done alot for the community....And they are one of the premier programs in the state...They did not,and Milan didn't either for that matter,deserve to have gone that far and have to play on as sloppy a field as they had to play on last Friday night....Just an outsiders viewpoint....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Yes Westview should have their "own field". BUT, if you really want to get to the bottom of it...heres what happened. UTM's coaches are frustrated because they cant get a winning season and they wanted to take it out on somebody....so you know what they do? WITH A HUGE PRACTICE FIELD 25 FEET FROM THE MAIN STADIUM, they practice on the main field all week and rut and tear it up. Thats a sorry attitude. Westview deserves better from UTM and that was the biggest classless act ive ever seen.

There was plans to build a stadium beside the new school, but plans do change. The cost is the main thing, plenty of room. The county helped UTM pay for their field when it was built, long ago, in order that both teams could use the field. As time has past, UTM has taken over the field. Yes it was in horrible shape and UTM's football team was to blame. Their game, the weekend before, caused a lot of damage, but they did practice on it all week (and even fri afternoon) with no regaurd for the playoff game or westview. Westview did not lose the game because of it, both teams played on it, but it did slow down both offenses backs and WR. Westview is now looking into plans of building a new stadium or adding onto the middle school, or so i hear

Edited by volover

I definitely agree with both of you. Being a charger fan, I know that they had practiced on it and they were a bit irritated because Westview always bring in more money than they do. Theres always more people at the Westview games than there are at the UTM games. That was immature and classless of them to purposely "sabotage" a high school football game. Theres just no excuse for acting that way. NEVER have I seen a field in that condition. ESPECIALLY UTM'S.

I remember the year before last when we played Humbodlt the game was re-scheduled because of the condition of the field which was no where near as bad as it was friday night. I figured they wouldn't even let us play on it when I first got to the stadium. If they're that mad about this situation then perhaps they need to get a coach who actually knows what he's doing. And they could start recruiting GOOD players. Westview should not tolerate this kinda of foolishness. As you said before, the community should get behind the chargers and build a stadium for Westview. Theres a lot of land surrounding the school on which they could build a stadium. This school does alot around the town. The band for instance performs at all the events that they are asked to perform at. They even performed at a UTM game last year when UTM was on fall break. Something needs to be done about this.

the field was terrible, but it wasnt what lost us the game...milan played on it too. BUT w/ 2 practice fields right beside the main field maybe utm might use alil intelligence and actually do what the name implies 4 the other fields and PRACTICE on them...(god knows they need it)... another wierd thing about them practicing on the main field is that 2 weeks b4 they went over to martin middle school and practiced on that field for a couple of days... if westview gets a new field it will be long after im done playing... by the way where did u hear about adding on to the middle school?

I respect Martin as a town, the fans and Westview's team. However, UTM is a whole different story. I talked to a UTM assistant last Friday night( who was scouting Daylan and Bryce King) and I couldn't believe it when he told me he wished Milan would score at least two more td's before the game was over! There is tension between Westview and UTM.

As far as the tension between UTM and Westview, yea there is some. UTM can't bring in the fans like westview, and very few around here actually care about UTM's football team.

Adding on at the middle school would cost $2-3 mill. As opposed to the projected $5 mill to build on from scratch. They have lights, some bleachers, and a perfect field. Pave old hay field, rebuild fieldhouse, add conncesions, and throw in a few $hiters, and you have a good place. Just consider it an inside soruce, plans are in the making. But that don't mean they would pick that option. Either on will take lotsof money and time, which we have niether. Westview needs a field by next season.

Edited by volover

Being a Huntingdon fan I want to throw in my 2 cents worth. Best I remember Westview played their 1st playoff game on the field and then UTM played there on Saturday, in the rain and the previous week also. I watched UTM on PBS and the field was a terrible mess. I think our field this week is in poor shape but the coaches do all they can do. Once Bethel played in the rain at our place and it destroyed the field. Not much you can do when so many games are played on it.

Being a Huntingdon fan I want to throw in my 2 cents worth.  Best I remember Westview played their 1st playoff game on the field and then UTM played there on Saturday, in the rain and the previous week also.  I watched UTM on PBS and the field was a terrible mess.  I think our field this week is in poor shape but the coaches do all they can do.  Once Bethel played in the rain at our place and it destroyed the field.  Not much you can do when so many games are played on it.

