Cardinals resign Morris, Eldred & Mabry

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a redbird fan since the sixties, but the reason they will never go on a run of World Championships is they will not pay for the big winner. They will put a good product on the field but will not outbid anyone for the top notch FA or to keep

the best SS in the NL. With the Ynakees, Red Sox, Angels and others willing to break the bank for these over the top players, the best the Cardinals can hope for is a majical run occasionally like last year, and then they didn't have the pitching to close the deal. But I still love my redbirds.

I've been a redbird fan since the sixties, but the reason they will never go on a run of World Championships is they will not pay for the big winner.  They will put a good product on the field but will not outbid anyone for the top notch FA or to keep

the best SS in the NL.  With the Ynakees, Red Sox, Angels and others willing to break the bank for these over the top players, the best the Cardinals can hope for is a majical run occasionally like last year, and then they didn't have the pitching to close the deal.  But I still love my redbirds.

825487404[/snapback]

Edgar Renteria isn't worth $10 million a year in St. Louis. They'll be pretty well-served to take that $10 million a year and find a 2B and a SS -- Polanco and Cabrera maybe -- to split it between.

The Cards don't necessarily need to win bidding wars for the top free agents, because they have Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Walker. What they need to do is be really good about the second-tier guys they bring in for reasonable prices...and Jocketty has done pretty well with that the last couple of offseasons, after being horrendous at it previously.

Edgar Renteria isn't worth $10 million a year in St. Louis.  They'll be pretty well-served to take that $10 million a year and find a 2B and a SS -- Polanco and Cabrera maybe -- to split it between.

The Cards don't necessarily need to win bidding wars for the top free agents, because they have Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Walker.  What they need to do is be really good about the second-tier guys they bring in for reasonable prices...and Jocketty has done pretty well with that the last couple of offseasons, after being horrendous at it previously.

825488611[/snapback]

What they need is a #1 go to SP. And they cost money. No, Renteria isn't worth 10 mill a year, Heck Pujols isn't worth 14 mill a year and he is just about the best. Yes, if they got Polonco and cabrera and used the savings of losing Renteria Womack Matheney and Williams to nail downa top notch #1 guy, this would help. And Jocketty does an incredible job in the framework he has to work. No the Cardinals should not become the Yankees and drop 15 million on every top free agent in the market, but to get over the top they do need to drop $$$ on SP. Instead they take a chance on a Chris Carpenter, who was phenominal and unexpected and cheap, but not available in post season. They will put 5 decent starters out there, but they need 3 decent starters and 2 studs to win it all.

The second tier guys for reasonable prices sometimes work out, sometimes don't (as do the top notch FA's). So the Cardinals will always be good, and if things break right in a given year can contend for the WS like this past year. But when teams have good years, that means players have good years, which mean th Yankees, Red Sox, Angels or others are willing to overpay them to play for them, and the Cardinals will always lose these guys.

Personally, I like the way The Cardinals do things better, but unfortunately in baseball now you usually have to buy your world championships.

What they need is a #1 go to SP.  And they cost money.  No, Renteria isn't worth 10 mill a year, Heck Pujols isn't worth 14 mill a year and he is just about the best.  Yes, if they got Polonco and cabrera and used the savings of losing Renteria Womack Matheney and Williams to nail downa top notch #1 guy, this would help.  And Jocketty does an incredible job in the framework he has to work.  No the Cardinals should not become the Yankees and drop 15 million on every top free agent in the market, but to get over the top they do need to drop $$$ on SP.  Instead they take a chance on a Chris Carpenter, who was phenominal and unexpected and cheap, but not available in post season.  They will put 5 decent starters out there, but they need 3 decent starters and 2 studs to win it all.

The second tier guys for reasonable prices sometimes work out, sometimes don't (as do the top notch FA's).  So the Cardinals will always be good, and if things break right in a given year can contend for the WS like this past year.  But when teams have good years, that means players have good years, which mean th Yankees, Red Sox, Angels or others are willing to overpay them to play for them, and the Cardinals will always lose these guys.

Personally, I like the way The Cardinals do things better, but unfortunately in baseball now you usually have to buy your world championships.

825489245[/snapback]

You got your wish, the Oakland A's traded Mark Mulder to the St. Louis Cardinals for pitchers Danny Haren and Kiko Calero and minor league catcher Daric Barton! It will be weird watching Hudson vs Mulder when the Cards and Braves hook horns!

I think both teams have made serious statements, by going out and obtaining front line pitchers!

You got your wish, the Oakland A's traded Mark Mulder to the St. Louis Cardinals for pitchers Danny Haren and Kiko Calero and minor league catcher Daric Barton! It will be weird watching Hudson vs Mulder when the Cards and Braves hook horns!

I think both teams have made serious statements, by going out and obtaining front line pitchers!

825490762[/snapback]

Yes, happy about Mulder, although I did like Haren and Calero. Still would like 1 more #1 guy. Cardinals need to take advantage while they have Pujols, Edmonds Rolen, Walker in town. Renteria loss will hurt, will miss Womack and esp Matheny (really like that guy), but Molina will do a quality job, Womcak was good but is replaceable. If they can land a Cabrera type SS and another stud SP, the Birds could go on another run, Maybe 1 step further? If they can beat the FA all star team from NY.

I dont really worry about the Yankees too much, because all they are now is a bunch of over-paid egos, thats just want all the limelight! If the Yanks want to win another world title, they are going to have to get back to the blue-collar players like they used to have in O'Neill, Brosius, Martinez, Leyritz, Girardi, Knoblauch, Pettitte, Wells, Cone, Spencer, Fielder, etc! Think about all the teams that have won the WS recently, they all have some of those blue-collar players!

Free agent shortstops available: Barry Larkin, David Eckstein, Rich Aurilia, Alex S. Gonzalez, Ramon Martinez, Cody Ransom and Pokey Reese.

The Cardinals can either sign one of these guys or go with Hector Luna. That would mean you need a 2nd baseman. Those available include: Roberto Alomar, Miguel Cairo, Alex Cora, Mark Grudzielanek, Ricky Gutierrez, Desi Relaford, Rey Sanchez, Luis Ugueto and Enrique Wilson.