How about honest soccer for a change?

Whitey

This chat was started by someone with a very low level of soccer understanding. I completly see how someone who is average in high school but has never really been able to make it on the select level could consider these things as a way to cheat. If he could just once play at a high level he would see that this is the way the game is played. There is a difference between being a smart soccer player (slowing the speed of play by not letting an opposing team get a quick kick or taking a player down in the box to prevent a goal) and cheating. I can also see why a player on a weak team who will win few games this year would look for reasons to explane their losses. so good luck Whitey :o

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This chat was started by someone with a very low level of soccer understanding.  I completly see how someone who is average in high school but has never really been able to make it on the select level could consider these things as a way to cheat.  If he could just once play at a high level he would see that this is the way the game is played.  There is a difference between being a smart soccer player (slowing the speed of play by not letting an opposing team get a quick kick or taking a player down in the box to prevent a goal) and cheating.  I can also see why a player on a weak team who will win few games this year would look for reasons to explane their losses.  so good luck Whitey  :o

825614590[/snapback]

I actually have played on all of the levels you have "bragged" about, yet I still see his point. You don't have to be an arrogant jerk to point out that you dissagree.

While I know I am in the minority: it's not that you win, but how you win that I find is the most important.

Thank you Whitney for bring this subject up.

I believe it is an important one.

Some of the low things that go on ...

Taking a player down from behind

Grabbing (Depends on Ref)

Coach yelling at constantly ref

Clearing ball when other team has a foul, penalty kick

Cussing

Stepping on a player that is flat on the ground

On the other hand some of the greatest players I have coached and played against showed ...

Helping opposing player up

Apologizing

Congratulating other team player on a good save, move or score

Telling ref he did a good job

Still soccer is the greatest of sports.

This chat was started by someone with a very low level of soccer understanding.  I completly see how someone who is average in high school but has never really been able to make it on the select level could consider these things as a way to cheat.  If he could just once play at a high level he would see that this is the way the game is played.  There is a difference between being a smart soccer player (slowing the speed of play by not letting an opposing team get a quick kick or taking a player down in the box to prevent a goal) and cheating.  I can also see why a player on a weak team who will win few games this year would look for reasons to explane their losses.  so good luck Whitey  :D

825614590[/snapback]

It's to bad that you can't express your views without taking cheap shots.

Is diving a part of the game yes-should it be condoned I don't think so.

For those that will do anything to win-Think sportsmanship.

If it's allowed I'm gonna do it. And most things illegal, in the dark. If you don't cheat, you don't win. Love it or hate it, but it's the truth.

825614812[/snapback]

Totally wrong. You could not be farther from the truth. This is why athletes behave that way, because of that belief.

What you have done is belittled the success of the programs who have accomplished success by saying they have had to cheat to win.

Totally wrong.  You could not be farther from the truth.  This is why athletes behave that way, because of that belief. 

What you have done is belittled the success of the programs who have accomplished success by saying they have had to cheat to win.

825614815[/snapback]

Chill, hahaha, I just wanted to say hate it or love it, so I had to say something to where I could say that. I don't cheat, except for when a player tries to take cheap shots, then I take them out, that's the only time. But you'd be surprised of the players, I KNOW, that believe you have to cheat to win.

This has been an interesting thread. Here is my take on it. All of it is part of the game. It is up to the refs to control it. If they do not then it will continue and get progressivley worse as the game goes on. Some Select teams will begin by playing by the rules but if the opposing team does not play by the rules and the ref does not stop it, then the other team has no alternative but to "get into the mud with the pig". The unfortunate thing when you get into the mud with a pig is that you both get all dirty but the pig enjoys it. I have seen lots of elite teams. The teams that are trying to be great but do not have the skill level to get to the top tend to be the worse offenders. The truly great teams are the ones that are skilled and have no need to break the rules of the game.