Maryville/ Melrose

dallasfan

Some observations that I have garnered...I live in the Knoxville/ Maryville area, yet I also lived in the Memphis area for many, many years.

1-Why is everyone talking about how Maryville has been there before and therefore the players will do whatever it takes to win again.

-I can think of several examples of teams that have gone to 4 straight title games, and somehow managed to lose. Brentwood Academy, who year in and year out has fielded the best teams in the state, has often struggled even though they have gone every year.

-That idea has nothing to do with anything...Teams often fall off the map after playing so well in the state title the year before...stop and think about it, does that really matter?

2-Melrose is obviously faster, no one denies that...but I also think they have played better competetion week in and week out...

-They have played much better lineman than Maryville can ever dream of. I always read about how Maryville has the best lineman...which is simply not true. Tom Lemming has ranked the top lineman in the state of TN...and Melrose has defeated all of them...In fact, three of them were top 100 players in the pre-season...Briarcrests Michael Oher (who has just won Mr. Football and lead his team to the state title last Tuesday), and East's Malcolm Rawles and Dan Williams...these three individuals are all near 300 pounds, and possibly the best prospects in the state...in fact Oher is definitely UT material and has garnered attention from every school in the nation! If you can stop a 340 pound mammoth, I'm sure you should be able to handle the strong 240 pound lineman Maryville has.

3-Melrose is not one dimensional...

-I don't know why people keep saying that. No one that has seen them play has said that...Hillsboro and TN High are one dimensional...but Melrose is not. If Melrose was so one dimensional, why would one of their best athletes (Monte Wilson) be a wide receiver? Wouldn't you play him at runningback... Obviously they run a great deal since they have a Mr. Football canidate at runningback.

4-The Maryville dynasty...

-Again, something I still believe that is overrated. That has nothing to do with winning the state this year. Melrose is so well thought of, that their star RB moved back from Oklahoma just to play at Melrose...MBA and Brentwood Academy probably have equally impressive dynasties and I don't think they brought home the gold this year...instead, it was a team that last won the state in the 80's (MUS).

The Real Key to the Game...

-If Maryville can handle Melrose up front, that will give Cade time to pass and the Rbs holes to run through...then Maryville will win.

-Maryville does not have the athletes to try and break an 80 yard run on Melrose...it just won't happen...year in and year out, Melrose produces some of the best players ever...

-BTW, I think Maryville wins, this post isn't to belittle either team...it's to post my observations and try and clear misconceptions from both sides.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, you obviously don't know anything about high school football. You cant compare Brentwood Academy to either of these teams because they are a private school and have the power to recruit. The MHS dynasty is not over-rated its a fact. Sure I'll agree Melrose produces great players every year, but if they dont have a great coach to make them win, then it doesnt matter. Melrose wont be able to contend with Maryville's coaching.

I'm not saying the MHS dynasty is overrated, it clearly speaks for itself, I am sorry for the ambiguity...I'm saying that I don't believe that wins state titles...Maryville does have much better coaching and probably a better kicking game...I meant to put both of those in my original post. It is worth noting that Kenny Ingram has gone like 36-3 or something like that in the three years he's been there...

As far as recruiting...both of these teams are able to get kids outside their zones just as Brentwood Academy does...perhaps you don't like the analogy because it may prove true. No one has the power to recruit buddy...check the by-laws provided by the TSSAA.

Your comments about me are somewhat strong...I like to think I know something about high school football considering I had a few college scholarships as well as a few coaching oppurtunities as a graduate assistant...

Edited by dallasfan

I have accused no one of cheating, I simply said both schools are able to get kidds from outside their zone, that is a fact, truth hurts...

It seems out of the three individuals in this thread, I am the only one that has knowledge of both programs. I said Maryville would win the game, yet you take negative comments and dwell on them. Maryville does have some weaknesses, all teams do.

Please respond if you have comments that add to this discussion, as opposed to turning this in to a recruiting debate.

I have accused no one of cheating, I simply said both schools are able to get kidds from outside their zone, that is a fact, truth hurts...

It seems out of the three individuals in this thread, I am the only one that has knowledge of both programs.  I said Maryville would win the game, yet you take negative comments and dwell on them.  Maryville does have some weaknesses, all teams do.

Please respond if you have comments that add to this discussion, as opposed to turning this in to a recruiting debate.

825458341[/snapback]

Dallasfan:

First off I'm sorry about your boys down there in Texas.

I enjoyed your points in your first post and wish I had more info on Melrose. I'll have film and stats tonight or tommorow, then I intend to brake down the numbers.

One point, Maryville seldom breakes a big gain for 80 yards. They don't need to. They get those time consuming 1st downs and mix an effective pass attack with the run. The option, short pass, screen can easly go 15-30 yards or more. Big gains in HS ball. I respect Melrose and they might have played better competion, but make no mistake Maryville steps things up when they have to and most HS watchers will tell you Region 3-4A is the toughest region to play in. So we will see.

It seems out of the three individuals in this thread, I am the only one that has knowledge of both programs.  I said Maryville would win the game, yet you take negative comments and dwell on them.  Maryville does have some weaknesses, all teams do.

825458341[/snapback]

dallasfan,

First I would like to commend you on making a post that shows an attempt to objectively fully look at and appraise Saturdays's 4A championship game. There are some that don't want to hear a view that does not make Maryville a no visible signs of weakness and can't possibly be beaten team. So don't let that concern you.

Although I disagree with your gap in the coaching capabilities area, I like the idea that you attempted to be look at multiple factors from both perspectives and there is evidence of due diligence.

There are some interesting matchups in this game that will transcend statistics.

I never said I was bothered by the fact that just our school's name recruits for us. I am actually kind of proud about it. Anyone I dont believe Maryville has no weaknesses, because if we didnt than we should be playing in the NFL or something. I do believe Maryville will win, but I'm not completely bashing Melrose and saying they have no chance. I am well aware of the threat they pose to Maryville, thats why I have said numerous times I expect this to be a great game. The only reason I keep saying I know my team will win is, because I take pride in my team and support them.