Why is football

CoachTVA

Now that I've gotten one post closed let's try to start an intelligent thread. Why is it that football is so much more popular in TN that in most other places? Namely in VA where I live now. :huh: It seems that only two places can compete with TN in this category. One is TX, where football is a religion, and the other would have to be Southwest PA, where my wife is from. Any thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

I am saddened to say that football has seemed to decline in popularity somewhat in TN with the popularity of soccer.

However, it is still the number #1 sport in TN!

Now that I've gotten one post closed let's try to start an intelligent thread.  Why is it that football is so much more popular in TN that in most other places?  Namely in VA where I live now. :)  It seems that only two places can compete with TN in this category.  One is TX, where football is a religion, and the other would have to be Southwest PA, where my wife is from.  Any thoughts?

825475849[/snapback]

In Georgia and in Florida, football is HUGE! The fan support is big and it is the #1 sport.

In California, football is also big! I thought Ohio and Michigan were big High School Football states but I could be wrong.

In Georgia and in Florida, football is HUGE! The fan support is big and it is the #1 sport.

In California, football is also big! I thought Ohio and Michigan were big High School Football states but I could be wrong.

825475870[/snapback]

Nope, your right, Ohio and Mich. are very big into football at the high school level. And yes, Tennessee is big into the fan part of high school football, we just need to get more administrative, public, and business community $$ support to some sections of the state so we can give our kids a chance to take pride and build a player base similar to FL, GA, and TX.............. thumb

I can't agree with the FL and CA part of the discussion. While in the Marine Corps, I lived in both of these states, and I never saw the enthusiasm that I grew up seeing. I am sorry though, that I left out Ohio and MI. you're right, they are big football states.

Someone commented on businesses getting behind our teams. Personally, I have seen businesses in Cookeville back our boys for a long time. I think the reason for lack of interest from businesses is, sometimes, caused by having so mony schools in one area and having more of them pop up every year. In the county I live in here in Virginia, we have 4 high schools right now, and they are opening another one next year and another in '07. It's really hard to have any team spirit if you don't know who your team is! At any rate, football in Virginia cannot hold a candle to football at home! And that is just sad! B)

Well, my guess is that HS football is biggest in Texas but, to answer your question, TN is a predominately rural state and for 10 (and hopefully more) weeks a year, HS football is the single biggest local event of the week in most towns!!!!!!!!

Not only that but, HS football is big in TN simply because WE LOVE IT!!!!!! WE BREATH IT!!!!!! WE BLEED IT!!!!!!

And a whole lot of us do it or have done it (play football here)!

Well, my guess is that HS football is biggest in Texas but, to answer your question, TN is a predominately rural state and for 10 (and hopefully more) weeks a year, HS football is the single biggest local event of the week in most towns!!!!!!!!

Not only that but, HS football is big in TN simply because WE LOVE IT!!!!!! WE BREATH IT!!!!!! WE BLEED IT!!!!!!

825477120[/snapback]

I wonder how our enthusiasm compares to the little towns and communities that show up on Friday nights to watch their cowboy/farmboys play on those sixman teams in the Plains states. I would really like to see one of those games live sometime................. thumb

825477120[/snapback]

Same with me. I played in the mid-'80's in Cookeville. It's a sad situation up here in VA, because we have a team from the town we live in that is playing for a state title on Saturday, and not very many people even know it! There haven't been any big pep rallys, bon fires, etc. like back home. I'm going to the game on Saturday in Richmond, because #1 I want to see a good game and hope they win it all, and #2 I "might" be the HC at a new high school that is opening in our town next year. The 5th one for us and #6 will open in '07! Some of those boys will be playing at the new school next year. I think that has some to do with the state of the game in this area also. If you're always redistricting and building more, it's hard to have any school spirit, because you don't know what your school really is. When you have a smaller town with only one school like Cookeville, Livingston Academy, and many others around the state, it's easier for the community to rally around them. I miss Friday nights when everything around town stopped if your team was playing a home game! Oh well, it's my fault, I guess for choosing to live here, but you've got to make a $ wherever you can!

I wonder how our enthusiasm compares to the little towns and communities that show up on Friday nights to watch their cowboy/farmboys play on those sixman teams in the Plains states.  I would really like to see one of those games live sometime................. thumb

825477136[/snapback]

I played 8-man ball in the Marine Corps, and it is a trip! Not alot of plays, but most of what you do have is big!