Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

coach quarles is good about making little comments to the public challenging our team.  he never comes out and says, "we are going to win" or anything, he always has the utmost respect for the other team, and always issues a public challenge to the team.  Coach Quarles knows how to get into the head of our players, not only is he a great coach on the field, but a great coach of mental toughness

825463867[/snapback]

Thanks Raider for your response as well.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A horrible offense?...they had a Mr. Football finalist at runningback, they can throw the ball just as well as they can run it...a horrible offense?...you've gotta be kidding me...the Melrose offense is gonna be driving up and down the field all afternoon on maryville...you'll see how "horrible" the Melrose offense is when Graig Cooper runs you over Saturday afternoon...and when the Wildcats are holding that gold ball Saturday afternoon your gonna be eating your words my friend....GO GOLDEN WILDCATS!!!!!!!

825464018[/snapback]

So then by implication one must believe that either:

A. Maryville's defense is inferior to the other teams you've faced this year or

B. Melrose will play far superior than they have played all season

If you believe A, then I'd hate to see the teams you've played and I wonder why they are not all ranked in the state. And I wonder if they aren't probably giving up more points than the Rebels, because I would bet that most if not all of them are.

If you believe B, then I'd say that there is a problem in your logic. It is not typical to have your best game against your best opponent. The statistics would suggest that MHS is your best opponent of the year, so I would not rationally expect this to be the game in which all of your offensive woes go away and your numbers add up to their greatest pinnacle.

Just some thoughts...

It must have been a long morning without me, chaos shouldnt you be working like usually :P.  Anyways on to football,  How big is Melrose's front four and o-line and do they play both ways, cause if so, maybe we will see a little no huddle this week.

825464074[/snapback]

Yeah, I really SHOULD be.... I have limited myself to two posts today :(

If you believe B, then I'd say that there is a problem in your logic. It is not typical to have your best game against your best opponent. The statistics would suggest that MHS is your best opponent of the year, so I would not rationally expect this to be the game in which all of your offensive woes go away and your numbers add up to their greatest pinnacle.

Big Papa - I agree in theory, but I would also say that Maryville's two best games this year were against Central (1st game) and Tennessee High. Maybe Tennessee was so weak that it made us look better than we were, but as far as execution goes, that game was near flawless.

I believe the Melrose D is for real, but also ours is underrated IMO. If our first string D had stayed in the entire 4 quarters for the entire year, a lot less points would have been scored on us . . .not that we gave up a lot anyway :P If this comes down to a defensive struggle, i think it hurts Melrose (even though it would seemingly play to their strength), because of the kicking game. Short punts will shorten the field, and we have someone who can kick field goals. For Melrose to beat Maryville they will have to utilize their speed, strike quickly and challange the D going vertically. Some Melrose fans said they would run and control the clock but I really don't think that matches up well against us.

Big Papa - I agree in theory, but I would also say that Maryville's two best games this year were against Central (1st game) and Tennessee High.  Maybe Tennessee was so weak that it made us look better than we were, but as far as execution goes, that game was near flawless.

I believe the Melrose D is for real, but also ours is underrated IMO.  If our first string D had stayed in the entire 4 quarters for the entire year, a lot less points would have been scored on us . . .not that we gave up a lot anyway :P  If this comes down to a defensive struggle, i think it hurts Melrose (even though it would seemingly play to their strength), because of the kicking game.  Short punts will shorten the field, and we have someone who can kick field goals. For Melrose to beat Maryville they will have to utilize their speed, strike quickly and challange the D going vertically.  Some Melrose fans said they would run and control the clock but I really don't think that matches up well against us.

825464090[/snapback]

Good answer Playa!

I agree with you pretty much. My main point is that a team prone to making mistakes and stopping itself offensively really shouldn't expect that not to haunt them against a good defense.

The same principles really don't apply as well to MHS b/c they make so few mistakes. The reason that well-disciplined execution is such a huge asset is that it arms you to make fewer mistakes when faced with stiffer competition than you otherwise might be privy to. We all know that mistakes will be made, but I'm banking on a team that claims to have made fewer thus far coming through in the clutch.

Kwc, umm I hate to tell you this but your boy Cooper wont run over anyone.  Our frontline of smith 235, and Tucker 250, will not get ran over by a 185 RB. Sorry.

825464080[/snapback]

thatoneguy:

You evidently have me confused with someone else. I have never got on this board and stated what Cooper would do against Maryville. Honestly ... he amazes me every game. After the White House game ... I milled around afterwards, as I always do, and I ventured over to the White House busses ... just to congratulate anybody from White House on a wonderful game. Every person I talked to on my way out of the stadium made comments about how 'special' or how 'talented' he is. My response to them was this. I've seen him play a lot of games ... tonight ... I saw him do things that I had never seen him do before ... I was in shock just as much as they were ... and they had Mr. Ladd on their team. I learned the next day that he had amassed 216 yards. I was flabbergasted. Do I think he will do something like that against you guys? I have no idea how many yards he will get. All I know ... from the first time I saw him carry a ball in the season opening jamboree ... I knew he was special. You can't coach a lot of the things he does. It's field vision, insinct, and God given ability. What happens on Saturday is going to be a suprise to everyone who watches.

I think the Maryville fans will become Cooper admirers by games end, just as I'm sure the Melrose fans will become Thompson admirers by games end.

This will be a very good game!