Best Midstate Rivalries

itzme

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheatham Co. vs Sycamore

825626395[/snapback]

I don't guess you can throw Harpeth in there since it's a AA school in football and relegated to the ABC division starting next year. ;) Harpeth/Cheatham gets pretty nasty as evidenced by this years basketball games. Harpeth/Sycamore is a good one too. These 3 county schools start playing one another in basketball in 4th grade and it escalates every year. I'm hoping Harpeth/Fairview will become a good rivalry game with the new region.

Upperman Bees vs Monterey Wildcats-always heated-In County bragging rights

Upperman Bees vs. Smith Co. Owls-who wouldn't want to beat their past coach

Both of these games bring in large crowds with heated emotions from both sides

825623455[/snapback]

Jimmy Maynord coached at Upperman from 1995-1998. Alot of players in the past years have wanted to beat him just to prove a point. There is a little bit of unfinished business for them. Coach Maynord also took with him Coach Tackett and his son to play at Smith Co. There is always going to be that wanna win for bragging rights to this scenario. Just good ole trash talking spirit!!! I hope this answers your question. The win for Upperman is a pride thing and will probable continue for years as it has. The boys playing now remember Coach Maynord from watching him from the sidelines as Junior high players and younger.

• 2 weeks later...
LA vs Portland........or LA vs. York always heated and the Portland games r always great games just like last years OT win for Livingston! one of the greatest games...in LA histroy

825635823[/snapback]

I think years ago LA and Smith County were big rivalries. I think my father played them his senior year, and if I am not mistaken that was the only game they lost back then. I think it lost some of it's meaning until the last couple of years. LA only losing two games all year including a quarterfinal loss and both losses were to Smith County. To add a little spice to the story, Eldridge coached at Smith and Maynord from LA now coaches at Smith.