Will Tyler Smith go to UT now?

Gerry Bertier

That's just not accurate.  Smith signed with UT during the early signing period in November, along with Matthew Dotson and Damien Harris.  There is a two week window in November that basketball prospects can sign early before their senior seasons.

Normally for a school to release a signee, there has to be some kind of unusual circumstances, like there was with Jordan Howell and Georgia two years ago.  That was when Georgia was found guilty of NCAA rules and placed on probation.  With those circumstances, UGA release Howell, who then signed with Tennessee.

In cases where it is a simply coaching change a release isn't normally granted.  The standard NCAA letter of intent says that the prospect understands that he is signing with a school, and not a coach.  Smith and the other two did sign the LOI.

825617713[/snapback]

They've gotten really lax on allowing that in recent years, though.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could transfer from D1A-D1AA and play in football HTV.  Look at Ingle Martin who lost his starting job to Leak two years ago.  Last year, Martin was the starting quarterback at Furman. 

You can't transfer on the same level OR transfer up a level to play and not have to sit out a year.  If you choose to transfer down to a "lesser level" then you don't have to sit out.

825618231[/snapback]

I-AA only exists in football.

Some of the names that have been thrown around for the coaching vacancy are:

Tom Crean, Marquette; Dana Altman, Creighton; Mike Anderson, UAB.

All of these guys have proved they know a little something about the game, and they all know how to win. The best candidate would probably be Anderson from UAB. He has done something against tougher opponents. I am not really sure why everyone is so shocked or upset by Buzz's firing. The guy hasn't done anything for the team except take UT to the bottom of the SEC. In my opinion any of these three guys will cause Buzz to be forgoten. They will do a great job.

Rumor has it that Chris Lofton may transfer now. I don't know if anyone else had heard that.

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by shocker05

Guest catfish-hunter
Some of the names that have been thrown around for the coaching vacancy are:

Tom Crean, Marquette; Dana Altman, Creighton; Mike Anderson, UAB. 

All of these guys have proved they know a little something about the game, and they all know how to win.  The best candidate would probably be Anderson from UAB.  He has done something against tougher opponents.  I am not really sure why everyone is so shocked or upset by Buzz's firing.  The guy hasn't done anything for the team except take UT to the bottom of the SEC.  In my opinion any of these three guys will cause Buzz to be forgoten.  They will do a great job.

Rumor has it that Chris Lofton may transfer now.  I don't know if anyone else had heard that.

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

825619370[/snapback]

If Lofton leaves, I'll bet money that he winds up at Louisville. Pittino let that kid get away once, but seriously it ain't gonna happen again.

Hey Opperman, my point was that you can not transfer for D-1 school to D-1 school. 1A & 1AA in college football are both on a D-1 level, but it is still considered dropping a playing level in the eyes of the NCAA. In basketball you can't do it period though. For example, if Tyler chose to transfer from Tennessee to Austin Peay then he would have to sit out a year. WHY??? Unlike in football, Austin Peay is considered to be on the same level as UT on the hardwood. Yes it is funny, but it is also true thumb

The same situation happened at Arkansas when Nolan Richardson left.  His whole recruiting class bailed and it was one of his best in years.  Tyler signed with the University however NCAA laws say that if there is a coaching change a player can transfer without losing a year of eligibility.  Tyler Smith will probably ask for a letter of release and its a given that the university will grant it.  Unless they get a big name coach in, I dont see him staying.

825617576[/snapback]

This is correct,when a coach is let go,the incoming recruits can opt out and go somewhere else if they choose and not have to sit out a year.

This is correct,when a coach is let go,the incoming recruits can opt out and go somewhere else if they choose and not have to sit out a year.

825619752[/snapback]

KnoxNews reported that Tennessee's recruiting services contacted Bobby Knight and Knight said he was "intrigued".

Come On Bobby Knight.

thumb

Here's the article.

Knight contacted about UT job

By News Sentinel Staff

March 14, 2005

Texas Tech coach Bob Knight has been contacted about the head basketball coaching opening at Tennessee and said he is "intrigued" about the position, a source within the UT athletic department said.

The Champ Sport firm, which UT hired to help conduct the search, contacted Knight about the job, the source said.

Knight, 63, has had more than 800 wins as a coach and owns a 68-32 record in post-season play.

thumb

Edited by hercules99

Guest catfish-hunter

Bobby Knight would go back to Indiana before he ever comes to Tennessee. WHY??? In this state, football reigns supreme. THAT IS ESPECIALLY TRUE ON ROCKY TOP!!! Where Bobby Knight coaches, he wants (I mean demands) to be #1. The man wants to be the center of attention and with 800 wins who can blame him??? Louisville just had a terrific year in football last fall and the move to the Big East is only gonna help, but still the #1 thing there is Rick Pittino's basketball team. WHY??? Just like Knight, Pittino has a gigantic ego that demands that he be #1 (center of attention). Bobby Knight would not ever come and coach at UT because he would play second fiddle behind Phllip Fulmer's football team.

I know that there is about to be some genius to say that football is #1 in the state of Texas and that is 100% true, HOWEVER that is true at both the University of Texas & at Texas A&M. Nobody really gives a flip nickel about football at Texas Tech, although the Red Raiders have been pretty solid of late and they did beat California this past December in the Holiday Bowl. The fact of the matter is that Bobby Knight would never coach at Texas OR A&M simply because the football legacy at both of those institutions is larger than Knight himself thumb

Just sharing the info with everybody and in Knoxville we have heard Hamilton has 4 coaches in mind and I'm pretty sure two of them are UAB's (Anderson) and Winthrop's (Marshall) but not to sure on the other two. I think to fire Buzz we have to go after bigger name coaches and proven coaches, b/c we dont know if these guys can recruit SEC caliber players or not. The other word is Lutz from Charlotte and he is definitely and X's and O's type coach but not the recruiter right now to make the jump to the SEC. JMO.

But Catfish all I was doing was just putting out there what was said and wrote. On all the talk shows up here on WNOX it was all about Bobby Knight, I think its good that we will show that we are going after top tier coaches. Just don't wanna go through another mid-major coach.

thumb