What might have been....(Oakland + Siegel)

NumberOneTwice

actually they did....with Blackman almost at max capacity and Oakland around 1900 combined with the growth rate of Murfreesboro Siegel did need to be built....even with Siegel Blackman is still at 2000 kids.  The next high school will be in Christiana to relieve overcrowded Riverdale

825616866[/snapback]

We did need one but not so close to oakland, it took way more from oakland than it did blackman.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the only land available inside the city limits that would help off-set the growth in that area....without building a high school in walter hill that is. While it pulled alot from Oakland Blackman saw a lot leave too it jsut wasn't seen as much in attendance because of the zoning changes with Blackman taking on more of the almaville area

Blackman had all of the students from sulpher springs over including breckenridge, riverbend, and 3/4ths of the houses on and around Haynes. and with the growth of houses around Blackman booming also it was ideal for the school to be where it was. In the case of Blackman, they built a high school first and assumed the houses and population would come after, and that is now starting to prove correct.

Edited by Harris' hooligans

Dreams are nice to have. Just think if the 4 starters at Siegel hadn't jumped ship and gone to Siegel. Despite the school being built...they should have still been at OHS. So OHS really wouldn't have been hit hard in basketball with the building of the school like other sports were.I guess you can thank the "zone exemptions commitee" for that one. Rutherford County is really bad about GRANTING those to beef up other schools.But, I will sure admit OHS has had its share of them to build up their baseball program. And I disagree with that whole concept. Stay where you are zoned. BTW......OHS would have had ASSASSIN too in that mix. Can you say RING?

Thats right ASSASSIN lives about 2 or 3 miles from Oakland and is zoned, Preston Smith lives right across the street from Bellair so, add those 2 to the mix.....YIKES.

Or what if Blackman was never built and combine RHS' and BHS' teams last year. Riverdale won the regular season title and Blackman won the tournament. You have Phillips, Lee, Price, Lions, Perkins, Sneed, as the stadouts then you have quality players such as Wade, Lavender, Denney, P Smith, C Harris, J Onwu, Gaston Miller, Terrance Savannah, Rahmel Oliver, Scott Thomas, i mean who would have beat this team.

Or you just take the talent within Riverdale school this year. Ok you still have Ryan Denney, Kevin Smith, Preston Smith, Michael Lavender, Kit Hartsfield, Jesse Mayfield, Andrew Barrett, Scott Thomas, and Tee Burnett. Then you take Dave Thomas which is a heck of athlete and bball player (which woulda played if not for a torn ACL), then you got Chris Perkins who was an all district selection last year and started is sophmore and junior year, then you take Gaston Miller who started on varsity as the PG as a freshmen and played significant minutes last year, then take Rahmel Oliver who can get up like AD and K Smith and is a tremedous athlete, then you take Terrance Savannah who is an exceptional guard and was a key player and starter for Riverdale's distict champion team last year, i mean WOW, they would be even deeper, maybe too deep and would have steam rolled right to the state tournament. Then you take Dixon from Oakland and put him back at Riverdale where he went the first 1 and 1/2 of his high school career. They would have been unstoppable. As freshmen they went 19 and 0 and lost in overtime to Lebanon for the championship. They would have had 2 state titles at Riverdale, football and bball..........what could have been.......

Or what if Blackman was never built and combine RHS' and BHS' teams last year. Riverdale won  the regular season title and Blackman won the tournament. You have Phillips, Lee, Price, Lions, Perkins, Sneed, as the stadouts then you have quality players such as Wade, Lavender, Denney, P Smith, C Harris, J Onwu, Gaston Miller, Terrance Savannah, Rahmel Oliver, Scott Thomas, i mean who would have beat this team.

825617169[/snapback]

True...however neither one of those teams have had the success of both Siegel and Oakland the past two years (both teams made it to substate this year, oakland did it last year)...and how do you know that all of those blackman players would have remained at riverdale....some could have been gone to Oakland. I know the area of town that I live in was zoned Oakland before Blackman opened up, and then it became BHS territory.

At least your county has schools that are way bigger than 1000 students and can compete in AAA. My county (Greene) in east tennessee has 5 high schools and the biggest has 830 people. That school is Greeneville High and we have to compete in AAA even though we're not supposed to because of our administration. They should combine some of the schools and have bigger schools that could compete well in AAA.

well i know for a fact Lee, Price and Phillips would have been at Riverdale. I am good friends with all 3. Lee and Price played at Rockvale and lived in that area and everyone from Rockvale always went to Riverale before BHS opened up. I played at Barfield with Phillips. Lee comes from a family with like 7 kids and all of em went to Riverdale except Kris. Phillips brother Trey played bball for Riverdale and they lived on Warrior Dr. the whole time Phillips was at Blackman. I dont know about Sneed b/c i dont know where he lives, but Wade would have been at RHS too. And now that i think about it, like i said, Riverdale DID win it in Football, would have won it and basketball, and baseball made it to state, then you add Price to that team = another state title.........GOSH.