State Champion

takedown technician

IMO the split was because Brentwood Academy beat Riverdale for the state football championship in the top classification. Randy Thomas (former Springfield wrestling & football coach) predicted this would happen back in the 1980's. He felt that when and if the private schools started to win in football and basketball in the top classifications the public schools would band together to kick the private schools out. The wrestling split is just a by product of the split for football reasons. Coach Thomas not only was a great coach & teacher but he also had 20/20 vision for the future.

Edited by cbg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said building a program doesn't take time. But it is hard to build programs when wrestlers can leave one program and to attend a better student-athletic school. Correct? No boosters will reach deep in their pockets until some reults are produced on the mat, therefore 2 divisions could help our sport grow. Results that may not happen, occur with the split in place. Let me ask you a question again... top ten coaching staffs in TN? ( I apologize to all, this is quick and from the hip I am sure I will leave a program or two out!) In random order. Bradley,McCallie, Baylor, Father Ryan, MBA, Soddy, Clarksville, Franklin, Cleveland, Christian Brothers. Sounds fair enough to me. Now its math time! How many d2 wrestling schools are there? 16? Roughly 33% of the d2 scholls have the best coaching staff in the state. Now moving on d1 schools roughly 130? 04% of the d1 schools have the State's best coaching staff. Is this a coincidence? The advantages that d2 schools can offer is overwhelming. Also If I am in the minority, Than why do only d2 supporters complain about the split?

Two last things Title IX is Ludicrous. And maybe in four years we'll see Kerry in Office! haha

IMO the split was because Brentwood Academy beat Riverdale for the state football championship in the top classification.  Randy Thomas (former Springfield wrestling & football coach) predicted this would happen back in the 1980's.  He felt that when and if the private schools started to win in football and basketball in the top classifications the public schools would band together to kick the private schools out.  The wrestling split is just a by product of the split for football reasons.  Coach Thomas not only was a great coach & teacher but he also had 20/20 vision for the future.

825536649[/snapback]

I thought it was becuase of illegal recruiting on BA's part. However back when McCallie was in touble for something nothing really cam about. Seems football is still more important than wrestling b/c of $.

Never said building a program doesn't take time.  But it is hard to build programs when wrestlers can leave one program and to attend a better student-athletic school. Correct? No boosters will reach deep in their pockets until some reults are produced on the mat, therefore 2 divisions could help our sport grow. Results that may not happen, occur with the split in place. Let me ask you a question again... top ten coaching staffs in TN? ( I apologize to all, this is quick and from the hip I am sure I will leave a program or two out!) In random order. Bradley,McCallie, Baylor, Father Ryan, MBA, Soddy, Clarksville, Franklin, Cleveland, Christian Brothers. Sounds fair enough to me. Now its math time! How many d2 wrestling schools are there? 16? Roughly 33% of the d2 scholls have the best coaching staff in the state. Now moving on d1 schools roughly 130? 04% of the d1 schools have the State's best coaching staff. Is this a coincidence? The advantages that d2 schools can offer is overwhelming. Also If I am in the minority, Than why do only d2 supporters complain about the split?

Two last things Title IX is Ludicrous. And maybe in four years we'll see Kerry in Office! haha

825536735[/snapback]

some of your premise must be explained. When you say best coaching staffs, how do you define best? It is the most current success of the programs or the number of championships or the ability of the coach to teach the sport of wrestling. I think at least two of the schools you listed have new coaches at the helm. So, is it the coach or is it the program? Hmmm.

I think that both Bradley and Franklin have fairly new head coaches.

825536767[/snapback]

Franklin has the same head coach as last year. Bradley does have a new head coach but for now is still living in the house that Logsdon built. if they start to faulter i will take them out of my top ten. Once again I did say I was shooting form the hip.

Franklin has the same head coach as last year. Bradley does have a new head coach but for now is still living in the house that Logsdon built. if they start to faulter i will take them out of my top ten. Once again I did say I was shooting form the hip.

