Greenbrier vs Fulton

timbdp

Congrats to Fulton.  Awesome team that is well coached and plays all four quarters with equal intensity.

This is my take on the game.  Fulton's "speed game" and "atheletes" were no better than Greenbrier's.  I would call that aspect of the game a draw. 

Fulton clearly won this game "in the trenches".  They ran the ball down our throat in the second half due to their o-line's size and strength and their d-line's size, strength and athleticism.  #40 was as good as you said he was.

I think there was one other aspect that won this game for Fulton....the fact they play all four quarter with equal intensity.  This is the first team (from my perspective) that we have faced this year that could bring it all four quarters the way you did.  We have been the one to do that all year to our opponents until this game.

Now, for the Smith Co.,

beat Greenbrier based on comparing the two games, you are insane. That can't be done. You may have stopped the run, but you got burned by the pass. We couldn't stop the run, but we did shut down their passing game. SC may be more of a power team, but we have a more athletic team. I bet it would be a good game.

After watching the game Saturday, I would have to agree that Region 2 is probably the king of the hill in 3A. How can you argue otherwise after what they did to the two best teams in Middle TN in back-to-back weeks.

Again, congrats to Fulton!

I didn't see where you stopped anything Fulton did. You say GB stopped their passing game yeah why pass when they didn't have to . I'm sure SC GB would be a good game but I never once said LA or SC could beat GB, I only said I thought SC was the better team because of their defense against the run. Fulton couldn't do anything but pass against SC with 9 mins to go in the game they had to pass they couldn't run the ball to run the clock out. The only difference in the game was Bishop against a smaller db. That's it SC shut the door on Fulton everywhere else.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to our Greenbrier Bobcats on a great season. This Senior class has set a record being the winningest team in the school history. You young men have played with heart all through your high school years and have made a name for yourselves that should be revered. Winning the Region back to back, and going on to the State title game is something to be very proud of. Great teams like Huntingdon, Melrose, Boyd Buchanon and Franklin and Greenbrier have nothing to hang their head about. In a game of football, there is always a team that does not win. But in the bigger picture, the game of LIFE, the things players have learned through team effort, team cooperation, and sportmanship will make all of the Bobcats winners in the longrun. I've not only BEEN proud, I will always be, of all these men and our community for years, for their football wins and efforts, but moreso that through wins and losses, the Greenbrier football team has always been complimented with having class and sportmanship. A piece of hardware will be left in the school trophy case. Yes, it will be silver instead of gold, but it will be someething always there to remember the 2004-2005 football season and team. Years from now when you bring your kids to school functions, that will still be part of you guys, just as you will be in our memories of the great playoff run you've had. We are all so proud of you, Bobcats, and will continue to be. The Bobcats have shown they can bring a "following" in the thousands of fans you brought Saturday. You bring the community together. We love you, Bobcats. Thank you for the fun, fellowship and memories. We'll be back.

Edited by EZBeingGreen

rocking chair,

I wasn't directing my comments at you. Your posts were straight forward and good. I mistook a post from someone from east tn to be from a Region 4 fan.

And, in the first half of the game, we neutralized their passing game. Our dbacks stuck to them like glue and jumped with them (although we were much shorter). They hit one big pass on us.

They simply won this game between the tackles. They are a big, physical team. Kingsbury was actually more athletic in my opinion. The Kingsbury QB was better than any of the backs Fulton had. But, Kingsbury didn't have much size, so we were able to control the line of scrimmage most of the game. Fulton won this game via power, not their "athletes".

Edited by FatCat

Percy and myself wanted to thank all those coaches and players for making this a fun year.  For all those behind the scenes as well. 

The final tally for the year is 281-65 or 80%.   

We are really proud we picked all 5 championship games and got them right. 

It was an extremely enjoyable weekend.  I got to talk to many coaches from many parts of the state. I was really impressed with one coach, Cedric Hampton, from Jackson Central- Merry.  He seemed to be the kind of coach I would want to coach with and play for.  I wish Cedric much luck on the upcoming season.

Several coaches were looking to make changes, and or bring on more staff. 

I sat in front of several coaches from Knox Carter, they seemed to be enjoying themselves.  You don't get to see that side of coaches very often. 

DCA and Boyd Buchanan great game as usual.

I was impressed with Weathers from Huntingdon, he can fly and is a playmaker.

Dustin Lindsey, and Brandon Warren from Alcoa, along with the QB.  Brandon Warren is a dominator.

Fulton had many mistakes and fumbles to have one 34-6.

Greenbrier had more fans than anyone I had seen in 6 years.  Great job getting to the big game. 

Maryville did it again, Although it was a good game.  Melrose had some great athletes, and I thought the coach did a great job. 

I was extremely disapointed at some of the Melrose fans. I had to inhale smoke of all kinds.  When officers went to ask them to put it out they acted like they deserve to blow smoke in everyone elses face.  During the Nationa Anthem very few Melrose fans took their hats off.  You don't have to show respect for  the other team, but for our country now that is a different story. 

I was impressed with Melrose intensity.

The Riverdale Franklin game.  It is about time Riverdale won one.  They are in the same catagory as Hillsboro.  After falling short several years they finally get the win.

825470140[/snapback]

Here's to the Greenbrier fans too! And thanks to all the other supporters from Region 5-3a and various supporting schools. The ones that have played us know that that was not a "typical" Greenbrier game. But it is was a great year, and now we move on. A new region, new opponents. Good luck to all the teams and regions.

