Which Division more respected and why?

mr. tennessee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd have to say D1 is probably tougher, because of the amount of wrestlers there are that are decent enough to come out of nowhere and give a tough match to even the better wrestlers in the state. D2 seems to consistently have very technically skilled wrestlers that beat the best of D1. i guess really it just depends on the weight class.

D-2 usually has some better wrestling "programs"

825503957[/snapback]

Yea D-2 usually has better teams but D-1 usually has better individuals. Not taking away from D-2 but D-1 has have better individuals. I know there have been some great wrestlers from D-2 that could win in D-1. This year I think Whit Dunning could win the state in ethier state cahmpionship and Nick Marble cold win in ethier as well, but to me division one just has more tough individuals than D-2.

D2 has these advantages...usually...better facilities to train in...better Coaches...and tougher schedules (tournaments we travel to) ,...which makes better wrestlers. Where D1 has the advantage is in sheer volume of atheletes to choose from. Collins Hill has 4000+ students we have 975 maybe...it is also my belief that the last few years that any D2 duals champ could beat the D1 period.

D2 has some great coaches, but to say they have better coaches is a little much. I think the perception is exactly that, but when there are only about 4 to 5 great programs in D2, and not recognize the great programs in D1 is not very accurate.

As a percentage of private schools who have great coaches, then yes, D2 is stacked. However, if you look at the number and stack them up agianst the same number of great coaches in D1, there is a better analysis of the true state of coaching in both divisions.

wrestling facilities, I am not sure, I have not seen enough of the practice venues, but Cleveland has a nice one, so does Bradley, and Soddy-D.

I believe FR was an awesome duals team last year, but I also think that the D1 team could have won that match between the two of them. But who really knows when all the bumping and match up could change in that format last year.

1997 John Overton 173

1996 John Overton 188.5

1995 Red Bank 156

1994 Cleveland 136.5

1993 McCallie 184.5

1992 McCallie 183

I say it's pretty even! If you go back to 1961 when TSSAA started keeping records it's DI -18, DII-21. Go back 20yrs and its DI-8, DII- 12. If you take away McCallie's Streak from 90-93 it's about even.

Just the fact's mam.

But the DII schools seam to keep their coaches longer and have great facilities. Our Facilities are about the size of a 2 car garage and all our trophies are sitting on a table our hanging in the wrestling room.

There are great programs at the top of both. DII tends to fall off a lot quicker than DI. Depth is what makes the difference when the divisions are compared. The top 10 in the traditional tournaments demonstrate what I am talking about. There are teams that regularly claim top 10 honors in DII state that would be hard pressed to be top 25 with any regularity if the state tournaments were combined. Here is a comparision of 7th to 10th place in both divisions from last year. You decide.

7th - East Ridge vs Brentwood Academy

8th - Science Hill vs MUS

9th - Kenwood vs Webb

10th - Overton vs Knox Cath

One other thing is the depth within weight classes. There are some wrestlers who win 5th - 6th place medals in DII that many would consider so so average wrestlers. The 5th - 6th place winners in DI are far better wrestlers. Would either of them place if the divisions were combined? Not likely, but the DI wrestlers place winners would have the better ability to do so.