All-Time Best HS girls guard in West TN

sam_jones

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is the best point guard and shooting guard to ever come out of West TN?

825453388[/snapback]

No doubt in my mind- Ashley McElhiney. Ashley was great all four years at Gleason, and she proved herself in the SEC. She is one of the few girls bball players out of West TN to make it big in D-I. Her four years at Gleason she went 77-0 at home. Her teams were always outsized and outmanned at GHS but they won games with Ashley at point.

I have seen all these girls mentioned play....I goback to the old Yorkville teams with the Galloways ...the old Obion Cen teams with the Thompsons,and I know these girl's weren't guards...And Joyner fromTrezevant many years ago...I believe McELhaney was good at running her team and I saw her play numerous times in high school and also at Vanderbilt...She could really hit free throws and hustled all the time..but I remember a few years ago a local radio station was talking about the best players they had even seen and at this time McElhaney was still playing and the player they both named was Jessica Henson from Bradford..And would have to agree..She was a scoring machine that could light it up from the outside and play defense and get and control the balls on steals that were unbelievable...Both these girls were playing at the same time and if I remember Henson was Miss Basketball..I believe she won two times but am not sure..I think a lot of people are saying McElhaney because she went on and played at Vandy...She went because of her play to handle a ball and control a game..not because of her offensive prowess...I also look at something else..My team is Lake Co..We played McElhaney a lot of times..She had great games against us..But she was more of a team leader...We could guard her one on one...With Henson..you had to double team her a lot and I would even put Merideth Richardson ahead of McElhaney..You simply could not guard her one on one...And I'm not really a Bradford fan but I do recognize great talent..

I have seen all these girls mentioned play....I goback to the old Yorkville teams with the Galloways ...the old Obion Cen teams with the Thompsons,and I know these girl's weren't guards...And Joyner fromTrezevant many years ago...I believe McELhaney was good at running her team and I saw her play numerous times in high school and also at Vanderbilt...She could really hit free throws and hustled all the time..but I remember a few years ago a local radio station was talking about the best players they had even seen and at this time McElhaney was still playing and the player they both named was Jessica Henson from Bradford..And would have to agree..She was a scoring machine that could light it up from the outside and play defense and get and control the balls on steals that were unbelievable...Both these girls were playing at the same time and if I remember Henson was Miss Basketball..I believe she won two times but am not sure..I think a lot of people are saying McElhaney because she went on and played at Vandy...She went because of her play to handle a ball and control a game..not because of her offensive prowess...I also look at something else..My team is Lake Co..We played McElhaney a lot of times..She had great games against us..But she was more of a team leader...We could guard her one on one...With Henson..you had to double team her a lot and I would even put Merideth Richardson ahead of McElhaney..You simply could not guard her one on one...And I'm not really a Bradford fan but I do recognize great talent..

825454816[/snapback]

good posts...what bout tiffany adkins from yorkville and gibson co. ?

825454977[/snapback]

Henson and Richardson are both shooting guards. Ashley McElhiney is the best POINT guard to come out of West Tn, and in my opinion, the best overall guard. As a Gleason fan, I know the double teams that Ashley had to play against. Also, Ashley had great shooters on her teams. She didn't shoot the ball 30 times a game (like Richardson) to get her points. Henson was great but in my opinion is not the all around player that A Mac is.

825454816[/snapback]

Also, I might add that A Mac was Miss Basketball in 1999 over Henson. Henson won in 2000.