Let the players try and go start their own league. Didn't work in other sports for new leagues, and it won't work for baseball, because their public support isn't very heavy.  The last strike and the arrogance of players like Bonds has kept baseball down lately.  They need to remember that they don't have very many players like McGuire and Ripkin to save the gave anymore!  The majority of them are just spoiled brats like Bonds and Pedro Martinez! :)

825554186[/snapback]

There hasn't been an opposing league start up with the same quality aside from the AFL, original ABA, and the American League. Both of them ended up forcing mergers because the more established league knew they were losing players and fans.

A players' league would have the same basic effect...the only problem is that most of the ballparks are managed by the current MLB teams, so the players would have to get creative in where they played.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oakland
Sounds like you, 2priceless, and I are closer to an agreement than anyone else on here! :)

Financial and popularity status doesn't give you a right to get preferential treatment, as far as I'm concerned!

Let the players try and go start their own league. Didn't work in other sports for new leagues, and it won't work for baseball, because their public support isn't very heavy.  The last strike and the arrogance of players like Bonds has kept baseball down lately.  They need to remember that they don't have very many players like McGuire and Ripkin to save the gave anymore!  The majority of them are just spoiled brats like Bonds and Pedro Martinez! :D

825554186[/snapback]

before you go off calling the majority of mlb players "spoiled brats" talk a look at teams such as the braves or the cardinals in this case. both teams are filled with guys who are the epitome of class and many of whom do a lot of work for their community and even for the disabled/special community( i hate that phrase but its the closest thing i could find)

also consider this, most mlb superstars start from the bottom and work their way up, and many dont make 50,000 a year until they get to the majors. is it their fault that the owners are willing to fork over big amounts of money to have their services? no, and who can blame them, they just want a better life for them and their loved ones. does baseball have its bad apples, yes, just like any other sport. but the all around good guys far far outweigh the bad in baseball

Edited by Oakland

before you go off calling the majority of mlb players "spoiled brats" talk a look at teams such as the braves or the cardinals in this case. both teams are filled with guys who are the epitome of class and many of whom do a lot of work for their community and even for the disabled/special community( i hate that phrase but its the closest thing i could find)

also consider this, most mlb superstars start from the bottom and work their way up, and many dont make 50,000 a year until they get to the majors. is it their fault that the owners are willing to fork over big amounts of money to have their services? no, and who can blame them, they just want a better life for them and their loved ones. does baseball have its bad apples, yes, just like any other sport. but the all around good guys far far outweigh the bad in baseball

825554972[/snapback]

No one said anything about the money they make or for that matter questioned the integrity of all MLB players, but there are a few of us that agree that this steroid stuff is getting old and it needs to be taken out of the game of baseball and if it takes throwing players like Barry Bomds and Jason Giambi out of the league, then so be it, I will not quit watching baseball and I know I will have alot more respect for the game without theses juiced up, ego-maniacs running around the clubhouse with their testostrone level so high that a reporter cant ask a question without one going off like a idiot trying to hurt someone!!!!!!!!

PLEASE READ THIS AND TELL ME YOU DONT AGREE WITH WHAT ME AND MUFFIN AND A FEW OTHERS ARE SAYING!

http://www.geocities.com/bigcory94533/alzado.html

No one said anything about the money they make or for that matter questioned the integrity of all MLB players, but there are a few of us that agree that this steroid stuff is getting old and it needs to be taken out of the game of baseball and if it takes throwing players like Barry Bomds and Jason Giambi out of the league, then so be it, I will not quit watching baseball and I know I will have alot more respect for the game without theses juiced up, ego-maniacs running around the clubhouse with their testostrone level so high that a reporter cant ask a question without one going off like a idiot trying to hurt someone!!!!!!!!

825555898[/snapback]

Bonds is 6-2 and around 240. Which is fairly big for baseball.

Let's try a different team in a different sport:

Victor McClure is 6-4, 310. Arron Sears 6-4, 315. Rob Smith 6-4, 308. Jason Respert 6-3, 305. Cody Douglas 6-4, 325. Albert Toeaina 6-6 350. Cory Anderson 6-3 270. Robert Williams 6-3 245. Parys Haralson 6-2 255. Turk McBride 6-4 260. Jesse Mahelona 6-2 300. Karlton Neal 6-4 260.

Bonds would be an average-size, maybe, linebacker in Knoxville, and he'd be severely undersized on either line. But in no way would he look extraordinarily large -- heck, he isn't any bigger than CJ Leak, and he's a quarterback.

If you're worried about steroid use because people have gained weight, you're focusing on the wrong sport and in the wrong state. Especially after what James Banks did to try to avoid his drug tests.

Guest Oakland

PLEASE READ THIS AND TELL ME YOU DONT AGREE WITH WHAT ME AND MUFFIN AND A FEW OTHERS ARE SAYING!

825555898[/snapback]

there was a post on the last page that essentially said that the majority of baseball players are spoiled brats, which is completely false.

as far as the steroid issue goes, i think the current system in place is a good start and i think will eventually lead to a tougher system on steroids. steroids is not as prevalent as everybody leads it on to be, but the media focuses so much on the negative that its just the select few that are actually taking it that are gaining all the attention. a very slim minority of baseball players take any steroids at all. your the one that always wants proof and concrete numbers, but you cannot prove that bonds has done anything illegal. the man has promoted tough testing all along, why in the world would a used encourage tough testing?

there was a post on the last page that essentially said that the majority of baseball players are spoiled brats, which is completely false.

as far as the steroid issue goes, i think the current system in place is a good start and i think will eventually lead to a tougher system on steroids. steroids is not as prevalent as everybody leads it on to be, but the media focuses so much on the negative that its just the select few that are actually taking it that are gaining all the attention. a very slim minority of baseball players take any steroids at all. your the one that always wants proof and concrete numbers, but you cannot prove that bonds has done anything illegal. the man has promoted tough testing all along,  why in the world would a used encourage tough testing?