Edited by EZBeingGreen

Congratulations to both teams. Both schools should be proud. The Fulton Falcons have established themselves as the team in 3A. As I said earlier in a post the Fulton coaching staff is the best in the Knoxville area if not the State. If you could have seen this Fulton team earlier in the year you would appreciate their accomplishments. Coach Coatney, Coach Black Sr., Coach Black Jr. and others have done a tremendous job. Coach Coatney said it best on the Channel 10 Sport show last night. We lined up behind our horses (Offensive line) and road them to the championship. The Greenbriar fan was right. The Fulton Offensive line took over. It doesn't matter how great your back is, if he doesn't have the blocking. I'm sure Coach Coatney would love to have a player like Herndon on his team. That kid was all over the field making plays. He deserves Mr. Football. Congratulations to the Falcons who have proven that hard work and disclipline pays off when everyone is committed. Great job Coaching Staff, you have made Knoxville football fans proud. Great job Greenbriar you also have a great team that just came up one game short. This was a great game to watch. Thanks To all.

Congratulations on your back to back state title Fulton. I watched the game on TV and it reminded me of the SCvs.Fulton game in Round 4 in some ways. I think that SC could have beaten Greenbrier if we could have ever got passed the Falcons, but who knows. I guess Fulton and SC wont match up for a while since we are going to 2A. So good luck next season Fulton I will be cheering you on in 3A.

All I know is that I was there today and I personally thought that both teams played with much heart. They both deserved the best , but in all honesty the better team won.  Way to go Falcons!

I was talking to some of the Fulton players after the game and they had nothing but good to say about the Greenbriar players.  They said that they were by far the most classy team they have played all year ( that is just small country town courtesty for ya,,  thanks Greenbriar)  The Fulton kids Ibelieve if they could would send a great thanks to all you who were on the field wearing the green. You really impressed them.

I was impressed with all the Greenbriar fans before and after the game. You guys really are great and we as Fulton Fans say thank you so much for your courtesy. You made it a very pleasant trip for us and a great atmosphere for the greatest game in the world. Really hope we can see you all next year.

All trash talk aside Herndon is a great ballplayer and we all at Fulton know that. It was not his day just as every great ballplarer has bad says. He is a great player and I hope to be seeing him on Sat. in the future.

Ill close by syaing once again,    Greenbriar thankyou from the depths of our heart not only for a great game but for the good classy, Christ -like attitudes that your team and fans displayed.

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Falcons, we are proud of you and you truly deserve the 2nd ring.  You all,  players and coaches are champs. 

I want to say thankyou to the Fulton coaches for all the great off the field Christian values that you  coaches teach those boys. ( Ive been around you all and I know) I am pround of you all!

It was that mean Falcon O- Line that aided in this one thanks guys,  way to go defence, you hung in there and held a very good back. I cant wait til next year!

Go Fulton Falcons!!!!!!!!!!

825468339[/snapback]

Very classy post.....

rocking chair,

I wasn't directing my comments at you.  Your posts were straight forward and good.  I mistook a post from someone from east tn to be from a Region 4 fan. 

And, in the first half of the game, we neutralized their passing game.  Our dbacks stuck to them like glue and jumped with them (although we were much shorter).  They hit one big pass on us. 

They simply won this game between the tackles.  They are a big, physical team.  Kingsbury was actually more athletic in my opinion.  The Kingsbury QB was better than any of the backs Fulton had.  But, Kingsbury didn't have much size, so we were able to control the line of scrimmage most of the game.  Fulton won this game via power, not their "athletes".

825470267[/snapback]

All I know is that if you really think that Fultons atheletes were not as Athletic then thos of Greenbriar you did not watch the same game that I did. Fulton was much more talented then Greenbrier, ( although you guys were good) But to compare the athleticism of Fulton and Greenbriar is no comparison Fulton was much more Athletic and everyone that was there saw it>

Greenbriar was strong Fulton was Athletic. The recievers and backs of Fulton when in the open feild made those Greenbria Bobcats look sick....... Now who would you say is more Athletic

Go Fulton

Edited by FlyinFalcon_20

Another note....

Hats off to Fulton's defense. They played probably as good as any defense that Greenbrier has faced all year. I heard the comment that Cobb probably hit as hard as any LB that the Cats have came up against. And the #40 kid (you really can't call him a kid) was impressive. He's not 300 lbs and doesn't run a 4.5 but he can control the line by himself. If he keeps on track, he'll be in orange in a couple of years.

All I know is that if you really think that Fultons atheletes were not as Athletic then thos of Greenbriar you did not watch the same game that I did.  Fulton was much more talented then Greenbrier, ( although you guys were good)  But to compare the athleticism of Fulton and Greenbriar is no comparison  Fulton was much more Athletic and everyone that was there saw it>

Greenbriar was strong Fulton was Athletic.  The recievers and backs of Fulton when in the open feild made those Greenbria Bobcats look sick.......  Now who would you say is more Athletic

Go Fulton

825470584[/snapback]

Yes, Fulton was more athletic. I never said Greenbrier was more athletic. I am just saying that is not won the game for you. Yes, there was ONE play where your guy made our defender "look sick" in the open field. Other than that, we hung with you "athletically" all game long. Herndon ran your players down from behind on 3 tackles. Aldrich (#10) ran from no where to make that interception in the end zone. Our d-backs hung with your receivers and jumped with them knocking the ball away or making it uncatchable. Your advantage in athleticism was only a small advantage.

Yes, we are a strong team, but small. Your guys overpowered us. Your size and strength is what made the difference in the second half. That is how you won the game. Your guys weren't making us miss.....they were just running over us. Kingsbury made us miss a heck of a lot more tackles than you guys did. But, you would have wiped the field with Kingsbury, also, as you would have overpowered them as you did us.

Bottom line is Fulton was clearly the better team. You seem to have it all.....size....speed....athleticism...running game....passing game.....defense.....etc. The only thing you guys are missing is a kicking game, but don't seem to really need it.

Edited by FatCat