Kazzy's Area II Stars '04-'05

kazam37

THE GUARDS:

KATE LOWE - HUNTSVILLE - the little blonde dynamo has the ballhandling ability to break down defenses. Best penetrator in the district, and this ability creates open looks for her teammates.

CHYNNA THOMPSON - ONEIDA - has lead the Lady Indians in scoring for two years and is 38-9 as their starting point guard. Has excellent shooting range and has shown a knack for hitting the big shot throughout her career.

TALEAH ARMES - WARTBURG - straw that stirs the Lady Bulldogs drink. It should not take this youngster long to impact her high school team because she seems to respond well to coaching.

CHELSEA ADKISSON - PETROS - good ball skills plus good court vision make her a tough defensive assignment. When she plays well, Petros is very formitable.

ASHTON OWENS - FAIRVIEW - smart player who gets the most out of her ability. Outstanding three point shooter who probably could have taken more shots, were she not so unselfish.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THE FORWARDS:

CHRISTIA SEXTON - ONEIDA - possibly the best defensive player in Area II. Intense competator, who wills her team to wins by making hustle plays on both ends of the court. Never get a bad effort out of this kid.

DEBBIE ELIAS - WARTBURG - another high energy player. Very good in transition because she finishes at the rim the majority of the time. Will be good at the next level because of athletic ability.

APRIL YUST - FAIRVIEW - is she a post or a guard? Displayed range outside that makes you think she will play facing the basket in high school. However, she had a nice touch around the basket as well.

COALFIELD #44 - I'm a little uncertain if this is the right player, but believe this was Coalfield's leading scorer. Good shooter and ability to make plays offensively puts her in the top five.

FEEL FREE TO HELP ME OUT WITH #5!?!?

THE POSTS:

KRISTIN BUNCH - WARTBURG - has very good range for true post player. Mixes it up under the glass and makes her fare share of rebounds for them. Her intensity makes up for lack of height.

KAYSHA TERRY - ONEIDA - the most athleticly gifted post player in conference. Her rebound totals were double the next highest on the Lady Indians team. Very strong early season, but seemed to wear down toward the end. Relentless.

ANNA FREELS - WARTBURG - long player, who defends inside well. Looks like she's still growing, which isn't good for the competition in the future. Must become more "polished" on the offensive end.

CRYSTAL FOUNTAIN - PETROS - her touch around 15 feet puts her in the top five. Her defense needs some work because its hard for her to hold position against bigger players.

KELSI LAY - ONEIDA - a talented player that has range outside of the three point line, which is rare for a natural post. When her focus is solely on basketball she could be a special player.

I'll comment on what I have seen.

TALEAH ARMES (G)- WARTBURG- High school caliber point guard when shes on and can take over the game when her team is struggling. It's stinks that she'll probably have to stay at the point in high school because of her scoring ability at the 2 guard.

CHYNNA THOMPSON (G) - ONEIDA- This girl is a great penetrator, can change a game and fearless.

APRIL YUST (F)- FAIRVIEW I disagree about this girl playing the post in high school. I think she already has high school moves and can wear you out even if you double team her. It's best to just to try to not let her get the ball. Kaz, you may have a better take on her because I only seen her twice this year but I was impressed.

COALFIELD #41 (F)-Olivia Scarbrough-A 7th grader that is a little unorthodox with her shot but she hits from everywhere.

KRISTIN BUNCH (F)- WARTBURG- She came on late in the year after a few team problems early in the year. She done a 180 and became a team leader and if she grows a little will be a hard load to handle in high school. I was very proud of her for how she started playing for the team.

KRYSTAL FOUNTAIN (G/F?)-PJ- A solid player for PJ each game and a 7th grader.

ALANA JORDAN (G) #11-COALFIELD- The best 6th grader I seen this year. She can drive and change the flow of the game by herself. She will be the key to Coalfield's success next year.

KATE LOWE (G)- HUNTSVILLE- I didn't see this girl play this year but one of my friends teaches at Huntsville and he says she is as good as advertised.

FANCY GIBSON (G) OAKDALE- She is a solid player as well. She did the things that Oakdale needed.

