Whats going on with Unaka

pandora9

What is wrong with Unaka right now I hear they are off to a disturbing start? Only scoring 15 points going late into the 3rd quarter being defeated by a mediocur Pickett County team and turning around the next night and losing to Clay County If im not mistaken.From what I am hearing they are nothing like last years team that won the class A state title.Whats the problem? I know they lost a big crop of talent from last years team but there is not that much talk about this years team as there has been in the past of the rest of the Unaka teams.We all know how hard it is to repeat winning back to back state championships just for the simple fact you have everyone gunning for you every night you step out on the hardwood.

Maybe it is just early in the season Unaka seems to play its best ball once tournament time rolls around they seemed to hit a hot streak last year and just never stopped from that point on.They should roll through there conference easy

because everyone knows region 1 A is not the best region in single A basketball playing teams like Cloudland, University High, North Greene, and Clinch, just dont seem to be the hardest way to advance to play a substate birth so you can count on them playing a substate game the question is can they make it a home game.

Both Rockwood,Cosby,and Oneida, are loaded this year Rockwood returning the very tough guard Elery Harvest.Cosby possibly having a twice as talented team comming back as last years with 6'5 post player Timmy Blakely.The Valentine kid is back as well and there new transfer out of Cocke County Dexter Manning who is supposed to be 10 times a better shooter than standout Kent Black from last year.

Unaka better get things together because once the cakewalk is over in region 1 they will be facing a whole lot better competition in the region 2 area and if it comes to playing Cosby at there place then I have a feeling that Unaka will struggle.Everyone knows how hard it is to get a win over the eagles Unaka barely pulled one out last year hitting a game winning 3 point shot at the buzzard as time expired.Being down 10 in the 4th quarter and coming back to advance to the state.

Im calling this one out right here so all you people can say I told you so Unaka will get upset in the substate against either Rockwood or Cosby.Unaka has nothing like the calibur of team they had last year and no depth coming of the bench.

Edited by pandora9

What is wrong with Unaka right now I hear they are off to a disturbing start? Only scoring 15 points going late into the 3rd quarter being defeated by a mediocur Pickett County team and turning around the next night and losing to Clay County If im not mistaken.From what I am hearing they are nothing like last years team that won the class A state title.Whats the problem? I know they lost a big crop of talent from last years team but there is not that much talk about this years team as there has been in the past of the rest of the Unaka teams.We all know how hard it is to repeat winning back to back state championships just for the simple fact you have everyone gunning for you every night you step out on the hardwood.

Maybe it is just early in the season Unaka seems to play its best ball once tournament time rolls around they seemed to hit a hot streak last year and just never stopped from that point on.They should roll through there conference easy

because everyone knows region 1 A is not the best region in single A basketball playing teams like Cloudland, University High, North Greene, and Clinch, just dont seem to be the hardest way to advance to play a substate birth so you can count on them playing a substate game the question is can they make it a home game.

Both Rockwood,Cosby,and Oneida, are loaded this year Rockwood returning the very tough guard Elery Harvest.Cosby possibly having a twice as talented team comming back as last years with 6'5 post player Timmy Blakely.The Valentine kid is back as well and there new transfer out of Cocke County Dexter Manning who is supposed to be 10 times a better shooter than standout Kent Black from last year.

Unaka better get things together because once the cakewalk is over in region 1 they will be facing a whole lot better competition in the region 2 area and if it comes to playing Cosby at there place then I have a feeling that Unaka will struggle.Everyone knows how hard it is to get a win over the eagles Unaka barely pulled one out last year hitting a game winning 3 point shot at the buzzard as time expired.Being down 10 in the 4th quarter and coming back to advance to the state.

Im calling this one out right here so all you people can say I told you so Unaka will get upset in the substate against either Rockwood or Cosby.Unaka has nothing like the calibur of team they had last year and no depth coming of the bench.

825457895[/snapback]

Well they ran into two pretty tough teams this weekend in Pickett and Clay County for one. I watched both games and i promise you that Pickett Co is a very good team as is Clay Co. If you think that either of these teams aren't very good then you haven't watched them play. Unaka has a good squad as well, i was very impressed with them, it will take a good team to beat them thats for sure. thumb

Thanks Devil, I think We have a good bunch as well. A rough start to the season but that happens sometimes.

Gee Pandora are you trying to get someone to open up that box??? It's very early in the season to count anybody out and I don't think anybody is going to be too slouchy this year. Yes, Cosby sounds as if they will be a very tough and talented team this year and will probably give everyone they play a hard time. That's just good competition and a test to get you ready for down the road.

Unaka just needs to find their groove and work together as a team, which I think will occur as they play more and more together.

Yes, It is hard to repeat so let's just have a great season and then see what happens during the tournaments.

Two games in is way too early to tell anything. I watched Unaka play Clay County they are good. Unaka just ran into two tough teams early. Its only two games in. They are probably still trying to get back in the flow of things. It might take some time for the new starters to get into their rythym. Down the stretch I think Unaka will be tough.

