What has happened to HWT?

WReStlenFan

Ive wrestled heavyweight for two years and I rarely took a shot. I do a ton of throws just because I weigh 225 and can't ever shoot underneath a fatter guy and get the leg up. Now as far as this weekend goes with Davis wrestling Vandergriff, Davis stalled most of the time and didnt even attempt to do anything. I think Vandergriff is a much better wrestler, but it's just you cant wrestle heavyweight like a 189 or a 215. Heavyweight wrestling is very slow sometimes and more about power.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do however have what they call "outside singles" or "knee picks" to where you do not have to get under an enormous Hwt. I would just rather see a Hwt learn a shot of some type rather than stalling. As far as Davis and Vandergiff.. Vandergiff should have made some better decisions it seems if he shot on Davis and was not able to finish. But some Hwts appear to not have any moves except defense or to stall.

Edited by WReStlenFan

I agree. HWT is a very different weight class than all others. Other smaller weight classes, you're able to "slick" another wrestler or not use strength as much as skill or speed. But when a kid is 215-275lbs, speed is a rarity. I also think coaches teaching Heavies shots is... for the most part lost time. Or atleast sometimes it looks like it when a HW takes about 1 shot a match. I think maybe coaches SHOULD teach more throws. "Airshows" are always fun to watch. Slide-bys are great and never forget about the ol' "duck." Although these are very basic moves, momentum is the key. Something like a Sumo match.

Just a Thought.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Mr. Abbot. My earlier post was directed more towards the HW themselves. Not how the HW matches were officiated. Although, since you posted. I would like to know, what do you personally or officials in general look for to call "stalling." (not just in Heavy matches either.) And also my other question is, What critia does an official use to call stalling as opposed to a stale mate. Sometimes it seems like an official tends to call a stale mate over a stalling call, for example, if the top man has "legs in" and the bottom man is doing close to nothing.

Just a Question, wanted to see what you thought.

Thanks

i watched the union heavy weight take down the sullivan east with a high croth and a double leg. i watched him take the overton kid to his back with doubles, and he had a nice double in the finals with the kid from cordova in the air but stepped out of bounds. when there is one heavy weight shooting and the other not, that is a boring match.

what time is that? You Georgians arent too shabby at wrestling B)

one more thing... did anyone here see the 2003 state final between Pennington and Crosby? It was one of the best matches I've ever seen. Constant motion... shots, counters, throws, etc. Unfortunately, they were so evenly matched that neither could ever score offensively and Jason lost 2-1 double OT. Should have been Best Match in my opinion