Criteria for OW?

rigger101

I agree!  To be a wrestler that wins state at an extremely difficult weight class, have an undefeated season, and only have one takedown scored on him all year, he definately should have been the OW, not some kid that almost lost to a freshman.  :rolleyes:

825577909[/snapback]

I heard a bunch of people who I didn't even know saying that Saturday at the arena right after the other guy got it.

Edited by rigger101

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe if he had made a impact on the state tourny for 4 years he would of gotten it ...  obviously the refs thought danny performed the best and got the award he deserved.

825578073[/snapback]

It's not an award for the 4 years. It's suppose to be for that Tourney. I guess your reason is the truth. Not fair but the truth!

It's not an award for the 4 years.  It's suppose to be for that Tourney.  I guess your reason is the truth.    Not fair but the truth!

825578128[/snapback]

The fair thing is the refs decide what they decide. The bad part is that now either people think less of Danny or maybe less of Knox. Neither deserves that. I enjoyed both of their matches and both of their wins. The refs vote. the wrestlers wrestle who ever wins their side of the bracket. Coleman had no impact on the bracket, other than being seated first on his side.

The whole freshman slant on the conversation makes no sense to me. Do we now need to have a tournament that is only for certain grades to satisfy the fans? I think not.

I agree 'King....I think it is amazing that a wrestler can go through a season at any weight class and only have one takedown scored on him...There should be some kind of award for that. BUT the OW is for the wrestler that is most outstanding in the state tournament, and I still agree with the decision of the ref's on this one. (I don't agree with ref often, but in this case I don't think they could all be wrong!)

My final 2 cents... thumb

Rigger, your remarks about the Chattanooga area wrestlers getting OW suggests that those guys were undeserving, yet received their honor only because of their zip code. I can only speak for the Bradley wrestlers, but exactly which one was undeserving? Or was it all of them?

Heath Eslinger was a 2 time Champion and 3 time placewinner who went on to become the All-time Career wins holder at UT Chattanooga. He also finished 3rd and 5th ? at the prestigious Midlands tournament.

Josh West defeated defending State Champion Shannon Sayne of Halls by Tech. fall in his finals match. He was a 2 time Champion and 3 time finalist. He was a high school All-American, finishing 7th at the Senior Nationals in Pittsburgh PA.

Matt Keller was a 4 time State Champion. As a Freshman, he defeated 2X defending Champ, Casey Brewster by a Major decision. He had also beaten defending Champion, Matt Sweeton in the semi's by either a major or a tech. His Senior year he became a HS All American by finishing 3rd at the Senior Nationals in Cleveland Ohio and 5th at the Tulsa Freestlye Nationals (he was also 3rd at the Cadet Nationals the year before in Tulsa). He is currently wrestling for the U. of Nebraska and is ranked 7th in the country in DI.

Rusty Blackmon was a 3 time finalist and 2 time Champion. In the finals, he pinned his opponent in somewhere around 30 seconds. He won the Shalles award that year. It's a National award given to the most dominant high school pinner in the nation. He finished 4th in the Country at the Senior Nationals in Delaware, becoming a HS All-American. He's currently in his 3rd year of eligibility at Ok. State University. He was one match from All-American last year at the NCAA tourn.

Quinn Gibson was a 4 time finalist and 3 time Champion. He is currently wrestling for Coach Terry Brands at UT Chattanooga. During the Summer between his Junior and Senior years, he drove to Tulsa OK and won the Tulsa Folkstyle Nationals.

My point is that these young men acheived these very lofty accomplishments through hard work and dedication. What kind of adult would publically suggest that they somehow were not deserving, but instead were recipients of some type of home cooking? What exactly are your credentials to make such a judgement? Poorly done...

Edited by legman

Rigger, your remarks about the Chattanooga area wrestlers getting OW suggests that those guys were undeserving, yet received their honor only because of their zip code.  I can only speak for the Bradley wrestlers, but exactly which one was undeserving?  Or was it all of them?

Heath Eslinger was a 2 time Champion and 3 time placewinner who went on to become the All-time Career wins holder at UT Chattanooga.  He also finished 3rd and 5th ? at the prestigious Midlands tournament.

Josh West defeated defending State Champion Shannon Sayne of Halls by Tech. fall in his finals match.  He was a 2 time Champion and 3 time finalist.  He was a high school All-American, finishing 7th at the Senior Nationals in Pittsburgh PA.

