signing Sarah Riddle

buick

You folks that think Sarah Riddle can play in the SEC are in a dream world.  She does not have any where near the athletic ability to play at that level.  For that matter I don't think Alex Fuller will ever do much at UT either and she is much more athletic than Sarah Riddle.  Riddle is at best a mid-major role player and that is being optimistic.

825573291[/snapback]

I heard that Providence in talking to Riddle about playing for them next year. This is a team in the same conference as Connecticut and Rutgers, two teams that easily beat UT this year. So someone thinks that Riddle has the makings of a high level division one player even if you don't. Good thing for Riddle that you don't hand out scholarships.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that Providence in talking to Riddle about playing for them next year. This is a team in the same conference as Connecticut and Rutgers, two teams that easily beat UT this year. So someone thinks that Riddle has the makings of a high level division one player even if you don't. Good thing for Riddle that you don't hand out scholarships.

825574949[/snapback]

UT beat UConn this year.

Got some stats that may change your mind. Riddle has averaged 12 points per game for the entire season along with 8 rebounds and 4 blocks while playing an average of 25 minutes per game. Along with this she has an average of 3 steals per game and 2 assists per game. This is for the entire season. In the first half of the season her averages were 8 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks with 23 minutes per game. In the second half of the season she has 14 points, 10 rebounds and 5 blocks per game with an average of 27 minutes. She is definitely improving as the year goes on. As she did not play any of her junior year, nor half of her sophomore year, I would consider her improvement  outstanding.

If you factor in the adjustments all of the 7-AAA teams surely made from their first game to their second game against Oakland her improvement is even more outstanding.

Finally, if you know anything about Jennifer Grandstaff's style of coaching, when she gets her squad up by twenty points or more the game is no longer a game but a controlled practice. She is rotating in the bench to get them time playing with the starters, and if she leaves the starters in she has them running new or different plays than what they were running in the first 2 quarters. This will reduce the number of touches any of her starters get, lowering their stats, but it sure produces a balanced team.

Flem, as far as your comments, the only SEC post player I can think of the Riddle played against was Alex Fuller from Shelbyville who is now with UT. I saw her go up against Riddle in AAU. Fuller played her for a little over three minute, got blocked twice,scored on once, and out rebounded. After three minutes Insell took Fuller out of the game and she never came back in while Riddle was on the floor.

Personally I think Riddle would be good off the bench as a freshman for 2 to 4 minutes a game. If she worked hard for her coach by the end of her freshman year she might get up to 8 to 10 minutes. I agree with whoever said it, if she gets into a good programs and gets developed, she could be starting by her Sophomore year. From what I hear and see she has a complete package; good grades, good study habits, good family and no "baggage". Put that together with a 6'5" size and she could definitely play for any SEC team.  Even if you think she is a little weak, how many 6'5" girls are there around? If I was getting creamed by the tall girl at LSU. I would be looking for someone to match up with her come next year.

825572910[/snapback]

I've coached both high school and college girls basketball and I have to agree with five. If Riddle is putting up these type of stats on a well balanced team she is definitely worth a look. When recruiting, I had no problem finding 6 foot athletic girls who could play, what I couldn't find was the 6'5" girl who wasn't overweight, so slow she could only play one end of the court, or such a bad student that she wasn't eligible half of the time. You give me a freshman of Riddle's skill for three months and I'll get her up and down the floor, make her strong enough to compete, and teach her the system, then I would bring her off the bench for 2 minutes at a time to rest my starter. What I cannot do is make her taller or make her smarter. The bottom line is, when I have her on the floor the other team has to contend with a player that has a presence that is 8' high by 3'wide. I don't care how high your 6'2" atheltic girl can jump, one shot fake that gets her off her feet and she becomes 6'2" when she lands back on the floor. As for the SEC, I hope they continue to overlook players like Riddle, it gives my old school a chance at a good player that will become great.

I've coached both high school and college girls basketball and I have to agree with five. If Riddle is putting up these type of stats on a well balanced team she is definitely worth a look. When recruiting, I had no problem finding 6 foot athletic girls who could play, what I couldn't find was the 6'5" girl who wasn't overweight, so slow she could only play one end of the court, or such a bad student that she wasn't eligible half of the time. You give me a freshman  of Riddle's skill for three months and I'll get her up and down the floor, make her strong enough to compete, and teach her the system, then I would bring her off the bench for 2 minutes at a time to rest my starter. What I cannot do is make her taller or make her smarter. The bottom line is, when I have her on the floor the other team has to contend with a player that has a presence that is 8' high by 3'wide. I don't care how high your 6'2" atheltic girl can jump, one shot fake that gets her off her feet and she becomes 6'2" when she lands back on the floor. As for the SEC, I hope they continue to overlook players like Riddle, it gives my old school a chance at a good player that will become great.

825576706[/snapback]

excellent post. you dont have many true post players that are well-rounded anymore. sarah hasnt even come close to hitting her potential with the injuries she sustained her sophmore and junior seasons holding her back. she averaging around 16 points a game the last 8 games, on a team like girlbball said, is very stout at all positions

• 2 weeks later...
FIVE!!!    LET ME THINK!!!!!!!

NOPE DIDN'T CHANGE MY MIND.

825573666[/snapback]

After watching Riddle play in the regionals where she shut down Riverdale, held Shelbyville's Jaryl(?) to six points and completely dominated Cumberland County, I think that she could play for any program anywhere in the US. the ony ones who slowed he down in her last two games were the refs with some really poor calls.

• 2 months later...