Best coach since 2000

thatoneguy

Tim Johnson - Franklin High School

First 3 Years as Head Coach:

2002 - 11 - 2; Quarterfinalist

2003 - 11 - 3; Semifinalist

2004 - 13 - 1 Currently; In a Rebuilding Year taking School to First State Championship Game in School History.

35 - 6 ; .854 Winning Percentage

825466330[/snapback]

hE'S GONNA NEED A MIRACLE TOMORROW NITE...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Yeah, you watch Tim at Rhea Co. and see how many championships he wins while GQ is at Maryville.  Zero, zilch, none...you take him.

I say that with no disprespect to Tim at all.  I think very highly of Tim and have fond memories of him.  There is NO comparison between the two though.

825466289[/snapback]

Well let me just add the fact that Coach Quarles was hired BY Coach Hammontree, worked under him on his staff and was a very respected QB coach. The program that is ran at Maryville was started by the staff that Hammontree brought to that school when he became head coach. Quarles grew as a coach under Hammontree... ask him for yourself. those are his exact words.

Rebelron and dmoyers1, both great posts.

As good of a coach as GQ is, I think he is even a better person.

I heard GQ speak to a bunch of Upwards Basketball kids and parents last season at halftime of a game at Maryville First Baptist. His reading and scripture lesson from the Bible and his witness for Christ was truly awe inspiring. I don't think we could have a better coach, man, or Christian leading our football team.

Go Rebs, Tornados, and Falcons.

825463681[/snapback]

Could not add to that! I have been blessed as a father that GQ coached my sons during high school football. With the Lord, Me and GQ my sons will be better men, fathers and citizens because of the experience.

The down side I see GQ leaving to work for the ole' ball coach to continue to develop Cade after he ends his red shirt year at USC. Laugh at my prediction if you want but when this happens I'll be crying like the rest of the Rebel Nation.

Many HS Coaches do great job mentoring young men and GQ is one of the best in my view.

• 3 months later...
Yeah, you watch Tim at Rhea Co. and see how many championships he wins while GQ is at Maryville.  Zero, zilch, none...you take him.

I say that with no disprespect to Tim at all.  I think very highly of Tim and have fond memories of him.  There is NO comparison between the two though.

825466289[/snapback]

well how about let's all think back to when Coach Hammontree was named head coach at Maryville and how many people hated him and how many people thought he couldn't pull it off... then he pulls out a 15-0 season with a state championship... and isn't it funny that his coaching staff that he BROUGHT IN from other areas of the US... Ellis and Quarles... He brought them in to help him build a program that he said many times ''will be unstoppable.'' Hammontree took that Maryville program... built the weight program, build up the motivation, and left it for Coach Quarles to take over when the Lord took Hammontree elsewhere. You all can rave and rant about Coach Quarles, and granted, he is a WONDERFUL coach, I've known him for years, but you can't say that he made Maryville what they are today by himself, cause he didn't. Maryville is what they are after years of work that Hammontree, Quarles, Ellis, and many others started. So quit acting like he is the king of football at Maryville, there were many more before him.

And on another note... Hammontree may not have had a state championship down in Georgia where he was from, but after 5 years he did take them to the playoffs for the first time in school history. But he was lead to come back to Rhea County and be at a place where he could help the kids and be backed by the community. So I'm not saying it'll be this year, or even the next, cause we never know, but there is going to be a group of kids come out of Rhea County that will blow your mind.

well how about let's all think back to when Coach Hammontree was named head coach at Maryville and how many people hated him and how many people thought he couldn't pull it off... then he pulls out a 15-0 season with a state championship... and isn't it funny that his coaching staff that he BROUGHT IN from other areas of the US... Ellis and Quarles... He brought them in to help him build a program that he said many times ''will be unstoppable.''  Hammontree took that Maryville program... built the weight program, build up the motivation, and left it for Coach Quarles to take over when the Lord took Hammontree elsewhere. You all can rave and rant about Coach Quarles, and granted, he is a WONDERFUL coach, I've known him for years, but you can't say that he made Maryville what they are today by himself, cause he didn't. Maryville is what they are after years of work that Hammontree, Quarles, Ellis, and many others started. So quit acting like he is the king of football at Maryville, there were many more before him.

And on another note... Hammontree may not have had a state championship down in Georgia where he was from, but after 5 years he did take them to the playoffs for the first time in school history. But he was lead to come back to Rhea County and be at a place where he could help the kids and be backed by the community. So I'm not saying it'll be this year, or even the next, cause we never know, but there is going to be a group of kids come out of Rhea County that will blow your mind.

825711418[/snapback]

well i'm glad your so happy with Hammontree , i don't understand why you feel the need to put Quarles down though . for your information , Maryville had a great tradition long before hammontree came there .