south doyle v. maryville

carolina232

[quote=ruber34,Feb 8 2005 - 10:12 PM]

what happened tonight?

825557927[/snapback]

Maryville by 17. Maryville had a great defensive game. Johnson scored the first 7 and was basically shut down after that. Unfortunately for SD he didn't get a lot of help. Paul Fortenberry and Joey Koontz had great games shooting the ball and on defense. Curtis Tate was out with an illness so Maryville played most of the bench.

Was nice to see SD's students in large numbers supporting their team at an away game. They were very vocal and entertaining until the profanity became a little too much. Unfortunatly a fight broke out in the parking lot after the game. Not sure of the circumstances that started it but near the end of the game the mood of the SD fans became a little too harsh. I saw one SD student being led away by the police as he yelled out the F-bomb several times. Having experience with some of the SD parents the last three years in the JV, freshmen, and 8th grade games I guess I shouldn't of been surprised that the kids were acting that way.

I'm also sure, though I didn't see it, some Maryville students were not behaving very well either.

Great to see the students support their team so well but the thug factor needs to be eliminated.

No doubt SD is struggling. Seemed to have lost their confidence. Hope they can turn it around...

Strong words about SD parents. Don't think you should impugn the entire group based upon your perception of a few. That's comparable to me saying that Maryville students are cheating snobs. I don't believe it even though that has been my experience with a few of the parents.

[

Strong words about SD parents. Don't think you should impugn the entire group based upon your perception of a few. That's comparable to me saying that Maryville students are cheating snobs. I don't believe it even though that has been my experience with a few of the parents.

825558657[/snapback]

Please note that I did say "some"of the parents. I agree...not all should be impugn but.....my experience with them have been that a significant portion, at least at the games I attended, were exhibiting some embarrassing behavior.

Not saying Maryville fans are saints, but I have always thought the SD parents were the most ardent abusers of common and the unspoken rules of sportmanship and respect for other schools. I have experienced and I have been around many fan bases in the last 20 years so I have a good pool to compare by.

On a side note they only exceed the WB parents by a smidgeon.

hahahah thats why your maryville boy got layed out like a little wuss. its okay.... we cant seem to come through when we play maryville but ive seen what this team will do. We'll get another shot at them in district and itll be all on the line then. We will come in full force to every game near or far. so hopefully the other crowds can handle the TRIBE

Ok, I was at the game and in the parking lot. One cheap shot not sure if it landed. Police all around, all students left SD and Maryville. No arrests, nothing more than just a lot of talk. Now for the game. MAryville's bench strength along with poor shooting from SD was the difference. Teams are not that far apart. Maryville played with out starter Curtis Tate. Maryville playing more as a team each game roles around. Would not want to face them. As for fans inside the gym SD was awsome. Maryville student section looked like they were asleep. And if anybody is listening out there tell Thompson to spend some money to fix the sound system. They have better systems in single A schools. It is embarssing.

As far as the game goes, neither team had much going. When the score is 29-20 at the half then neither team is playing well. Maryville had a great defensive game plan knowing that S-D doesn't have good ball handlers. Whenever Logan Johnson had the ball he was doubled and tripled team. Unfortunately S-D couldn't get any help on offense. They had opportunities but couldn't find a way to get it going. Like posted before, the teams are pretty close in talent but coaching and execution put Maryville over the top. No one shot well for either team.