History of Alcoa Football

Tornado74

Five Alcoa Alumni played in the NFL, see stats from The Pro Football Enclyclopedia below:

Albert Davis, SR (TSU) 1971 Philadelphia Eagles (14 games)

Dave Davis (TSU) 1971-72 Green Bay Packers, 1973 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1974 New Orleans Saints ( 36 games)

Tim George (Carson-Newman) 1973 Cinncinatti Bengals, 1974 Cleveland Browns (20 games)

Shannon Mitchell (UGA) 1994-1997 San Diego Chargers (55 games)

Billy Williams (UT) 1996 St Louis Rams (1 game)

for more indepth stats try www.profootballencyclopedia.com

Thanks for the great information.  I know there have been Maryville players in the NFL.  Can one of our Maryville friends provide us with a list.

825484522[/snapback]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

I have seen many great athletes go through Alcoa. Too many to name on here but I agree with clintabbott and a few others. Lester Whitted was the best athlete I ever seen in Blount County. I will never forget in 1985 watching Maryville play against Alcoa in basketball. Maryville had some good players that year. Bryan Dailey and Klause Extine. But some sophomore named Lester Whitted stole the show. Lester had 36 points in that game. I watched him later against a loaded Austin East team and even though Alcoa lost Lester lit those guys up. If Lester would have had his head on straight he could have easily played in the NBA. I remember seeing Lester play football during his junior season which was the 85 football season. Lester intercepted a couple of passes in the Maryville game. He was an all world defensive back.

I had more than one person tell me that in pickup games at springbrook gym Alan Houston would show up. I heard that him and Lester would play each other head to head and Lester would get the best of him.

Lester Whitted is the biggest waste of basketball talent I ever seen.

RebelRon- You and I agree quite often, I appreciate your positive posts- the world doesn't have to be negative.  Lester Whitted, not just a waste in basketball, but life.

825484604[/snapback]

Stories like his are sad. I hate to see people so gifted waste it all. Lester Whitted,Travis Cozart,Donte Hickey and Reggie Brown are some of the biggest wastes of talent I ever seen. I don't know If Hickey has been in trouble but Cozart and Brown have served some jail time.

Maryville Rebels in NFL per The Pro Football Enclyclopedia:

Aaron Grant (UT-C) 1930 Portsmouth Spartans(later changed name to Detroit Lions)

Jimmy Hill (Tennessee) 1951-52 Detroit Lions, 1955 Pittsburgh Steelers

Knox Ramsey (William & Mary) 1948-49 LA Dons, 1950-51 Chicago Bears, 1952 Philadelphia Eagles, 1952-1953 Washington Redskins

Garrard "Buster" Ramsey (William & Mary) from Maryville but played at Knoxville High (Knoxville High was the master of recruiting in the old days) 1946-1951 Chicago Bears

Danny Spradlin (Tennessee) 1981-82 Dallas Cowboys, 1983-84 Tampa Bay Buccaneers and 1985 St Louis Cardinals

I remember Scotty very Well, he is another student that didn't have any choice except to be a good citizen.  His mother Lana is a great person and would have made sure that Scotty became a good tax paying citizen, the older I get the importance of tax paying gets.

825484161[/snapback]

That's the politicion coming out in you! lol

Edited by Rebelsman

Eye wood like two add a nuvur feller who played at AHS in tha mid sevunties. Eye beelieve he wuz a lineman, who once turned ento a back, and eye thank his first naim wuz Jo.

Go Rebs.

825485207[/snapback]

Also home of STARSNBARS Garbige/Recruitin' Survuss. Our mottoe iz, "Ain't No Pile Too Big."

Yu've shore nuff' depositid yore shair uv Big Piles!