District 7 AAA Tournament

timbdp

Not sure how a "big" win over Lebanon is making a statement.  Nearly every team that has faced these girls this year has had a "big" win.  As stated earlier, this is a very small, young team with 6 of the 7 being fresh/soph.  It has been a very trying year for them and I commend them for going out each night and giving their best.  No need for other teams to "slap them in the face" and attempt to make a mockery of them.  Good luck to these ladies next year thumb

825579331[/snapback]

alot of people thought this was going to be a repeat of the last time these 2 teams played, with lebanon making it a close game. Oakland did most of their damage before the half, dont see how that is slapping lebanon in the face. Lebanon couldnt even stop Oakland's reserves(which were in for essentially the whole 2nd half) Your not gonna tell girls to let up, especially the reserves, who give just as much effort during practice as the starters. MJ beat lebanon by 50, but i dont see anybody accusing them of running it up

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mj didn't press/play starters for even 2 whole periods. And yes, MJ has been accused plenty of running score up. You said yourself Oakland wanted to "make a statement with a big win over a Lebanon team". Well they did, just not sure if it was the statement they were trying to make. Anyway, you have your opinion...the rest of us have ours.

Mj didn't press/play starters for even 2 whole periods.  And yes, MJ has been accused plenty of running score up.  You said yourself Oakland wanted  to "make a statement with a big win over a Lebanon team".  Well they did, just not sure if it was the statement they were trying to make.  Anyway, you have your opinion...the rest of us have ours.

825579594[/snapback]

i said i saw both sides of the argument and was presenting it in my post as such. even in a blowout, you want your starters to at least play one good half. now had Oakland kept most of their starters in deep into the 3rd/4th that would one thing, but Oakland didnt press in the 2nd half and pretty much rotated a bunch of their reserves. regardless, i want to say i admire for lebanon for playing hard and not giving up. they knew that they were not going to win, but played hard anyways. i hope their coach can build that program back up, lebanon always has had a classy program

I guess Oakland just can not get any respect. How can you be mad because Oakland beat Lebanon by 50 with the starters sitting out in the second half? The second and third string practice just as hard as the starters do, so when they do get the opportunity to play why not let them try to the best of their abilities. Let the second and third string have fun and stop complaining. As far as the bathrooms being dirty, the school is probably older than half of the parents sitting in the stands. For a school that old I think that the bathrooms are more than adequate to use. And programs are nice but do you really need them? These are the same teams that you have been playing all year, and if you can't recognize any of the players by now just give it up. And how can you blame Oakland for the attendance in the stands? You act like they decide how many people are going to come to the game. If people don't want to come then they won't come. It's that simple. The point is stop complaining, and watch basketball like the rest of us came here to do.

I guess Oakland just can not get any respect.  How can you be mad because Oakland beat Lebanon by 50 with the starters sitting out in the second half?  The second and third string practice just as hard as the starters do, so when they do get the opportunity to play why not let them try to the best of their abilities.  Let the second and third string have fun and stop complaining.  As far as the bathrooms being dirty, the school is probably older than half of the parents sitting in the stands.  For a school that old I think that the bathrooms are more than adequate to use.  And programs are nice but do you really need them?  These are the same teams that you have been playing all year, and if you can't recognize any of the players by now just give it up.  And how can you blame Oakland for the attendance in the stands?  You act like they decide how many people are going to come to the game.  If people don't want to come then they won't come.  It's that simple.  The point is stop complaining, and watch basketball like the rest of us came here to do.

825581943[/snapback]

thank you thank you thank you. fans should enjoy this time of the year instead of complaining

It's about time that the District 7AAA changes the district tournaments to a "neutral" site.  After all, 7A and 7AA does this.  The reasons are:

1.  Games would be more fair, No home court advantage.

2.  The facility at Oakland is pathetic, poor bathrooms, no district programs, etc., and low attendance.  Upper Cumberland teams (like Sparta last year) knows how to hosts a district.  Nice programs and good facilities.

3.  How will teams fare when Lebanon host the tournament?  No one likes that small gym.  Why not pick a good location, like Tennessee Tech gym?  This not will only bring in better crowds, but more money to TSSAA and a "neutral" court.  The crowds in and around the Murfreesboro girls program are mostly a few parents, and that is it.

It is time for a change, TSSAA wake up and change these venues for the districts.

825579012[/snapback]

Neutral courts stink! Letting each school have a chance to host on a rotating basis is much more fun. Each school takes alot of pride in putting on a good tournament. Also, I don't think the TSSAA gets much, if any, money off of the district tournaments, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I think Oakland's facilities are fine. Just like Lebanon's are, and Warren Co.'s will be, and White Co.'s were last year...so on and so forth. You can't fault a school for being older than others. The definition of "neutral" is "not favoring one side or the other." How can playing at Tech be neutral for teams like Cookeville and White Co. It's not, so that would not be a neutral site. By rotating the tournament everyone gets an opportunity to host, and so far everyone has done well in the recent years.