Pickett has a great team and should have blown Unaka out again like last year. Last year Pickett won by 23 and were up by 14 this year before having a bad 4th quarter. Pickett is HARDLY mediocre!!! They have TWO Mr. Basketball quality players in Joseph Bailey and Josh Wright and every player on the team is talented...they have 3 freshmen who could start on Unaka's team. If any team is mediocre, it was last year's Unaka state champs with the worst record ever and winning against a weak field in Murfreesboro...the top teams got upset before the tournament. Mediocre and lucky. Also, this was NOT the Hall of Fame...this was the Thanksgiving Classic and it counted.

Edited by bobcatfan300

Would you like it if somebody got on here and all they did was talk about how bad the teams were that won state for your school? No body said Pickett was mediocre. Your school didn't make it last year for whatever reason, this is a new year and a season that just started. Time will tell for everybody and best of luck down the road.

825457895[/snapback]

Yeah that all anyone talks about now these days is how Unaka won Class A state title. I think it was fake because they got lucky with a couple of bad calls at Hancock in the region title game(only won by seven) or they would have been headed to Rockwood and probably would have gotten beat. The only reason why Hancock did not win was because those guy were one for themselves and did not care about the team. As long as they got their points they were happy. So that is enough about the stone creek rangers. That was pure luck that you guys won. You should have not even made it to the state turnm. So enough talk let's see how good you can ball!!!!!!!!! Prove that you earned the title and it was not fake and I will respect ya"ll.

Pickett has a great team and should have blown Unaka out again like last year. Last year Pickett won by 23 and were up by 14 this year before having a bad 4th quarter. Pickett is HARDLY mediocre!!! They have TWO Mr. Basketball quality players in Joseph Bailey and Josh Wright and every player on the team is talented...they have 3 freshmen who could start on Unaka's team. If any team is mediocre, it was last year's Unaka state champs with the worst record ever and winning against a weak field in Murfreesboro...the top teams got upset before the tournament. Mediocre and lucky. Also, this was NOT the Hall of Fame...this was the Thanksgiving Classic and it counted.

825458084[/snapback]

So, let's get to the bottom of this: Unaka lost to Pickett County last season and this season. Pickett County's claim to fame is that they beat the 2004 STATE CHAMPIONS!

Thus it stands to reason that all you have to do is beat a "lucky" team say, around Thanksgiving, proceed on to lose in your own Region, sit and home and declare Victory; or in this case, simply say that the STATE CHAMPION RANGERS are LUCKY and Pickett County is GREAT? Say it ain't so.

Now that might sound so sweet to your grandchildren, during Thanksgiving Dinner about thirty years from now; but guess what: You still didn't make it out of your REGION.

I was told by Tim Chambers, (Rusty's dad) that he thought that the Baily kid was "simply the best player in the state." And that was last year. Maybe he wasn't the very best, but Chambers knows a lot about this game, and he's seen a lot of players; and if he considers him that good, then, I hope to get to see him, in MURFREESBORO!

From what I've seen and heard, Pickett County is AWESOME. I don't see the benefit of replaying YOUR disasterous tournament appearance of last season; doing that only makes your team look "mediocre" at best. Sounds like ya'll have plenty to look forward to this season, rather than trying to submarine the Ranger's Title. By knocking Unaka, even though you beat them, well, you're admitting that YOUR team wasn't so good after all. Which is it? Unaka was Lucky and we were Great? Or, more than likely this is more correct: Unaka won the State Championship; Pickett County beat them badly; but then didn't play so well in the tournament? Just curious.

825458084[/snapback]

Hey Bobcat

Congragulations on winning the Byrdstown Classic last season. Funny thing, I didn't see the Pickett County Peacocks in Murfreesboro last season. I've held that gold ball a few times and it doesn't say lucky, nor does it say worst team to ever win it. What is does say is STATE CHAMPS!

And when you look in state tournament program this year you'll read the following:

High FG percentage ever shot in a state tournament 64% Lucky those shots were falling

Highes percentage ever shot in a half 100% against Temple in the semi-finals dang, you think of those kids being that lucky. They didn't do that at Byrdstown.

Chambers shoots 100% from the foul line 12 0f 12. Oh that was luck also. I could do better.

I couldn't believe the site of all the four leaf clovers, buffalo nickels and rabbits feet that were wore by the Unaka players. Why bobcat, you dont' have to be good to make it to Murfreesboro, just be lucky.

Luck, yeah you've go to have a little luck along the way to win it all but you also got to play well. Unaka had both.

Maybe this season, you might get lucky and make it out of your own back yard? All it takes is a little luck!!!!!!!!!

Now I ask you "State Championship or First place in the Byrdstown Classic?

A gold ball or a Byrdstown bobcat.

Hang in their boys, slow starters, strong finshers.

Edited by starman