Why is football

CoachTVA

Tennessee doesnt even hold a candle to Alabama when it comes to High School Football. The fan support and participation is levels above most states. Tennessee is way above most also, but for some strange reason Alabama has more support for football than Tn. It may have something to do with Bear Bryant. He is still revered highly down there. Dads still dream of thier kids playing for the Tide just like they did 25 years ago. Thats a big thing there. Maybe thats why they tend to lean heavier towards football. Youll see more Bama apparell and bumper stickers (tags) than any other state. Heck there are alot more Tide fans in Tennessee than there are Vol fans in Alabama. I think they still lynch people for that down there.

825478136[/snapback]

It looks like more kids are playing for Auuuuuburn right now...not Bama. :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GreenMan,

I couldn't really argue the 'Bama/TN comparison with you. HS football is really BIG here in Tennessee. Look, you even came over and dropped in on our site!!!! If it weren't good you wouldn't be here-----right?!

Coach Bryant was a legend! One that I saw many times put great teams on the field. Even Coach Bryant had a respect for Gen. Neyland!!!!!!!!!!! As in Neyland Stadium----you've heard of it!!!!!

TN high school football-----live for it!!!! thumb thumb

GreenMan,

I couldn't really argue the 'Bama/TN comparison with you. HS football is really BIG here in Tennessee. Look, you even came over and dropped in on our site!!!! If it weren't good you wouldn't be here-----right?!

Coach Bryant was a legend! One that I saw many times put great teams on the field. Even Coach Bryant had a respect for Gen. Neyland!!!!!!!!!!! As in Neyland Stadium----you've heard of it!!!!!

TN high school football-----live for it!!!! thumb  thumb

825479114[/snapback]

I am from Collinwood. Thats in Tennessee. Were close to the state line. I have lots of family in the Birmingham area. I know firsthand how important football is down there. I dont see that same spark up here. Not to say this state isnt on fire for football, but they do have an edge. I can honestly say Ive never seen someone from Al. that was a Vol fan. Theyre either Bama or Auburn or getting run out of town.

TN football is good but it could be much, much better if we had ANY support(funding) from the state. The programs that are successful do it by themselves(counties) and get private funding. I believe TN is ranked 48th or 49th in the nation in per student spending. That's a shame. Better pay for teachers,better supplemental pay for coaches would inevitably lead to better performance for ALL sports,I believe.

soccer thats communist! what a joke lets run around a field in skin tight shorts and kick a ball around. a sports in which you can't use your hands that can't even be considered a sport, soccer is less of a sport than cheerleading, so how can you say it is taking popularity away from football give me a break! :lol::rolleyes:

825477277[/snapback]

[/quote

EXCUSE me Cheerleading is a sport!!! Growing up as a cheerleader all of my life in another SEC great state of ALABAMA, my varsity year we had this great head cheerleader, a senior, who should have been in the marine corps!!! I made the comment to her after running 2 miles each morning, running the wooden bleachers that were soo high and scary the football team hated them, after all of that having 2 hours of practice every morning and 2 hours in the evening, 5 sometimes 6 days a week, I was like...this is cheerleading, we are suppose to look pretty and do the cheers...she stopped me dead in my tracks at that moment and said, cheerleading isn't just to look pretty, being a cheeleader is being an athlete!!! I despised her at that time. Thanks to her after going to Auburn for camp competing against teams from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, local rivals in Mobile, which was soo sweet, we for the first time in our school's history at the time which is a 6-A school and happened to win state that year, we won 1st runner up of over 150 squads, with our head cheerleader winning best cheerleader at the camp!!! I might have despised her then, but to this day, she is one that gave me interegity, one person that will stick in my heart 4-ever for what she taught us. I went on to coach cheerleading for 7 years, even though it being in senior pro, I taught those girls what she had taught me, without the brashness...these girls were 13 and 14, but we went on to win every championship that we were involved in and every girl but maybe 2 went on to be cheerleaders for East Robertson, those girls kicked behind!!! Beautiful, too...way beautiful!!! They also went on to win division championships in cheerleading at their camps. For a small school, they were awesome!!! So Cheerleading my dear is a sport if you have the right coach...Soccer is also an intense sport which every football player should play in the off season if permitted, just because of the strength that it gives you running constantly, the aggelities that it also helps give to use as a football tool!!! So yeah, football in the South is GREAT, why do you think that there are soo many UT fans? No football in the SOUTH would be like going to school and not having an ENGLISH class. Men and WOMEN like myself would die without college football!!! My blood runneth Crimson, all the way BAMA!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta pull for all of the SEC teams if ya really love the game...South Carolina might be tricky this year with Spurrier back, but it's going to make it interesting again to see Fulmer against Spurrier in the same Eastern division. He might be a jerk, but great coach!!! He also holds the dreaded secrets that makes Fulmer not want to step foot in the state of Alabama. Subpoena baby!!! He was the first SEC coach to be fined, $15,000.00 for not attending the MUST have to go to of the SEC coaches meeting which was held in Birmingham this year!!! What is everyone's poll, UT fan or not that he will show up to coach the game in October which is being held in Tuscaloosa this year? There is no way that he would be a wimp and not show up, that has never happened in college history!!! Subpoena and Spurrier knows the little dirty secrets that could get Tennessee on probation!!! True story, were just talking about this entire situation on ESPN and CBS when Auburn played UT this past Saturday!!! Not a Bama excuse if something bad happens to UT when he finally is man enough to get the subpoena...it will be all of Fulmer's fault, him and his little hidden tape recorder in his front pocket!!! He just didn't think that he would get named when his buddy had to go to court under oath!!! We'll see!!!!

