MLK @ David Lipscomb 1/18

Mustang maniac

You got people on here saying stuff about how the Smith brothers can contain Mayes and Brock down low ... are they strong enough to do that? I remember seeing them last year and all I saw was 2 fairly skinny, but tall, kids. You can ask Greenbrier (catsbball) about the strength down low of Brock. Sure, Greenbrier definitely has 2 or 3 guys that are really tall, but that doesn't really matter if they don't have the strength to play defense down low. Brock is a workhorse down low, just ask anyone who has played D against him down there ... I have. Mayes is not AS strong , but he definitely is strong and will seal you out down there ...

825525391[/snapback]

You're right in some aspect. Brock and Mayes are definitely strong, good posts(probably the best we've played so far) and they are what hurt us on the scoreboard. But, the guard play and being able to drive and pitch the ball off to a wide open post is what hurt us the most. DL had a great connection between guards and posts and knowing when to shoot the jumper and when to pitch it. I don't remember Brock or Mayes getting the ball on a straight post up alot during the game but they were strong and good at sealing so I now they can get it when the guards are looking for them down low.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well , its all over... MLK let Lipscomb know that they will sit atop 8AA.

Kris Smith had a huge game and led all point scorers, and Clarence Smith definatley did his job handling Brock in the post. With Smith fronting him the whole game, Brock had no chance to grab the ball and work his so call "dominant post play".

This game was a turnover-fest, mostly on the Lipscomb side. Johnny Lee, John Hopson, and James Kaminski were all in foul trouble early and didn't sit, they kept the pursuit alive and took it right to the Mustangs. Pharr and Solomon were dominated by the suficating defense and seemed to inept to ge the ball to the post instead of looking for their jumpers. This caused a ton of steals and easy looks for the Royals.

I was talking with my fellow students before the game and let them know that they picked the right one to come to, because we all thought that this would be a game. However, no one showed up. Not Brock, Mayes, Pharr, Solomon, or the Bomb Squad.

This might as well have been another home beatdown for the Royals.

Martin Luther King 67 David Lipscomb 34

What a blowout.... Oh I hope this is a message to everyone in AA....

THE ROYALS CAME TO PLAY, like it or not they will be a factor come tourny time.

BIG BEN

Edited by BigRoyalBen

It also helped that MLK shot lights out ...

Everyone who knows anything at all about Lipscomb and came to this game knows that Lipscomb did not play well at all. I give credit to MLK for their shooting and extremely quick guards up front. Yea, the guy guarding Brock was really quick. If you paid attention, most of the time Brock got the seal, but Smith was quick enough to get around him before DLs guards could get him the ball. Plus, the pressure MLK was applying to DL didn't help their vision and ability to get it inside.

I think it's safe to say that this game will be a lot closer next time around @ MLK ...

Nothing like hearing a bunch of cocky DL fans talk about how they are gonna beat down someone (in this case MLK) and when it doesn't happen they go into their predetermined excuse ritual. MLK is the much better team, heck they just smacked you down on your home court. No one in this district is anywhere close to MLK this year. Bolivar or any team in the Memphis area is the only team that will play with them this year. I guess the low post game of DL was a lil overrated. MLK is huge also and well coached to say the least. Though he does get on our nerves, you have to give it to Doc, he does a great job. I did see him the other night wearing a black ball cap that said in fancy letters "DOC." He self promotes a lot but he gets the job done.

Nice use of the irony technique: horses - cute.  Close game... everyone says so but you; way to go out on a very unstable, and in fact, totally incorrect limb.  If you could do me a favor: Stand up. Face your computer. Do a 180. Now Walk. Walk. Walk. SIT DOWN! Now you just stay right there, three paces from your keyboard.

825525231[/snapback]

Did I say 20+? Ooops! Keypunch error. I meant 30+. :ph34r:

Oh, and Bombboy, it's 2005. Get a new cheer. That 'walk' thang ain't workin' anymore. Do you even go to any of the games? Looooooozer!

Edited by Cougars2State

HAHA... I love it. It is so nice to get one back after DL beat us on our Homecoming last year.

Thanks to all who posted and support MLK, I hope to see you all in the 'Boro competing for the state title.

However, I am not going to put the cart before the horse. The Royals still have a lot of work to do, we still have Greenbrier twice, Station Camp twice, and Springfeild and DL once more.

Just remember that the season is just a warm up for the real games (The District and Region tournies)

BIG BEN

P.S. GO ROYALS... 67-34... I wouldn't have it any other way.

Did I say 20+?  Ooops!  Keypunch error.  I meant 30+.  :lol:

Oh, and Bombboy, it's 2005.  Get a new cheer.  That 'walk' thang ain't workin' anymore.  Do you even go to any of the games?  Looooooozer!

825526341[/snapback]

Well, I mine as well start by saying I was wrong. Now, in response to your post, I am getting mixed signals... you see I hear all about how it's not cool to go back to the high school games after you've graduated. So yeah, last night was only my second Mustangs game this year. Yeah, and as much as I like the people that were in the DL student section, I was not over there. Rest assured, if the Bomb Squad were there, you would have known it. MLKers (not Cougars2state): If you choose to disagree, I refer you to last year where, if I remember correctly, our student section came to your gym and managed to get into your heads a little too much for your likings. That lead to our team beating you at your Homecoming, which Ben so kindly brought up. After the Mustang win, the Royal faithful realized they had been intelectually dominated and decided to resort to other means of "dominance"... I have about $4.75 in quarters and nickels and some office supplies here if you would like those back after your shenanigans last year.

Solid effort from MLK. Incredible defense, and a little offense to go with it. If you were going to beat us by 33, you could have at least thrown down a dunk or two for a show, that is my only complaint.

Edited by BombSquad