District 7 AAA Tournament

timbdp

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what Oakland and their coach got out of running up the score on Lebanon. Everybody knows Lebanon is down (only 7 players on the whole team, 3 freshmen, 3 sophomores) and running up the score doesn't help either team.

With Oakland up 40 late in the 2nd quarter, they were still pressing. I would like to know, before the coach can try and defend it, what could your team possibly gain from humiliating your opponent in such a manner?

My first thought is to say, "I just hope someone does the same thing to you in the very near future." But that would be doing the same thing to Oakland's young ladies as they did to the Devilettes, and the blame falls squarely on the coach, not the players.

I couldn't want a team to lose any more than I want Oakland to lose. I have always respected their program, but not anymore. They disgust me.

Edited by dawbsitw

It's about time that the District 7AAA changes the district tournaments to a "neutral" site. After all, 7A and 7AA does this. The reasons are:

1. Games would be more fair, No home court advantage.

2. The facility at Oakland is pathetic, poor bathrooms, no district programs, etc., and low attendance. Upper Cumberland teams (like Sparta last year) knows how to hosts a district. Nice programs and good facilities.

3. How will teams fare when Lebanon host the tournament? No one likes that small gym. Why not pick a good location, like Tennessee Tech gym? This not will only bring in better crowds, but more money to TSSAA and a "neutral" court. The crowds in and around the Murfreesboro girls program are mostly a few parents, and that is it.

It is time for a change, TSSAA wake up and change these venues for the districts.

It's about time that the District 7AAA changes the district tournaments to a "neutral" site. 

Why not pick a good location, like Tennessee Tech gym?

825579012[/snapback]

How is Tennessee Tech a "neutral" site? Just because Cookeville does not play there doesn't mean it is "neutral". Short of going to Nashville, where even there some fans have much shorter distances to travel than others, the only fair way is to rotate it. As much as I dread traveling to McMinnville next year, it is only fair.

What's wrong with Lebanon's gym? It has a great basketball atmosphere. I prefer it to any gym in the district. White Co.'s gym would be second. It, like Lebanon, is a little older with some distinction to it.

I don't understand what Oakland and their coach got out of running up the score on Lebanon.  Everybody knows Lebanon is down (only 7 players on the whole team, 3 freshmen, 3 sophomores) and running up the score doesn't help either team. 

With Oakland up 40 late in the 2nd quarter, they were still pressing.  I would like to know, before the coach can try and defend it, what could your team possibly gain from humiliating your opponent in such a manner?

My first thought is to say, "I just hope someone does the same thing to you in the very near future."  But that would be doing the same thing to Oakland's young ladies as they did to the Devilettes, and the blame falls squarely on the coach, not the players. 

I couldn't want a team to lose any more than I want Oakland to lose.  I have always respected their program, but not anymore.  They disgust me.

825578782[/snapback]

It's about time that the District 7AAA changes the district tournaments to a "neutral" site.  After all, 7A and 7AA does this.  The reasons are:

1.  Games would be more fair, No home court advantage.

2.  The facility at Oakland is pathetic, poor bathrooms, no district programs, etc., and low attendance.  Upper Cumberland teams (like Sparta last year) knows how to hosts a district.  Nice programs and good facilities.

3.  How will teams fare when Lebanon host the tournament?  No one likes that small gym.  Why not pick a good location, like Tennessee Tech gym?  This not will only bring in better crowds, but more money to TSSAA and a "neutral" court.  The crowds in and around the Murfreesboro girls program are mostly a few parents, and that is it.

It is time for a change, TSSAA wake up and change these venues for the districts.

825579012[/snapback]

How is Tennessee Tech a "neutral" site?  Just because Cookeville does not play there doesn't mean it is "neutral".  Short of going to Nashville, where even there some fans have much shorter distances to travel than others, the only fair way is to rotate it.  As much as I dread traveling to McMinnville next year, it is only fair.

What's wrong with Lebanon's gym?  It has a great basketball atmosphere.  I prefer it to any gym in the district.  White Co.'s gym would be second.  It, like Lebanon, is a little older with some distinction to it.

825579171[/snapback]

oh goody goody, bunch of good stuff to address in this one. as far the game bewteen Oakland and Lebanon goes, i can see both sides of this argument. Oakland wanted to make a statement with a big win over a lebanon team( i know that sounds cruel but such is the way of the world) Like you, i didnt find a whole lot of benefit for either team by Oakland pressing the entire 1st half, but i think Grandstaff wanted her starters to get in 1 good half before she played the reserves for the 2nd half. Granted, you can achieve playing a good half by not pressing after the lead is too much for the opposing team to overcome, but the last time against lebanon, over struggled mightily against lebanon and even gave lebanon a chance to win, so the motivation to play well against lebanon was strong im sure. however, i dont condone running up the score and sometimes a team just plays so well that you cant help it, such is Oakland's case. Did Coach Grandstaff run up the score? Yes, but to a degree. If you look at the results of Oakland's games this year, Grandstaff has had a tendency of letting her starters out too early in a blowout win and resulted in ugly play for the duration of the game, not just for the reserves, but for the starters when they came back in as well

as far as Oakland's capabilities to host a district tourney, i think the high school is more than adequate. You say Oakland needed to print out programs for the district tourney, do you have any idea how much time that takes up? Coach King is the AD as well as the boys basketball coach and he simply just doesnt have enough time in a day to fool with programs, people have a good memory, so use it over the course of the district season and you wont need a program. To say that Oakland's restrooms are pathetic is just untrue. Granted, they arent even close to the best, but they are kept relatively clean and have the capacity to hold a bunch of games in instances such as the championship game. Since principal tackett was hired, he has being doing some major renovation at Oakland, but it simply takes time and he cant fix everything in one fail swoop. As far as low attendance goes, how on earth is that Oakland's fault? Yesterday's games would have had low attendance no matter what district gym they would have been in, simply because everybody knew that those games didnt have that much potential to be good games. Like getthatstuffoutofhere said, rotating district gyms is the best way to go

Not sure how a "big" win over Lebanon is making a statement. Nearly every team that has faced these girls this year has had a "big" win. As stated earlier, this is a very small, young team with 6 of the 7 being fresh/soph. It has been a very trying year for them and I commend them for going out each night and giving their best. No need for other teams to "slap them in the face" and attempt to make a mockery of them. Good luck to these ladies next year thumb