ANNA FREELS (F) WARTBURG- When she is on, she is a good all-around player especially as a shot blocker. She needs to put on some weight because she'll get pushed around in high school.

Edited by BobbyBoucher

ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM:

KATE LOWE - steals leader on her team and if you fall asleep she will be going the other way with your ball!

CRISTIA SEXTON - if she is assigned to you, you will be defensed! Guarded OS's Christopher and held her to 11 total points.

DEBBIE ELIAS - so athletic that even when she makes a mistake she has the physical ability to recover.

KAYSHA TERRY - another athletic player that can close up the shop inside and if you miss your shot she will get your rebound.

ANNA FREELS - just too long to leave off the team. Hard to shoot over her because of the wingspan. Forces people to change shots.

ALL-OFFENSIVE TEAM:

CHYNNA THOMPSON - can shoot from anywhere. Hits the big shot over and over again. If she didn't have good teammates she could easily average 18 a night.

TALEAH ARMES - excellent outside shooter and can take it to the rim as well. I agree with BobbyB, she should be a shooting guard at the next level.

CHRISTA SEXTON - when she is hitting her outside shots, her offensive game is very difficult to stop. You either foul her going to the hole or she makes the bucket.

APRIL YUST - she showed her game well in the conference tournament, people who were there couldn't help but to be impressed with this forward/post scorer.

KRISTEN BUNCH - dramatic improvement over the course of the season. Very good at nailing shots from 15 feet in.

Honorable Mention:

KATE LOWE - too good at creating her own shots and penetration to not recognize this offensive player. Will have to work on outside shot a bit.

OLIVIA SCARBROUGH - made an impression at the conference tournament much like Yust, probably a year away from first team status.

CRYSTAL FOUNTAIN - much like Bunch with shooting ability around 15 feet, but will need to get stronger in the future.

Coach of the Year:

DAVIS - WARTBURG - lead the Lady Bulldogs to South Division Regular Season and Morgan Co. Tournament Titles. Finished 2nd to Oneida in TMSAA Area II Tournament and also 2nd place finish in TMSAA Sectional Tournament to Champion Oliver Springs. Overall Record of 16-7. (I think)

Honorable Mention:

NEWPORT - ONEIDA - North Division Regular Season Champions finishing undefeated against north division teams. Won the TMSAA Area II Tournament and lost in the Semi-finals of the TMSAA Sectional Tournament to eventual champion Oliver Springs. Overall Record of 20-3

I am pretty sure Wartburg only played 25 games total, but again I am not certain. If they only lost six games, then they were 19-6. The Morgan Co. Tournament counts towards their regular season games, so thats 18. 3 TMSAA Tournament games, and 4 Sectional games for a total of 25 games. So my guess is 19-6. Sorry, :D my mistake.

Area II Specialty Picks:

PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT:

CHYNNA THOMPSON - I'm sure there will be some debate here, but this young lady has repeatedly hit important late game shots throughout her Jr. High career. Her one and one from the free throw line allowed enough cushion to beat a solid Oakdale club last year. Hit the buzzer beater at Wartburg this year to help the Lady Indians excape with a win. Her three pointer in this years championship game gave momentum back to Oneida in the fourth quarter.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

KATE LOWE - No individual player meant more to their teams offensive production than this young lady. Her constant ability to put herself and her teammates in scoring situations is the reason she gets the nod over other players in the area. I do not know her scoring average, yet I feel safe in saying she accounted for over twenty points a game(thats considering points, assists, and offensive rebounds) Again this might be debatable, but when you watch her play in the future she might change your mind!

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

CHRISTIA SEXTON - By far the best pound for pound defensive player in the district. Lead Oneida in steals and guarded other teams best offensive threat when in man-to-man defensive sets. Her intense desire to play on both ends of the court seperates her from others in this area. Never takes a play off.

BEST ALL AROUND:

TALEAH ARMES - Can drive, post, shoot the outside shot, pass, run in transition, and dribble equally well. Tough defender and pretty exceptional rebounder for a guard. Her being so well-rounded as a player had much to do with Wartburg's success this year.

thumb Kaz thumb