Gleason Good Hosts....for the most part

tidemom

After spending the previous week at Lake County, how refreshing to experience great hospitality and sportsmanship at Gleason. Your new facility is really great. Every night, your parking "guys" have been friendly and helpful, and well organized. Nice clean restrooms... The games have been fun to watch. Overall, a pleasant experience. The only "chink" in your armor is your poor choice of playing "Dixie" during the halftime of the girls' final last night. I hope this was just an oversite (Freudian slip perhaps?), but how insensitive can you be? I'm glad our girls were still in the lockeroom at the time. I hope you will use better judgement tomorrow night as the LC/Peabody game doesn't need any more fuel for their fire. Congratulations on an otherwise super job as hosts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break...I am sure the music was not played in a demeaning fashion at all. Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about something all the time.

As far as the chinks in the armour...the tournament staff at Trenton has so many chinks, they don't have any armour left.

The staff at Gleason put on a great couple of weeks of high school basketball! Weakley Co. schools have some of the best hospitality in the state.

After spending the previous week at Lake County, how refreshing to experience great hospitality and sportsmanship  at Gleason. Your new facility is really great.  Every night, your parking "guys" have been friendly and helpful, and well organized. Nice clean restrooms...  The games have been fun to watch.  Overall, a pleasant experience.  The only "chink" in your armor is your poor choice of playing "Dixie" during the halftime of the girls' final last night.  I hope this was just an oversite (Freudian slip perhaps?), but how insensitive can you be?  I'm glad our girls were still in the lockeroom at the time.    I hope you will use better judgement tomorrow night as the LC/Peabody game doesn't need any more fuel for their fire.  Congratulations on an otherwise super job as hosts.

825596771[/snapback]

Nothing like saying great job, but you're fired <_<

Give me a break...I am sure the music was not played in a demeaning fashion at all.  Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about something all the time.

As far as the chinks in the armour...the tournament staff at Trenton has so many chinks, they don't have any armour left.

The staff at Gleason put on a great couple of weeks of high school basketball!  Weakley Co. schools have some of the best hospitality in the state.

825596786[/snapback]

It has been incredible. Beautiful gym and facilities. Everyone at Gleason deserves a big pat on the back. Their first year of hosting tournaments and they've hit a homerun! Congratulations!

As to the music, I was a bit surprised that song was played. 1.) When I'm at a game, I want to hear something upbeat and positive - new or old. Listen to what is played at all of the major sports arenas - you'll never hear something slow. 2.) I've watched Ted Barclay - who's done a very good job announcing - and he's just punching (radio term for pushing the start button) a tape player or a cd and whatever's next plays. One thing's for sure, it hasn't been too loud or too soft - it's been at the right level.

It may have been played because someone whom has something to do with the music likes the song - I don't know.

When I'm doing music and announcing PA - which I do for many a baseball games & tournaments in the summer and band contests in the fall - I always try and keep it upbeat and clean. It just aids in making the event a fun environment. But, one thing's for sure - You can't please everyone all of the time.

DIXIE??? What's wrong with DIXIE??? I like DIXIE!!!!!!!!

825596827[/snapback]

Poor Ted Barclay. I guess he's just not politically correct with his music choices. Thanks for all of your positive comments for Sportsradio & I. Be sure and don't play any Gangsta Rap, I personally find it offensive & I don't get to go to the locker room!

Edited by NWhoopaholic

It has been incredible.  Beautiful gym and facilities.  Everyone at Gleason deserves a big pat on the back.  Their first year of hosting tournaments and they've hit a homerun!  Congratulations!

As to the music, I was a bit surprised that song was played.  1.)  When I'm at a game, I want to hear something upbeat and positive - new or old.  Listen to what is played at all of the major sports arenas - you'll never hear something slow.  2.)  I've watched Ted Barclay - who's done a very good job announcing - and he's just punching (radio term for pushing the start button) a tape player or a cd and whatever's next plays.  One thing's for sure, it hasn't been too loud or too soft - it's been at the right level.

It may have been played because someone whom has something to do with the music likes the song - I don't know. 

When I'm doing music and announcing PA - which I do for many a baseball games & tournaments in the summer and band contests in the fall - I always try and keep it upbeat and clean.  It just aids in making the event a fun environment.  But, one thing's for sure - You can't please everyone all of the time.

825596836[/snapback]

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice. And I bet you are right in that nothing was intentional with the song choice....I think what got my attention first was the SLLOOOOOOWWWWness of the song! It was weird! I happen to personally like "Dixie" too, just don't want to hear it at a ballgame, sitting among other parents who happen to be African American.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice.  And I bet you are right in that nothing was intentional with the song choice....I think what got my attention first was the SLLOOOOOOWWWWness of the song!  It was weird!  I happen to personally like "Dixie" too, just don't want to hear it at a ballgame, sitting among other parents who happen to be African American.

825596856[/snapback]

They played "rocky top" and you don't hear me complaining.... :D<_<:D

Let me add: I have nothing against the song...I think it is a beautiful work of art that is part of our American Landscape and History. Not because of racial overtones...in fact, I don't think of it that way at all. I put it in the same catagory as "1812 Overture", "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and other American Standards. I just think to slow to play at a ballgame. <_<

I was there and never noticed the music at halftime probably to busy fuming over the first half and how bad both teams were shooting the ball. But come on your just opening a can of beans that was never meant to be opened. Gleason did an outstanding job and their new gym is awesome. Don't start something when there is nothing to start!!