825555931[/snapback]

Bonds encourage drug testing? LOL!!!!....... I have seen the man turn test down before, people have give him the opportunity to clear his name in the public eye and he flat out turned down the test! Besides whats he suppose to say when ask about, "no i dont think we need tougher testing because i dont want to get caught" of course he isnt, he is going to try to look like the good guy in the public eye and when it gets time to test him, he will be tipped off in time to get off to pass the test! Listen to what is being said, it is too simply for theses guys to get away with this stuff! Most of the public dont want a "Good Start", most of the public wants this poisen out of the game!

Apparently you havent read this, so once again please take a minute to read this, because it almost seems like you dont care whether theses guys do this or not!!!

Guest Oakland
Bonds encourage drug testing? LOL!!!!....... I have seen the man turn test down before, people have give him the opportunity to clear his name in the public eye and he flat out turned down the test! Besides whats he suppose to say when ask about, "no i dont think we need tougher testing because i dont want to get caught" of course he isnt, he is going to try to look like the good guy in the public eye and when it gets time to test him, he will be tipped off in time to get off to pass the test! Listen to what is being said, it is too simply for theses guys to get away with this stuff! Most of the public dont want a "Good Start", most of the public wants this poisen out of the game!

Apparently you havent read this, so once again please take a minute to read this, because it almost seems like you dont care whether theses guys do this or not!!!

825556065[/snapback]

the man could just choose to ignore the question every time since he has that right. i dont like bonds period, but he just didnt gain 30-40 pounds overnight, he did it with a great conditioning and workout regimen. tons of college players every year gain 25-30 pounds during their first year of college football, so i guess we need to assume they use steroids too?

i know enough about the story about lyle alzado to not ready whatever spin link your trying to get me to read

825556065[/snapback]

We've already been over this. Bonds refused to take an unsanctioned drug test in part because, as a MLBPA member, he's not allowed to take unsanctioned drug tests. Part of the drug-testing rules they have.

the man could just choose to ignore the question every time since he has that right. i dont like bonds period, but he just didnt gain 30-40 pounds overnight, he did it with a great conditioning and workout regimen. tons of college players every year gain 25-30 pounds during their first year of college football, so i guess we need to assume they use steroids too?

i know enough about the story about lyle alzado to not ready whatever spin link your trying to get me to read

825556231[/snapback]

Hey Oakland, you need to check your facts and figures again. Bonds weighed 170 when he was in Pittsburgh. Within 2 years of his move to San Francisco, he weighed just about what he does now. He refuses drug tests for a very good reason...he uses the horse juice, in my opinion. If he didn't, he would gladly take a test to clear himself, but he wants to go on and on about,Barry, Barry, Barry! I've seen him play since he came into the league with the Pirates, and I know how he is. His temper is not a clear sign of him hitting the sauce, because he's always been a jacka**. I've seen that one up close and personal also. Barry is a great ball player, but he will never be as good as he thinks he is! You also said something about most MLB players being good guys. I don't buy that one either. Yes, you were right about the BoSox and the Cards, but those are only two teams. There are great guys on every team, but I believe the bad out-weighs the good. If you are as concerned about the image of sports as I think you are, why don't you back this plan to help baseball clean itself up? It can only help the game. Baseball, by far, has the most SPOILED, yeah I said it, athletes in all of pro sports. If they don't get what they want, when they want it, they go crying to mama.

Hey Oakland, you need to check your facts and figures again.  Bonds weighed 170 when he was in Pittsburgh.  Within 2 years of his move to San Francisco, he weighed just about what he does now.  He refuses drug tests for a very good reason...he uses the horse juice, in my opinion.  If he didn't, he would gladly take a test to clear himself, but he wants to go on and on about,Barry, Barry, Barry!  I've seen him play since he came into the league with the Pirates, and I know how he is.  His temper is not a clear sign of him hitting the sauce, because he's always been a jacka**.  I've seen that one up close and personal also.  Barry is a great ball player, but he will never be as good as he thinks he is!  You also said something about most MLB players being good guys.  I don't buy that one either.  Yes, you were right about the BoSox and the Cards, but those are only two teams.  There are great guys on every team, but I believe the bad out-weighs the good.  If you are as concerned about the image of sports as I think you are, why don't you back this plan to help baseball clean itself up?  It can only help the game.  Baseball, by far, has the most SPOILED, yeah I said it, athletes in all of pro sports.  If they don't get what they want, when they want it, they go crying to mama.

825556608[/snapback]

Bonds was 170 as a rookie maybe. By the end of his Pittsburgh time, he was pushing 200.

He's legally obligated to not take outside drug tests.

But the real reason I'm responding...baseball players are the LEAST spoiled, they just happen to be the most powerful of the players unions. NFL and NBA players don't play in the minors for 2 to 6 years, then play in the big leagues for three more years before they get any real payday.

Despite that, MLB players don't hold out and whine for more in their contracts like the NFL players do.

825556231[/snapback]

Exatly, college players are made hit the weights day in and day out every week before the season starts, but bonds did put on all his weight until he had been in the league for 7-8 years! The guy weighs almost 60 pounds more than he did when he came to SF! If this were rocket science, there may be an argument, but there is pretty much valid proof that Bonds is liked to Balco and Balco is linked to this banned substance, so give me a break, dont be blinded by his celebrity!!!!!

Dont guess O.J. committed murder either huh?

Edited by gotmilk?