Cardinals resign Morris, Eldred & Mabry

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite know where the resigning of Morris comes into play with the chances of the Cardinals signing a big name #1 starter, but, I was surprised with the move.

825474634[/snapback]

If they end up with 6 starters, they'll trade one or do a 2-for-1 or something. Morris's contract *should* be incentive-laden and not very expensive...if so, I think it's a solid move, because if Morris gets his arm back somehow, he's a 1/2 starter.

If they end up with 6 starters, they'll trade one or do a 2-for-1 or something.  Morris's contract *should* be incentive-laden and not very expensive...if so, I think it's a solid move, because if Morris gets his arm back somehow, he's a 1/2 starter.

825474988[/snapback]

I think you're right Opperman...Morris may have been signed to complete a trade. But, they may be banking on his arm regaining some strength after having his shoulder scoped last month.

If they can pull off the Hudson trade then I will be happy with this. Morris pre DK's death was unbeatable. Post DK, he's been anything but a top-line starter and I have yet to figure out why they resigned him.

But, if he can regain his old form and add Tim Hudson, then there is your 1-2 punch that you need.

I'm much more worried we are going to lose Renteria.

If they can pull off the Hudson trade then I will be happy with this.  Morris pre DK's death was unbeatable.  Post DK, he's been anything but a top-line starter and I have yet to figure out why they resigned him.

But, if he can regain his old form and add Tim Hudson, then there is your 1-2 punch that you need.

I'm much more worried we are going to lose Renteria.

825476893[/snapback]

Last night on KMOX, it was believed that the Cards will resign Renteria. He has a good offer dron=m Detroit, but he wants to stay in St Louis. The other team who has a legit shot at him is the Angels. Losing Womack didn't bother me a lot. Getting Hudson would be great.

...and either get a legitimate MLB catcher or a mediocre catcher who can hit, the latter would be a backup to Molina.

825484176[/snapback]

They are banking all the catching duties on Molina it seems. If he produces, then he is a steal. Matheney was one of the smartest catchers in the game and one of my favorites on the team. It's tough to see him go. The same goes with Woody. Both provided a lot of leadership in the club house and were great individuals off the field as well.

Right now I am not to happy with the offseason moves of the Cards. I don't think Renteria is worth 10+ million a year, but we're going to have to offer it to get him. My only hope is that the Red Sox now focus solely on a 5th starter since Pedro is gone and decide to not sign Renteria.