Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

To all the Melrose fans:

Just give it up, there is no sense trying to talk yourselves into thinking that you have a chance, trust me. I did the same thing last week, as I am an avid Tennessee High fan, and I really thought that we had a chance against the #1 team in the state. But what I saw on Friday night amazed me, and I haven't been back on here till now. That team should not be a high school team, they are better than a lot of small college teams. I didn't believe the hype either, til I saw it with my own eyes. Something has to be wrong there, a high school team should not be that good. Our Tennessee High team was the best we have had in 30 years, and we could not even sniff a victory after the first quarter. Granted, our kids pis-sed down their leg and we played the worst game of our year, but what can you expect from 16-18 yr. old kids. They were intimidated, and it showed. Just so all the Maryville fans know, Tennessee High is a much better team than they showed, but the kids weren't ready to handle the pressure that the game put upon them. I'm sure you know they are better, I mean, how could you get much worse than a 49-0 letdown. My main point is, Melrose, you just don't have a chance, Maryville will not make any mistakes, they play perfectly, and as soon as you make that first mistake they will attack like a pack of wild dogs, and then you are finished. Our team was not used to being behind, as I am sure your's is not either, and when we fell behind we seemed to give up, and that's when they really put it on you. This is coming from an unbiased high school football fan who just saw the best high school football team in Tennessee. Good luck to both teams, but even on Maryville's worst day of the year, and Melrose's best day of the year, Maryville still wins by 2 TD's. My hats off to all Maryville fans and players, you guys are the real deal.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No prob kwc...what's your opion on it?

To the one's getting angry that we think little of your offense: It's the melrose fans that have given us the impression that your all's offense is enemic...so don't get too riled if we re-state what they have already sted several times.

825464059[/snapback]

He sounded like a guy looking forward to a good match-up. He saw a very good RB in Cooper on film and he's made it up in his mind that Maryville is going to have to stop him. He's right. He's also aware that he has Mr. Cade Thompson on his side ... so he's not too worried about manufacturing offense. It's stoping Melrose when they have the ball ... That's his concern. His trick play comments were what I was thinking about mostly though. I have no doubt if Maryville is in a tight game ... he's going to go into his bag of tricks. I think the Melrose 'D' better stay at home on the backside ... Maryville is going to exploit that if it's needed.

That's the impression I got.

Good answer Playa!

I agree with you pretty much. My main point is that a team prone to making mistakes and stopping itself offensively really shouldn't expect that not to haunt them against a good defense.

The same principles really don't apply as well to MHS b/c they make so few mistakes. The reason that well-disciplined execution is such a huge asset is that it arms you to make fewer mistakes when faced with stiffer competition than you otherwise might be privy to. We all know that mistakes will be made, but I'm banking on a team that claims to have made fewer thus far coming through in the clutch.

825464103[/snapback]

Gentlemen,

These are some good points. I think that both the Marville Defense and Melrose Offense are being underestimated by some.

These Teams are a combined 28-0 and have played the best that the State of Tennessee has to offer in the 4A classification. That's no fluke

Melrose's last two games were much better executed from an offensive perspective than the previous two playoff games. Good teams get better and rise to the occasion . Both Teams have shown that ability. White House had a very good team and had great difficulty containing Melrose when they needed to most.

In the Maryville game against Powell, it was the defense that rose to the occasion and sealed the deal.

This is a matchup of styles that are in contrast in some areas but alike in others. Both teams have an excellent coaching staff and will be prepared.

I agree, turnovers and field position will be important in this game and both teams will be hard pressed to win if they lose that battle. This has the makings of being a great game.

Excuse me kwc, I was refering to acmoney. My bad no harm intended. I ohpe you take an illeterate's punk apology. Moyers RB by committee sounds good but in this game I think we will stick to our veterans who are both 100% this week after a while of near 80%. Tallent will be the guy to look for and I'm finally going to give my score after much internal debeat. Maryville-28 Melrose 19

Guys from Memphis, I am looking for a great high school game. I believe the Melrose D is for real. I know the Maryville coaches do.

Cooper is a great back. Maryville has seen great backs each time we have been to the Boro.

In 2000, it was Arthur Sallis and Kyle Dickerson from Memphis East. In 2001, it was Tim Gray, the Hillsboro F.B. name slips my mind, help me out Stan Trott, Woods etc from Hillsboro. In 2002, it was Calvin Bryant, Marcellous Tibbs, and Doss from Hillsboro.

Now here in 2004, I don't expect to see anything but another great back in Graig Cooper.

Go Rebs, Tornados, and Falcons.

Edited by STARSNBARS

He sounded like a guy looking forward to a good match-up. He saw a very good RB in Cooper on film and he's made it up in his mind that Maryville is going to have to stop him. He's right. He's also aware that he has Mr. Cade Thompson on his side ... so he's not too worried about manufacturing offense. It's stoping Melrose when they have the ball ... That's his concern. His trick play comments were what I was thinking about mostly though. I have no doubt if Maryville is in a tight game ... he's going to go into his bag of tricks. I think the Melrose 'D' better stay at home on the backside ... Maryville is going to exploit that if it's needed.

That's the impression I got.

825464166[/snapback]

I'd say that's about dead on....ask hillsboro about the hook and latter...

Here's four more names to admire...Tallent, Byner, Singleton and Baker...RB by committee.

Are you eating with us kwc?

825464157[/snapback]

I seriously doubt it dmoyers1. My wife is from Nashville, so we are going to make it a family weekend visit to see the grandparents as well as see the game. Orangemoundwest is flying in from Texas for the game. He and I are going to hook-up and watch the game together. Why don't we try to meet at half time or something like that?

Thanks for the invite though ... that was mighty neighborly!

Edited by kwc

Excuse me kwc, I was refering to acmoney.  My bad no harm intended.  I ohpe you take an illeterate's punk apology.  Moyers RB by committee sounds good but in this game I think we will stick to our veterans who are both 100% this week after a while of near 80%.  Tallent will be the guy to look for and I'm finally going to give my score after much internal debeat.  Maryville-28  Melrose 19

825464185[/snapback]

No harm taken. Apology accepted my man.

I seriously doubt it dmoyers1. My wife is from Nashville, so we are going to make it a family weekend visit to see the grandparents as well as see the game. Orangemoundwest is flying in from Texas for the game. He and I are going to hook-up and watch the game together. Why don't we try to meet at half time or something like that?

Thanks for the invite though ... that was mighty neighborly!

825464220[/snapback]

Yes, absolutely...is your email address on your profile? I'll send you my cell #. We can get a coke at the half and discuss the game!!