USA Today Poll, January 4th

flngrvy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Colorado and follow national girl's basketball religiously. On the national scene I'm a big fan of Rick Insell and the Shelbyville program he has engineered, because most years, Shelbyville is the one Tennessee team that makes a dent in the national rankings. But it's obvious this is not going to be Shelbyville's year, and Mt. Juliet is the class of the state in the early part of the season.

I'm rooting for Mt. Juliet to keep and strengthen its national ranking for the rest of the year. Go Mt. J! Keep Tennessee girl's basketball in the nation's view, and best of luck in continuing to show the class and skill you have shown thus far in the season.

That's great to hear, but what about Shelbyville?  Are they just not doing that good this year or what?

825507073[/snapback]

Shelbyville is 7-7 this year, which, of course, is abysmal by typical Golden Eagle standards. However, their 5 instate losses have come to teams with a combined record of 63-14 (.818). Though they may not be worldbeaters this year, Shelbyville is most assuredly still in the upper echelon of teams in Tennessee.

Anybody know how many TN teams have been ranked #1 by USA Today? I can think of 2. Shelbyville and White County. Any others?

825507314[/snapback]

I think you're right. Here's a boost for past 7AA teams:

When White County was #1 in USA Today, Livingston Academy beat them at White County.

When Shelbyville was #1 in USA Today last year, Jackson County beat them at Jackson County.

When Shelbyville was #1 in USA Today in the early 90's, they couldn't or wouldn't play Livingston Academy, who was then ranked #4 in USA Today.

Just a little food for thought. Congrats to Mount Juliet.

I think you're right. Here's a boost for past 7AA teams:

When White County was #1 in USA Today, Livingston Academy beat them at White County.

When Shelbyville was #1 in USA Today last year, Jackson County beat them at Jackson County.

When Shelbyville was #1 in USA Today in the early 90's, they couldn't or wouldn't play Livingston Academy, who was then ranked #4 in USA Today.

Just a little food for thought. Congrats to Mount Juliet.

825507345[/snapback]

I remember the White Co. vs. LA game. White Co. was up by like 9 points with 3 minutes to go and then LA hit like 4 three pointers to get it to OT and then took the victory.