Matt Keller was a 4 time State Champion. As a Freshman, he defeated 2X defending Champ, Casey Brewster by a Major decision.  He had also beaten defending Champion, Matt Sweeton in the semi's by either a major or a tech. His Senior year he became a HS All American by finishing 3rd at the Senior Nationals in Cleveland Ohio and 5th at the Tulsa Freestlye Nationals (he was also 3rd at the Cadet Nationals the year before in Tulsa).  He is currently wrestling for the U. of Nebraska and is ranked 7th in the country in DI.

Rusty Blackmon was a 3 time finalist and 2 time Champion.  In the finals, he pinned his opponent in somewhere around 30 seconds.  He won the Shalles award that year.  It's a National award given to the most dominant high school pinner in the nation. He finished 4th in the Country at the Senior Nationals in Delaware, becoming a HS All-American.  He's currently in his 3rd year of eligibility at Ok. State University.  He was one match from All-American last year at the NCAA tourn.

Quinn Gibson was a 4 time finalist and 3 time Champion.  He is currently wrestling for Coach Terry Brands at UT Chattanooga.  During the Summer between his Junior and Senior years, he drove to Tulsa OK and won the Tulsa Folkstyle Nationals.

My point is that these young men acheived these very lofty accomplishments through hard work and dedication.  What kind of adult would publically suggest that they somehow were not deserving, but instead were recipients of some type of home cooking?  What exactly are your credentials to make such a judgement?  Poorly done...

825578404[/snapback]

I agree with your assessment of Chattanooga wrestlers deserving OW awards and I certainly don't want anyone to think that Justin Knox (my son) feels he was in anyway slighted. Justin's goal was to win state,never a mention of OW before or after the tournament I appreciate those who think Justin was worthy of the award but Danny Coleman earned the OW award case closed !!

Edited by OO5659

825578404[/snapback]

Coach my credentials are a parent and fan. I cannot argue with any of your facts. Your one of the greatest public coaches in TN history.

I never kept up with OW until last year. I tried to check TSSAA and see who all had won it over the last 10 years. It only let me go back to 1998. I was surprised that the majority came from one area. I never suggested that one of those wrestlers were not worthy. Please, don't put words in my mouth, I don't have any room left from my triple E foot being in there. :)

All the young men you wrote about are all great wrestlers. I think James was in the running last year and read the arguments about it but never posted because I felt I didn't know enough about the wrestlers to have any input.

This year I think it was a slap in the face to Meredith and Knox. I do feel that it's becoming bias. I've been asking how they figure OW for two years now and I've never been given a clear answer.

I just stated some facts also. thumb

Was I trying to see if other folks felt that way? You bet.

It wasn't an attempt to attack the great program you built but I do feel that folks want the State Tourney moved because an air of this Bias toward the Chattanooga area. I don't want it moved. I like the short drive to Choo Choo town. It's where my boys learned how to wrestle and feels like home.

I'm not the one who came up with the "Home Cooking" part but it was fuel for the fire. With all the great wrestlers you have coached, isn't there a time you thought it should have gone to another young man?

Maybe some of us would have felt better if we knew the 2nd place vote. The Chattanooga area has to know these feelings are out there! Don't kill the messenger great Caesar of TN wrestling.

The fair thing is the refs decide what they decide.  The bad part is that now either people think less of Danny or maybe less of Knox.  Neither deserves that.  I  enjoyed both of their matches and both of their wins.  The refs vote.  the wrestlers wrestle who ever wins their side of the bracket.  Coleman had no impact on the bracket, other than being seated first on his side.

The whole freshman slant on the conversation makes no sense to me.  Do we now need to have a tournament that is only for certain grades to satisfy the fans?  I think not.

825578168[/snapback]

Tex give me a break! Your saying that wrestling freshmen is the same as wrestling a senior! Not in my day or now!

Tex give me a break!  Your saying that wrestling freshmen is the same as wrestling a senior!  Not in my day or now!

825578510[/snapback]

Sometimes wrestling a freshmen is the same as wrestling a senior. Look at all of the 4x state champions in any state!! Perhaps these freshmen have been wrestling since they could walk and all year round. What about Cael Sanderson doing it at the collegiate level? Do you think the seniors he beat viewed him as "just a freshmen?" Sometimes there are those exceptional freshmen.

I agree with your assessment of Chattanooga wrestlers deserving OW awards and I certainly don't want anyone to think that Justin Knox (my son) feels he was in anyway slighted. Justin's goal was to win state,never a mention of OW before or after the tournament  I appreciate those who think Justin was worthy of the award but Danny Coleman earned the OW award case closed !!

825578464[/snapback]

As OO5659, has stated case closed. I will take my horse and lance and find another windmill to challenge.Quixo-panza.jpg