• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is not the best, but it is not the worst! At least after being caught in the NFL, they do more than slap you on the wrist!

825539221[/snapback]

Not really. It's more bark than bite.

I'd rather get caught on the NFL's test than MLB's. It's just a 4-week vacation, and no specifics are reported other than "violated the drug policy". You can just claim it was something minor like drinking Red Bull (see: Peppers, Julius). In the MLB policy, they're going to announce WHAT the player tested positive for. And 10 games for the first offense is pretty serious for MLB. It's about as long a first-offense suspension as baseball gives for anything.

But the bottom line is this...no amount of drug testing will ever catch everybody. The track and field tests are by far the most rigorous, and they don't even begin to catch everybody (see: Jones, Marion).

I like and agree with Stlrcoach's policy. Maybe we should submit it to the higher-ups?

825551022[/snapback]

You know they'll never do the right thing on this issue. The players' union would have a fit! Amazing how these so called "role models" can get around drug policies, but a guy working at Wal-Mart has to get tested anytime they feel like giving him a test.

You know they'll never do the right thing on this issue.  The players' union would have a fit!  Amazing how these so called "role models" can get around drug policies, but a guy working at Wal-Mart has to get tested anytime they feel like giving him a test.

825551498[/snapback]

Don't you think Wal-Mart workers, if they had the power to restrict the amount of testing, would do so?

Most MLB players aren't either.  But drug tests are a hassle, and if you can avoid hassles, don't you try to do it?

825553023[/snapback]

But if it's the only way to force the players into some sort of personal responsibility and integrity, you have to do what's best. I know first hand that the military had a huge problem with drug use until they started testing. I know MLB isn't the military, but there has to be some sort of accountibility. After a few problem children get popped, the others will see that MLB isn't playing around!

But this is all BS talk, because baseball is never going to enforce it or make it tough enough to stop the problem. This is all just PR in my opinion, because they will not bust the stars that are dragging in the fans to the stadiums! The only ones that will be hammered are the mid to lower level players that spend most of their careers switching between AAA ball and the Show.

Edited by stlrcoach

But if it's the only way to force the players into some sort of personal responsibility and integrity, you have to do what's best.  I know first hand that the military had a huge problem with drug use until they started testing.  I know MLB isn't the military, but there has to be some sort of accountibility.  After a few problem children get popped, the others will see that MLB isn't playing around!

But this is all BS talk, because baseball is never going to enforce it or make it tough enough to stop the problem.  This is all just PR in my opinion, because they will not bust the stars that are dragging in the fans to the stadiums!  The only ones that will be hammered are the mid to lower level players that spend most of their careers switching between AAA ball and the Show.

825553038[/snapback]

So True!!!!! thumb

But this is all BS talk, because baseball is never going to enforce it or make it tough enough to stop the problem.  This is all just PR in my opinion, because they will not bust the stars that are dragging in the fans to the stadiums!  The only ones that will be hammered are the mid to lower level players that spend most of their careers switching between AAA ball and the Show.

825553038[/snapback]

Exactly. And unless fans quit going because of the players, they aren't going to change anything.

If they kicked enough players out or decided to go nuclear in a labor battle, the players would start a new league...and the better quality of play would end up winning -- and that would be the players' new league.

Exactly.  And unless fans quit going because of the players, they aren't going to change anything.

If they kicked enough players out or decided to go nuclear in a labor battle, the players would start a new league...and the better quality of play would end up winning -- and that would be the players' new league.

825554024[/snapback]

Still like my idea better,if you are caught shoot them, if caught again bury them.

Still like my idea better,if you are caught shoot them, if caught again bury them.

825554149[/snapback]

Sounds like you, 2priceless, and I are closer to an agreement than anyone else on here! :)

Financial and popularity status doesn't give you a right to get preferential treatment, as far as I'm concerned!

Let the players try and go start their own league. Didn't work in other sports for new leagues, and it won't work for baseball, because their public support isn't very heavy. The last strike and the arrogance of players like Bonds has kept baseball down lately. They need to remember that they don't have very many players like McGuire and Ripkin to save the gave anymore! The majority of them are just spoiled brats like Bonds and Pedro Martinez! :)

Edited by stlrcoach

Sounds like you, 2priceless, and I are closer to an agreement than anyone else on here! :)

Financial and popularity status doesn't give you a right to get preferential treatment, as far as I'm concerned!

Let the players try and go start their own league. Didn't work in other sports for new leagues, and it won't work for baseball, because their public support isn't very heavy.  The last strike and the arrogance of players like Bonds has kept baseball down lately.  They need to remember that they don't have very many players like McGuire and Ripkin to save the gave anymore!  The majority of them are just spoiled brats like Bonds and Pedro Martinez! :)

825554186[/snapback]

Totally agree.