East TN AA Top Ten -- 1/22/05

chill

These rankings are based on Coacht's Strength and Success Formula. These are for East TN only......

1) Fulton

2) McMinn Central

3) Austin East

4) Happy Valley

5) Unicoi County

6) Howard

7) Sequoyah

8) Alcoa

9) Cumberland Gap

10) Anderson County

I think Fulton is by far the best team in the East. MC is solid, but I believe Austin East might be better. Their losses are against great competition(Greeneville, Bradley Central, Union City, and nationally ranked Poplar Bluff). Happy Valley and Unicoi are having great seasons, but AA teams in Upper East TN are usually not as competitive as Knox and Chatt area AA's. The only Upper East team to beat a Knox area team in the substates in recent years is Elizabethton with ACC-sized Vince Redd. This could be the year a Happy Valley or Unicoi take the leap. Howard, Sequoyah, CG, and Alcoa all have great athletes, while AC is a solid shooting team.......I think Arts & Sciences, Sullivan Central, and a couple of teams from 2AA are as good as # 4-10........

• 5 weeks later...
It is kind of funny to see Cumberland Gap in the top 10 when they finished with a 5 sede for the district tourney.

825577090[/snapback]

Cumberland Gap had the 2nd best overall record behind #1 seed South Greene, and ahead of #2 seed Chuckey-Doak. The Panthers were 19-10, now 20-10.

They were in a 3-way tie for 3rd in district at 10-6. They drew numbers earlier in the year as a tie breaker, and Cumberland Gap simply drew the worst number.

Every team in D2AA had at least 4 district losses, and all except West Greene had at least 4 district wins. Call it parity, or call it madness.

Unicoi should be ranked above Happy Valley!  UC beat them at home, but they did beat us at home.  Unicoi has the better and they have played almost the same teams!

825579833[/snapback]

Unicoi may have a better record, but they split with Valley and got swept by Central. HV split with Central. I think the ranking is fair.