Beech @ Lipscomb

GoBama

Wilson Central[/url] Dogg' date='Jan 22 2005 - 10:34 PM']Why would a coach tell his team that straight up that they have no shot to win?  At home on homecoming nothing to lose against a team that is probably going to go into the game overconfident as it is and 16 points is not like it was a pure domination.  The school scheduled to play Beech in the first place, now the question is why?

If he has that much lack of faith in his team maybe he can start coaching his team to single digit victories and defeats every game.

825532312[/snapback]

On the contrary, he told his players straight up that he was willing to take the abuse of fans who feel the way you do in order to give his players a chance to win and he came within a shot or so of doing it. I think that takes more courage and should gain the respect of his players, not the opposite.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, all of that being said:

If I had a choice tonight of seeing a 16-13 game or seeing Austin East beat Fulton 80-78 then I'm going with the latter. But, I am all for a coach giving his team the best chance to win regardless of whether that is the best entertainment for the crowd.

Ask me sometime whether I would rather watch a slam dunker extraordinaire or a pure shooter who can hit from anywhere on the floor. :(

I hate the Slowdown game with a passion. However, it is a reasonable strategy if

you can keep the game close. BA has been subject to the slowdown twice this

year and both games resulted in 20 point plus wins for BA. Once the game

differential exceeds 10, then the slowdown no longer becomes reasonable.

At that point, you're probably using the slowdown just to avoid a blowout.

In this case (and based on the close score), Coach Pickens probably took

a good gamble.

I was leaving the Freed/Trevecca game when I heard the score was 6-2 at the half. I loved it. We got there midway through the third, so we did not get to see all of the game. However, I greatly enjoyed myself, mainly because everyone else there was mad about the style of play. This is simply another case of Lipscomb pulling out the smart coaching move. DL found out quickly that if they wanted to stall, Beech would let them. DL has athletes, but they also have a great coaching staff. In this case, the Stangs decided to go for the win with the coaching move. However, don't think this does not speak well for the players... this strategy highlights the discipline of the team. Players at DL don't care about the personal stats, they go for the win. Case and point tonight. Congrats to Beech on the win, and congrats to the Mustangs for giving people something to talk about.

Edited by BombSquad

Lipscomb lost by 16 the first time they played. This time they came within a missed free throw of having the lead with 90 seconds to go. Sounds like a good stratgegy to me. I like the shot clock but not for high school.

825532266[/snapback]

I completely agree with you coacht. I love that strategy. Whatever gives your team the best chance to win. All that matters is the win or loss. Who cares if the fans like it or not. If you win your a great strategist, if you lose everyone wants to critisize. Back in 99 Lipscomb played Ridgeway in the state semifinals. Ridgeway held the ball the whole 3rd quarter. Lipscomb was up at the half and Ridgeway had no answer for Lipscombs offense. Ridgeway started the 3rd and took a 2-3 point lead. They then held the ball. It was a great strategy for them and who would have thought that it was Ridgeway holding and not Lipscomb. Ridgeway went on to win state that year. I know its not the most entertaining thing to watch but if it gives you a chance I'm all for it.

Congrats to Pickens on playing this style. He knew that he would have to hear it from the fans, but he put his team in the best position to win the game. I kind of wish I had seen a game like that last year at DLHS. With a good crowd, you could have some fun during the 4 corners offense.

I hate games likes that 16 to 13 but I also hate to lose. Anytime you can control the game and have a chance to win at the end that's great. What kind of message does that send to the kids? I think it tells them you are competitive and you want to win.That you don't care what parents or the crowd thinks. My hat is off to the Lipscomb coach for at least giving his kids a chance to win. NO SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL. Look what it has done to the college and pros game.