Oak Ridge vs. Oliver Springs

OS91

With Oliver Springs becoming one of the better programs in the state over the last four seasons, it makes zero sense why Oak Ridge won't schedule the Lady Cats for a regular season game.

Oak Ridge plays AA programs such as Alcoa which hardlygenerates fan interest, so why not play Oliver Springs? Certainly, an OS-OR matchup would bring an overlfow crowd and major $$$$$$. As everyone knows, OS has one of the most loyal and large followings for a school of 450-500 kids.

With the talent and teams OS is producing, this game should happen. The OS Middle School program has not lost a regular season game in three years. and has possibly the best 8th grader in the state in Chistopher on a OSMS team that is phenomenal this year.. With all that talent in middle school and uncdercalssment on the high school team, this is the perfect time to initiate a rivalry that should have already started 20 plus years ago. OS is building something special and has proven it's more than Laura Hall.

There is no reason for Oak Ridge not to want to play this game. OS has proven it can compete and this game would be HUGe for the Anderson County area. Two cities that border each other with these good of programs should play.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are wrong about one thing. Alcoa and Oak Ridge have played every year since 1949 and this has always been a community favorite. More for the boys game as of late maybe. Ask the officials at both schools if they don't get great turnouts for these games. When the powers sit down and make out the non-district schedules they look for getting the best teams, boys and girls that can make their team better come February. This is a lose lose for Oak Ridge. They are a larger school and they should win but if they lose. it makes headlines. There are better programs in Class 3AAA for them to play and tournaments to go to then to waste a game against OS. Nothing personal. I respect the Oliver Springs program. I have watched Oak Ridge basketball for many years and this game would not interest me at all. If it was a case of needing bigger gates then maybe but from a competitive standpoint . I have no interest.

Edited by DCCATVOICE

You are correct I really dont think anyone in Oak-Ridge wants this game for the chance of a loss but I promise you it will fill the gym every year,when programs like OR have Won so much in their area they dont want a little small 400 student school to beat them and I understand that. But the people from OS would love the game Win or Lose just want the chance to compete...

It's very accurate that Oak Ridge in the past has nothing to gain ny playing Oliver Springs, but how can you state that in 2005 and beyond?

Certainly a 15-1 Oliver Springs team versus a 11-6 Oak Ridge team that has already lost to less stellar programs than Oliver SPrings like Campbell County and Maryville would be an excellent matchup this season. Additionally, Oak Ridge has already played two AA programs in Upperman and previously mentioned Alcoa. OSHS was an AA semifinalist last season and has won close to 90 games the last three seasons with two state tourney appearences. I hardly see why Oliver Springs and the Lady Bobcat Program would even have to justify to ANY program a chance to at least compete, much less play.

With the talent coming through OSMS ( undefeated last three regular seasons), talent in underclassment at OSHS, and 8th grade phenom Christopher this game should be scheduled at some point in the near future.

If you look in Middle Tennessee, AAA powers like Shelbyville, Cookeville< White County, and others certainly don't have problems playing the best out of AA and even A .

Let me first say that I know absolutely nothing about Oliver Springs.

But a couple of things. Scheduling is not as easy as you might think. OR has 12 games that will go to the district, they play in three tournaments which is six games and play several other good large schools in the Chattanooga and Knoxville area. There really isn't any reason for them to start playing a smaller school. Shelbyville and Cookeville aren't located next to any other big schools, so it makes sense for them to play some smaller ones.

You also have to consider the boys. It might be a good game for the girls but a blowout for the boys.

And let's be honest, OR isn't as good as they've been in the past, but if it takes you double OT to beat Centennial, then OR is going to beat you every time.

Edited by Metroman

Yeah L.Hall was awesome, great, and I could go on. But people thought that this year would be tough and little ole' oz would not win very many games. I think the ladys HAVE PROVEN A LOT OF PEOPLE WRONG. Yeah laura made it A LOT easier to win but you don't have to have her to win. I think Oak Ridge is afraid of loosing to someone over the hill?.?.?.? :( GO Lady CATS ...

Few things about this hypothetically game:

First of all, there is no doubt the gate would be tremendous. Too many common factors involved for there not to be a huge crowd. I understand how scheduling is very tough, however. There should be NO question that it would be a money game.

If you take this year, I do not think Oliver Springs would have anything close to an answer for Keke Stewart. Oak Ridge has had some problems, but with two seniors, one junior and a bunch of young players, that will happen. I respect the OS program and know a lot about it.

They are so athletic, they would be able to run on OS as well. Their pressure, when on, would give the Lady Bobcats a lot of trouble as well.

Dang, talk about two good coaching staffs! Jill Prudden is incredible and makes the best halftime adjustments of any high school coach I have ever seen and trust me folks, I have seen a bevy of high school hoop coaches. I am not just talking about girl's teams either, she is good! Todd Wright...his record speaks for itself. Just look at what this man has done for that program and the statewide respect he has helped bring to the OS community. Oh, don't think he isn't a heckuva X & O man as well!

Todd will be the first to tell you, this year's team has a long way to go. Their schedule hasn't been as tough as in year's past and I think that was done intentionally to get his team some confidence heading into the postseason. That's just smart thinking. Anyway, the game won't happen and best of luck to both programs as the year winds down. I am just thankful that two great programs are so close to one another.