Lebanon couldnt even stop Oakland's reserves(which were in for essentially the whole 2nd half)

That's odd, because one of her senior starters left the floor when the clock hit 1:55 in the fourth quarter. Plus, I doubt the Devilettes (who finished with 5 eligible players) would have had the energy to stop a junior pro team after being pomelled in the first half. And what did Oakland have to prove by beating Lebanon by that margin? They had already proven throughout their season they were good. What goes around comes around.

It has been a very trying year for them and I commend them for going out each night and giving their best

I agree 100%. Underdogs every night would make most people close up shop and go home. They played each night like they were supposed to be in the ballgames. Work hard ladies, I firmly believe it will pay off in the future.

Oh, and by the way, the only reason MJ had two starters on the floor in the second half is because it was senior night, and I am sure you could guess who those two were. And Fryer took them out with 6 minutes to go in the third quarter.

I guess Oakland just can not get any respect.  How can you be mad because Oakland beat Lebanon by 50 with the starters sitting out in the second half? 

825581943[/snapback]

I have to admit, I took great enjoyment out of watching Riverdale beat Oakland girls last night. As I said earlier, I lost all respect for the Oakland girls because of the way they chose to destroy and embarrass a young Lebanon team on Monday. It was sweet to watch them lose (even sweeter losing at home.)

Is it me or is there a major dropoff from the #1 ranked Mt. Juliet Lady Bears and the rest of the world....at least in these parts. I've seen alot of basketball this year, albiet locally, and I have yet to see a team that can stay with MJ, although they have a tough game tonight with Wilson Central that could change my mind. Being a 7AAA guy I thought, despite the earlier pummeling the Bearettes gave Oakland, that the Lady Patriots may be able to play with them. Now I not only don't believe that, but to take it a step further, I have to hope they never get the chance. I hope they get taken out real quick in the regions.

thank you thank you thank you. fans should enjoy this time of the year instead of complaining

825582069[/snapback]

It easy to say that when everything is going your way.......

Edited by dawbsitw

;)

It's about time that the District 7AAA changes the district tournaments to a "neutral" site.  After all, 7A and 7AA does this.  The reasons are:

1.  Games would be more fair, No home court advantage.

2.  The facility at Oakland is pathetic, poor bathrooms, no district programs, etc., and low attendance.  Upper Cumberland teams (like Sparta last year) knows how to hosts a district.  Nice programs and good facilities.

3.  How will teams fare when Lebanon host the tournament?  No one likes that small gym.  Why not pick a good location, like Tennessee Tech gym?  This not will only bring in better crowds, but more money to TSSAA and a "neutral" court.  The crowds in and around the Murfreesboro girls program are mostly a few parents, and that is it.

It is time for a change, TSSAA wake up and change these venues for the districts.

825579012[/snapback]

:o I beg your pardon about Oakland's facilities.... They are a-okay.... and I'm from White Co., but I have been in many, many, Tenn. and Georgia Gyms and Oakland's is by far NOT pathetic compared to some, a little older maybe but certainly NOT pathetic! Sounds to me like sOOmOne ;) is just taking Pottie Shots after a bad lost or something,maybe you should move to Crossville! :huh:

I have to admit, I took great enjoyment out of watching Riverdale beat Oakland girls last night. As I said earlier, I lost all respect for the Oakland girls because of the way they chose to destroy and embarrass a young Lebanon team on Monday. It was sweet to watch them lose (even sweeter losing at home.)

As a fan of basketball in general, I hate to see any team lose by a large margin and wish that every game could be competitive. Also, I was coached to play as if the score is 0 - 0 and compete every second you are on the floor. When you compete in any sport you play to your highest level and you do not feel sympathy for you opponent because they are young, small, or unskilled (unless someone gets hurt of course). So how do you still fault the Oakland girls for playing their best? There is not a certain amount of points that you can beat a team by and make everyone happy. In the girls' minds I'm sure that their intentions were not to embarrass but play their hearts out. If you're going to be mad at someone the only person you can be mad at is the coach. There are a million and one reasons I can give you of why the score was that high in the Lebanon - Oakland game, but none of them will make any one who has decided to hate the Oakland organization happy. Besides the losses that Lebanon takes this year will do one of two things: 1. Make them better players for next year 2. Make them give up. And I do hope that they come back next year as better players and use this season's memory as their reason for practicing and becoming better players. After all you learn a lot more from a loss than you do from winning. This season will just determine what kind of players lebanon decides to be, those that rise to a challenge or those that give up in the face of adversity. eh