:rolleyes: Yeah but, if they didn't have a football team or a basketball team.........who would they cheer for?

Really, I appreciate the effort it takes to cheer and be in band, but let's be real. They are the Cosell to football's Ali......."I made you Howard!"

And uh, they give subpoenas in Tennessee you know! Maybe there's an Alabama grad who practices law in Big Orange Country that'll give one to ole Phil.

Yeah, if War and Peace is coherent. It's integrity and agility and $10,000........which the U gladly antied up! Continue.....this is almost as entertaining as Finebaum.......

Edited by ksgovols

Now that I've gotten one post closed let's try to start an intelligent thread.  Why is it that football is so much more popular in TN that in most other places?  Namely in VA where I live now. :P  It seems that only two places can compete with TN in this category.  One is TX, where football is a religion, and the other would have to be Southwest PA, where my wife is from.  Any thoughts?

825475849[/snapback]

that's a good question. It's weird how different parts of our county like different sports. I've heard of wrestling matches up north, such a Pennsylvania or Iowa, just as many people go to them as they do football games in Tennessee.

soccer thats communist! what a joke lets run around a field in skin tight shorts and kick a ball around. a sports in which you can't use your hands that can't even be considered a sport, soccer is less of a sport than cheerleading, so how can you say it is taking popularity away from football give me a break! ;);)

825477277[/snapback]

[/quote

EXCUSE me Cheerleading is a sport!!! Growing up as a cheerleader all of my life in another SEC great state of ALABAMA, my varsity year we had this great head cheerleader, a senior, who should have been in the marine corps!!! I made the comment to her after running 2 miles each morning, running the wooden bleachers that were soo high and scary the football team hated them, after all of that having 2 hours of practice every morning and 2 hours in the evening, 5 sometimes 6 days a week, I was like...this is cheerleading, we are suppose to look pretty and do the cheers...she stopped me dead in my tracks at that moment and said, cheerleading isn't just to look pretty, being a cheeleader is being an athlete!!! I despised her at that time. Thanks to her after going to Auburn for camp competing against teams from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, local rivals in Mobile, which was soo sweet, we for the first time in our school's history at the time which is a 6-A school and happened to win state that year, we won 1st runner up of over 150 squads, with our head cheerleader winning best cheerleader at the camp!!! I might have despised her then, but to this day, she is one that gave me interegity, one person that will stick in my heart 4-ever for what she taught us. I went on to coach cheerleading for 7 years, even though it being in senior pro, I taught those girls what she had taught me, without the brashness...these girls were 13 and 14, but we went on to win every championship that we were involved in and every girl but maybe 2 went on to be cheerleaders for East Robertson, those girls kicked behind!!! Beautiful, too...way beautiful!!! They also went on to win division championships in cheerleading at their camps. For a small school, they were awesome!!! So Cheerleading my dear is a sport if you have the right coach...Soccer is also an intense sport which every football player should play in the off season if permitted, just because of the strength that it gives you running constantly, the aggelities that it also helps give to use as a football tool!!! So yeah, football in the South is GREAT, why do you think that there are soo many UT fans? No football in the SOUTH would be like going to school and not having an ENGLISH class. Men and WOMEN like myself would die without college football!!! My blood runneth Crimson, all the way BAMA!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta pull for all of the SEC teams if ya really love the game...South Carolina might be tricky this year with Spurrier back, but it's going to make it interesting again to see Fulmer against Spurrier in the same Eastern division. He might be a jerk, but great coach!!! He also holds the dreaded secrets that makes Fulmer not want to step foot in the state of Alabama. Subpoena baby!!! He was the first SEC coach to be fined, $15,000.00 for not attending the MUST have to go to of the SEC coaches meeting which was held in Birmingham this year!!! What is everyone's poll, UT fan or not that he will show up to coach the game in October which is being held in Tuscaloosa this year? There is no way that he would be a wimp and not show up, that has never happened in college history!!! Subpoena and Spurrier knows the little dirty secrets that could get Tennessee on probation!!! True story, were just talking about this entire situation on ESPN and CBS when Auburn played UT this past Saturday!!! Not a Bama excuse if something bad happens to UT when he finally is man enough to get the subpoena...it will be all of Fulmer's fault, him and his little hidden tape recorder in his front pocket!!! He just didn't think that he would get named when his buddy had to go to court under oath!!! We'll see!!!!

825479559[/snapback]

The may have been the most boring useless rhetoric that I have ever had to sift through to get to the main point... Oh have not found the point yet... Cheerleading is NOT a sport it is competitive but not a sport. in my opinion anything where the outcome is decided by a panel of people such as judges as opposed to the participants then it is not a sport, cheerleaders are fine and dandy but if they banned cheerleading then we would still have football basketball and baseball