Which team was the biggest dissapointment?

spydaman2405

Union City losing wasn't that big of a shock.

It was going to happen at some point. UC had no chance at getting to the state tournament.

They had no post play and no player who could defend a player over 6-4.

Fayette-Ware, Covington, Haywood, Mitchell and R-E all have decent post players and they have some height. UC would have played one of those teams in an elimination game and they would have been done.

UC did have good guard play and play great defense with nonstop pressing but UC got by on smoke, mirrors and good coaching.

The teams left standing in substate are the best in the west.

I do think that several West State teams would be in the state tournament this season, if they were in the Mid State or East State.

You could make a decent argument that eight teams from the West that don't get in, are are state tournament worthy.

The loser of Mitchell/Haywood is arguably the second best team in Class AA and they won't be going.

What will be disappointing will be going to the state tournament, seeing bad teams in and getting blown out.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union City losing wasn't that big of a shock.

It was going to happen at some point. UC had no chance at getting to the state tournament.

They had no post play and no player who could defend a player over 6-4.

Fayette-Ware, Covington, Haywood, Mitchell and R-E all have decent post players and they have some height. UC would have played one of those teams in an elimination game and they would have been done.

UC did have good guard play and play great defense with nonstop pressing but UC got by on smoke, mirrors and good coaching.

The teams left standing in substate are the best in the west.

I do think that several West State teams would be in the state tournament this season, if they were in the Mid State or East State.

You could make a decent argument that eight teams from the West that don't get in, are are state  tournament worthy.

The loser of Mitchell/Haywood is arguably the second best team in Class AA and they won't be going.

What will be disappointing will be going to the state tournament, seeing bad teams in and getting blown out.

825603576[/snapback]

Good post by Corso. UC was not going to survive through Fayette Ware, Brownsville, and then Mitchell or Raleigh Egypt. Too much athletic ability and size by those teams. Which is the reason they lost to Ripley who was physically much bigger and stronger and used that to their advantage. Plus they were able to neutralize UC quickness. UC will face the same problem next year when facing big strong physical play.

No doubt Mitchell-Haywood two of the top four teams in the state. Throw in Raleigh Egypt and Bolivar and the west was loaded.

I will have to go with Bradley Central. They were number the number 2 team in class AAA, plus White Station ( the team that would never let them take the state crown) was having a down year. This was without question their year. A loss in the first round of the region is bad enough but to Red Bank and by 20. Wow they have to be the biggest flop of the season. What are everyone else's thoughts?

825602045[/snapback]

bradley wasn't a dissapiontment they only lost 3 or 4 games this year and just got upset by a red bank team that was determined to win

Garland, that is exactly what I'm talking about. What were the expectations for Bradley at the start of the District tourny? I know for a fact it wasn't to just make it to the region tourny. They were wanting to make it to state and when they got there they were wanting to win it. So yes they did have a good season, however they were still a dissapointment because they lost!

Bradley lost eight seniors, two all-staters, off the team that went to state three years. Yes, they were very disappointed losing in region play, but all-in-all, I think everyone was pleasantly surprised at how well they did this year. No one expected them to be district champs or to be ranked 2 in the state. They had a great year for it to be a rebuilding year for them. Look for them to be back in full force next year as they are returning most of their players. No, it was not a disappointing season but it WAS a disappointing end to a great season. But, hey, last year was a disappointing end to a great career for most of the guys too. Anytime Bradley ends the season with a loss, it is a disappointment, because Coach Smith is never satisfied with anything but number one. That's why he is such a great coach.

In 10-AAA...Even though this district was extremely weak, I was expecting Clarksville-Northeast to go deep into the tournament led by two Division I signees in Drake Reed(Austin Peay) and Thomas Pfaff(Lipscomb). That was a big shocker for them to get beat by Gallatin in the first round of Region. Also I thought Dickson Co led by Rice signee would get far also because their team was overall solid.

825602478[/snapback]

All of 10AAA was a dissapointment. The way dist. 9 put it to us in the region proved that. Regular season Northwest was a big dissapointment.

If you're speaking from a seasonal standpoint, my choice would CSAS (Chattanooga Arts & Sciences). You have a very experienced backcourt a junior superstar emerging in Powell and more size than most teams in your district. They had the talent of a small junior college, but they played very inconsistent and defense wa never a priority. They just tried to outscore everybody. I attended several (over 7) games, and I never saw 1 charge taken. In fact I only saw 2 charges attempted to be taken. I expected a lot more out of them this year.

Doc

Hope for the best and expect the worst?

please correct me if im wrong but hasnt a team from 9-AAA won that region for a couple of years now? Hasnt 9-aaa kind of dominated.....i really am not sure....i know that in 03 henry county had a good squad and gave hendersonville (a state qualifier) all they could handle.....but thinkin back to aroun 99-2000, it seems that 9aaa has ran things.....curious about what the years before that were like