825536791[/snapback]

hey, i was not trying to knock the chip off your shoulder pal. Besides, I said fairly recently, meaning not just this particular year.

my comment was in regards to how you choose best coaches, now it is best programs, which I can agree with too. But that has more to do with building a system to support your high school team.

Gable - if your premis is that the school with the best coaches will win, then I think that your example of D2 schools having the best coaching staff ratio proves you wrong. Take McCallie for example. They currently have 2 former college coaches on staff (Herring - Citidale, Connell - Middle Tn St) and 5 coaches who are former NCAA wrestlers (Connell, Newman, Herring, Levitt, new fellow who's name escapes me) and Newman has experience as a head HS coach in North GA. They even have a world freestyle champion on staff yet since they were put on probation in the early 90's, they haven't won a traditional state championship. Based on your premis, they should win the title every year. Why aren't they the Great Bridge of the south?

...they were put on probation in the early 90's, they haven't won a traditional state championship.  Based on your premis, they should win the title every year.  Why aren't they the Great Bridge of the south?

825537735[/snapback]

Let go of it, dude!! Just let go. Maybe you should have chosen Jim Morgan in the first place instead of Gordon? That was your choice and I believe you probably made a mistake for yourself, not your boy. They're both great coaches, you just can't let go...??? Deep down inside, you know that both Jim and Gordon are great coaches and very good men, so just let go of it!!!

As far as winning...

It's a combination of tradition, coaching, parental & school support and facilities that makes the difference. You appear to be implying that McCallie is failing in some way. Are you forgetting that Gordon is one of only two coaches (Jordan- FRanklin & Clarksville) to win state championships at two schools multiple times and 30 years apart (Hixson and McCallie, two of his teams may have been the toughest, most dominate, of all time '73 and '93- which may have kept one of Bradley's strongest teams from really strutting their stuff that year), was this only luck?

Relax, and bury the hatchet. You've sacrificed too much and contributed too much to our great sport to let this negative energy be a major part of your heritage.

Dave

Some facts you may have also forgotten... Under Coach Connell's leadership, McCallie wrestlers have won 52 state titles - more than any other school in Tennessee. McCallie teams have won 8 championships, 13 state titles(latest being in 2003, and 5 dual titles. Twice Coach Connell has been named the Scrappy Moore Coach of the Year. Since 1981 he has served as the video technician for the USA Wrestling Team at World and Olympic level competition, and since 1995 for the NWCA at the NCAA's + he just won a world championship in a tourment this past summer himself. What credibility does this add?

Edited by Sommers

"Gable - if your premis is that the school with the best coaches will win..."

Vol,

Did I ever say that was my premis? NO I did not. The team's with the best coaches will be successful, yes I did say that. My point was that many d2 schools have the money to hire staff,....like say with 5 collegiate wrestlers, where many d1 schools don't have that. How can noone see that as an advantage? I am not trying to change anyone's mind here. Everyone has their own opinion. But I refuse to constantly defend my own opinion and have people tell me it's not credible. Ref, I realize that Kerry lost this go 'round (I am trying to find something to get the bumper sticker off!) But you have to realize that Russia did split up. It's time to deal with it and move on.

Ref, I realize that Kerry lost this go 'round (I am trying to find something to get the bumper sticker off!) But you have to realize that Russia did split up. It's time to deal with it and move on.

825537789[/snapback]

My bad, I read a little deeper and noticed that this little bit of poked "fun" just got me off on another soap box. I see where you are probably with the majority in our sport.

I still left the applicable points, perhaps...

I bet you that if a poll was taken, most "real wrestlers" are republicans, or at least conservative Democrats.

I'm really torn about what is right as far as more splits in TN wrestling due to the liberal thinking that everyone should be winners so no one's feelings are hurt. Now that makes my GUT hurt.

Again, RMC... Is it good for Georgia? Just two divisions? I know Collins Hill is top as far as duals and probably traditional this year as well, but setting this aside, is this split growing good overall?

soms

Edited by Sommers