History of Alcoa Football

Tornado74

Chiefy lived in Arizona and officiated basketball for several years. While his mother was sick before she passed away, he lived in Alcoa, I'm not sure where he is now.  He was a very good athlete and made a great contribution to Alcoa athletics.

825483052[/snapback]

That's great he was a great player. How about Scott O' Briene ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Scot O'Beirne. I would like to clarify something I said about Dutchie Parker. He gained almost 4500 yards in two seasons. In 1978, Bill Cochern-his last year at Alcoa- was talking to Bert " Chig" Ratledge at Loudon about Dutchie. Bill said " I almost feel guilty, we're giving the ball to Dutchie 30 or more times a game." Chig replied " the ball is not heavy and he doesn't belong to the union, give it to him."

Edited by clintabbott

Chiefy lived in Arizona and officiated basketball for several years. While his mother was sick before she passed away, he lived in Alcoa, I'm not sure where he is now.  He was a very good athlete and made a great contribution to Alcoa athletics.

825483052[/snapback]

I believe I heard that Chiefy was back out in Arizona. He was officiating some middle school basketball around here a couple/three years ago. I think out there he was/is doing some officiating on the college level??? He has battled some health problems but I think doctors have them under control. I know that another Alcoa legend ... Steve Bledsoe .... keeps up with him.

Here's a few names ... not sure if any or all have been mentioned ... Gaylon "Sexy" Love; Tommy Wimbley; 'H' Lingenfelter; Tyrus Gilmore; and a great one who never finished ... Lester Whitted.

Even today I hear stories about how great a player H.H. Linginfelter was. I continue to see him at most of the games. His mother, who was my 1st grade teacher, passed away recently.

Lester Whitted could have go far in both football and basketball. He was a great talent that unfortunately got sidetracked.

Another great football player from the late 70s was Terry Whitted, a speedster who was also a great basketball player.

2 players without great talent or size that got the most out of their abilities and then some were Tracy Nuchols and Brian Perkins.

I've seen some great sites of HS football teams across the country. Nothing would make me more proud then to see my own High school and former team have their own website so im thinking of constructing one. First thing first though I need to learn a lil more about the history of Alcoa Football (coaches, records, greatest teams, great players etc) any input from anyone would be great. If you have pictures of any games any years or anything that deals with alcoa football that you would like to post on the site I'll be happy to give you my email addy for you to email them to me! and Thanks for anyone who can help

825474126[/snapback]

You'd better hurry Tornado...I'm gonna have a Tornado page on my Rebels site. I'm starting my site this weekend. Email me and we'll work together on it. thumb

Terry Whitted was one of the few people I ever remember who could move just as fast dribbling a basketball as he could without. He was a phenomenal athlete.

Sam Love at linebacker was probably the toughest assignment I ever drew as a blocking tight end. We played the Tornadoes my junior season. Both teams were undefeated entereing the contest. We were both in the same district that year. Alcoa won 31 -0 I think. Seems like it was 28-0 at half and then they took it easy on us. My task was to block down on Sam that night. I think I held him to around 14 solo tackles. I'm glad he just played a half. He might have broken some kind of record!!!

Homer Henderson (although he battled some off-field problems) was a great Alcoa football player. Another I remember was ...darn I forgot his name. Played around early 90's ... linebacker ... played an indredible game in playoff loss to Powell as a freshmen ... maybe it was Dominique something??? Help me JRC or Coach Abbot.

You'd better hurry Tornado...I'm gonna have a Tornado page on my Rebels site.  I'm starting my site this weekend.  Email me and we'll work together on it. thumb

825483626[/snapback]

Deffently man I'd love to help out anyway i can while i get this stuff organized if you need my help with anything Alcoa or Maryville I can do my best, i played ball for alcoa a few years ago then my brother played for maryville (if any yall remember then Daily times newspaper that year) so if you or anyone wants to hit me up just email me at gboo7406@yahoo.com