825439760[/snapback]

Yea,there is something you can do.....You can get off that wallet and put in Near Turf....If nothing is going to happen about a new facility then something needs to be done about the field.....Interesting the posts about the rift between UTM and Westview.....I wasn't implying that you guys (Westview) lost the game because of the field....You guys weren't going to beat Milan the way they played Friday night..If the UTM coaching staff did that to "sabotage"Westview's chances of winning the game,that's pretty sorry....Of course why would you practice on Friday afternoon before a high school game Friday night???....Especially since they were playing Murray at Murray on artificial turf????Makes you wonder....

If there is any program in West Tennesee that needs a stadium...It's Westview......

Look I know it's kinda cool and all to play at a  college field,but anybody that was at Martin and is associated with either UTM or Westview had to be embarrassed at the playing conditions last Friday night...

With Westview's new school,which everybody that goes to Westview should be proud of,there should have been room in the budget to build a stadium for the Chargers...Apparently the groundskeeper at UTM took the month off or something because that field was in awful shape...I know this couldn't have happened but why not at least try to move the game to Obion County or Union City's field ....Theirs were in much better condition...Westview has working relationships with both sets of coaches...Something should have been done...Of course Milan would have tried to petetion to get it moved to Milan,but that's another thread :D And both stadiums could have handled the crowd....Again,I know it was probably impossible,but it was a thought....

If UTM is not going to take better care of the playing field,Westview should look into building a new facility out where the new school is,if there is enough room out there....And also if the grounds crew is so lazy,then why not get the university to put in the "near turf" playing surface and then they wouldn't have to mow or anything...It was not only bad last Friday,but it was awful when UTM and Eastern Ky played on it the weekend before....But all that sort of goes back to the "Mickey Mouse"way of doing things at UTM....But I really think the community should get behind the program at Westview and somehow provide for the Chargers,because the Chargers have done alot for the community....And they are one of the premier programs in the state...They did not,and Milan didn't either for that matter,deserve to have gone that far and have to play on as sloppy a field as they had to play on last Friday night....Just an outsiders viewpoint....

825438591[/snapback]

This fall has been exceptionally wet...on October 23, UTM played Eastern Illinois and it had rained all week - which soaked the field. An hour before the game it started raining hard and didn't stop until the 2nd half. These college guys tore the field up because it was so wet. UTM did all they could to repair afterwards, but there was only so much to do with a limited budget. Westview played Peabody on October 29th and it had rained all week - 7 inches in fact - which made the field that much softer. The week of the Milan/Westview game, more rain. So, the groundskeeper as you put it at UTM did all they could. Weather was the culprit.

I agree though that Westview needs their own stadium. Don Coady has stated that there is plenty of room at the new school to build a nice facility. But, that takes money and most school systems are in a bit of a pinch right now and don't have the funds. It's easy to say they need to build this, but unless a private donor steps forward to fund the project, it won't become a reality. Schools need to spend money on educating their students first and athletics second.

Wow....Coady absolutely RIPPED UTM in the Jackson Sun! It sounds like a bad situation for both UTM and Westview. I can see the frustration that both sides feel, on one hand the Westview staff feels they have made these donations, pay for the right to use the field and they have the UTM coach being uncooperative (and putting a team on that field for even a "walkthrough" was uncalled for) on the other hand though the UTM staff feels they have ownership of the stadium, and don't feel like they should have to share it. I hope Westview can get their own place someday. Good Luck.

Look I know it's kinda cool and all to play at a  college field,but anybody that was at Martin and is associated with either UTM or Westview had to be embarrassed at the playing conditions last Friday night...

With Westview's new school,which everybody that goes to Westview should be proud of,there should have been room in the budget to build a stadium for the Chargers...Apparently the groundskeeper at UTM took the month off or something because that field was in awful shape...I know this couldn't have happened but why not at least try to move the game to Obion County or Union City's field ....Theirs were in much better condition...Westview has working relationships with both sets of coaches...Something should have been done...Of course Milan would have tried to petetion to get it moved to Milan,but that's another thread <_< And both stadiums could have handled the crowd....Again,I know it was probably impossible,but it was a thought....

825438591[/snapback]