1A mr football back

bearcats68

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read an article that said that he had about 1200 rushing yards in the regular season. That's probably not enough to impress too many voters. There are a lot of backs in 1-A who ran for that many yards. Peardon had 1800+ rushing yards in the regular season and set a new city scoring record, formerly held by Gerald Riggs. Sweeney had an obscene amount of passing yards. Not sure of Sikes' stats, but I expect that they would be very impressive. It's always disappointing to someone when you can only have three of several very good players.

No doubt, however, that Wooden is a great running back.

Edited by BnL

I believe the main reason is the fact that his numbers are down a little this year. However, we have to remember that he was still recovering from ACL surgery at the start of the season and was not making as many runs as he is now. That decision is absolutely sound as I am sure he would prefer a champion ring over a Mr Football Award.

There is no doubt that he is back to his full capability now. He is running just like he was prior to his injury last year in Round 2 of the playoffs.

Edited by OnlineLC

The injury really limited him during the first 2/3 of the regular season.

Wooden on his best day is probably your 1A Mr. Football(not to upset anyone, but if you've seen him play like he is capable of you'd be a fool not to agree).

Sad it had to happen to such a great player, but he will gladly trade it in for a State Title(which after seeing how they've played the last few weeks they would have to really try hard NOT to get).

I started watching DCA Football last year because of Chris Wooden. I am not a parent of DCA player, but just a fan who takes his son to football games on friday night. Since last year, my son and I have began following DCA and have gottten to know Wooden and I believe I can factually answer this question.

Most people are aware that Wooden tore his MCL in the 2nd round of the playoffs last year against CPA and DCA struggled mightily after that, especially in the championship against Boyd because DCA's back-up running back/starting fullback, broke his leg in the semi-finals leaving a seriously injured Wooden to start against Boyd.

What most people are unaware of is that Wooden ALSO tore his ACL 3 months later and required COMPLETE reconstructive ACL surgery at the end of March. He was told by doctors that his chances of playing football his senior year was slight and that his high school career was pretty much over.

With that said, Wooden spent hundreds of hours in accelerated rehab during the summer, including weekends, to prove his critics wrong. Amazingly, ONLY 5 MONTHS after a complete reconstruction of his ACL, Wooden was able to start in Week 0 against East Robertson. From what I understand, Wooden was not even cleared to start JOGGING, not running, until the first week of August.

Throughout the year, Wooden struggled to return to his previous form having absolutely no offseason to prepare since he was always in rehab and the first few weeks of the season were more like conditioning/training for him. After a few games, DCA's coaching staff decided that Wooden would be more important for the 2nd part of the season and pulled him from the starting line-up so that he could continue rehab. DCA had a stretch of games that it played much weaker teams and so Wooden was not needed, so his health was not jeopardized.

There were several games that Wooden DID NOT EVEN DRESS and there have only been 3, YES 3 out of 14 games so far that Wooden and this first string offense was NOT pulled in the third or fourth quarter where Wooden could have REALLY increased his numbers.

Wooden's season numbers are so far down because he has not played, or even dressed, in several of DCA's midseason games where his back-ups have "held down the fort" while he rehabs for the postseason.

Now that Wooden has had so much time to rehab, from what I understand, he is completely healthy with NO side-effects from the surgery. The numbers he is putting up in the post season against playoff teams is just, what I believe, a margin of what he could have done against weaker teams during the year when he didn't even play.

I hope this answers any questions someone might have about Wooden. I believe he is the best back in 1A but was discounted in the "Mr. Football" finalist because he didn't play when he wasn't needed. Shame.

Injuries are a part of the game and it is disheartening when it happens to a player which such great capabilities as Wooden. He seems to have handled it well and worked very hard to get his team in this position to win the state title. I'll bet Wooden was in the top five for Mr. Football but Wooden will get his accolades on the all state teams and IMO a championship ring that he will treasure much more than this one honor. He is also one heck of a defender also.

Keep it up.

Just as a note...last night Chris Wooden broken the DCA rushing record held by Jeremy Lyons..1996 Mr. Football and state offensive MVP during DCA's undefeated season. Considering his very limited play during the first and middle of the regular season..thats remarkable. Nominate who you want..vote for who you want..look at stats of those with more playing time and much less competition, it is meaningless. If there is a Mr. Football in 1A Football it is Chris Wooden. The title is just that, a title and any nomination that does not include him as a candidate is not a true representation of "Mr Football". He is a complete player both offense and defense and he has a complete team that compliments him.

If memory serves me right, last year the Mr. Football winners both came from the same school in the east bracket and their team was eliminated in the first round of the play-offs. Because of their weak region, their stats were huge and that is a flaw with the Mr. Football award year after year. But you have to have something to look at and stats are about the only measure that can be used statewide. I think right now the only stat Chris Wooden is concerned with is that DCA is 14-0 and on a mission.

Just as a note...last night Chris Wooden broken the DCA rushing record held by Jeremy Lyons..1996 Mr. Football and state offensive MVP during DCA's undefeated season.  Considering his very limited play during the first and middle of the regular season..thats remarkable.  Nominate who you want..vote for who you want..look at stats of those with more playing time and much less competition, it is meaningless.  If there is a Mr. Football in 1A Football it is Chris Wooden.  The title is just that, a title and any nomination that does not include him as a candidate is not a true representation of "Mr Football".  He is a complete player both offense and defense and he has a complete team that compliments him.

If memory serves me right, last year the Mr. Football winners both came from the same school in the east bracket and their team was eliminated in the first round of the play-offs.  Because of their weak region, their stats were huge and that is a flaw with the Mr. Football award year after year.  But you have to have something to look at and stats are about the only measure that can be used statewide.  I think right now the only stat Chris Wooden is concerned with is that DCA is 14-0 and on a mission.

825455005[/snapback]

Good post but wasn't Lyons second to Scooter Edwards?

Yes.

Wooden did pass Lyons, but Lyons was only a distant second to Scooter Edwards.

Wooden now has 5, 656 yards in his career. He is only second to Scooter Edwards, however, who has 6, 553 yards during his 1986-1989 career. Edwards won TWO Mr. Football awards while Wooden is getting shammed(imo) of even getting one.

Edited by unbiasedspectator